Running protection

Options
Littlestandrews
Littlestandrews Posts: 96 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I definitely don't want to start a political debate, just wanted some information from others out there like me. I am a female under 5 feet tall and I'm pretty obsessed with running. Because of my husband's work schedule, my job and our son, I have to run early in the morning. Most days I run alone but some days I run with others. My question is if anyone on here carries while they run? I found some running holsters but am leery of purchasing something expensive ($50) to have it be uncomfortable or just not practical. Anyone have any advice or recommendations?

I respect anyone who does not carry. I respect anyone who does. Please don't preach if you don't like guns, just ignore and move on as I'm sure neither of us will change our minds;) I'm not out to shoot for no reason, I just want to be safe. I carry pepper spray but due to some terrible events in my family background, would feel safer to have a weapon when I'm running alone. Obviously, I have a permit. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• moonmistmm
    moonmistmm Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that I don't actually have any useful information about running holsters, but I support what you're asking. It's important to feel safe. Even my dad carries pepper spray on his bike rides, though his may be to prevent goose attacks (he got a concussion the last time).
  • SkinnyWannabeGal
    SkinnyWannabeGal Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If you live in an area where you'd feel safer if you carried a gun with you, then it makes sense to me. Where I live, no one carries anything with them except maybe a fitbit or an ipod so I follow suit. Safety is important though. I only run outdoors in daylight, in a super safe community, so I feel good about my safety here. I hear what you're saying, OP. I would want u to be safe :smile:

As for comfort, I would think that it might be uncomfortable. Maybe you could try one out and if you don't like it, return it? Hopefully they take returns though.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    i live in australia where we have very strict gun control. so no regular people carry. only the criminals and the cops carry guns.

i dont feel unsafe running at night either, i guess when guns are rare, you dont worry about whether someone is carrying one or not.
  • camdentrace
    camdentrace Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great reply and what a great question, something fortunately that I don't have to worry about with where I run, this thought never even entered my mind, the other day I was reading how a little can if wasp spray can be the key to keeping safe works much better than pepper spray, something to think about!
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    No, but I am in the UK - as in the previous post we also have strict gun control.

No where is totally 'safe' to run. However when I run alone I stick to busy routes, I don't wear earphones, and I carry my mobile phone in case of emergency.

Plan a route, inform someone of your estimated time of return home, and be aware of your surroundings.
  • runlilyrun
    Options
    Could you try pepper spray and one of those rape alarm things which sounds at 100 dB? I know that during a run I wouldn't be able to shoot straight anyway!

Edit - as the poster above said, millions of us in the rest of the world run without guns, and we're fine! Maybe consider moving to a country with sane gun regulations ;)
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    When I am not able to run at a time that feels safe to me (light out and a well-populated trail), I use a treadmill. I just don't think it's worth it to run outside when you feel that the threat is sufficient to need a weapon. I'm not trying to convince you not to carry a gun, but how is it worth it, psychologically, to do that?
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Recommend pepper spray. I think that would be much better than self defense if you're not highly trained with a weapon (not only target shooting, but close quarters so you don't get disarmed and weapon used against you). Bear spray or a Taser might be another option if legal for self defense -- more disabling and longer range -- I think it's still safer than carrying a weapon. So many people hurt themselves with weapons if they don't practice using them in different tactical situations frequently.
  • akj_25
    akj_25 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    i would carry if i could find a comfortable way to carry the gun. More from protection from animals than humans, but my hand gun it to heavy for it to be comfortable. i have been thinking about getting the compression shorts with built in holster but as of yet haven't.
    i just don't run at dawn or dusk - for reasons of previous animal attacks. if i can't run in the daylight i run on a treadmill.

if you find a holster that works good i would love to hear about it.
  • Mama530
    Mama530 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    What do you carry? Have you considered compression concealment shorts?
  • Littlestandrews
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses. I am very well trained with a weapon as I've been shooting since elementary school. I would be carrying a kel-tec pf 9. I don't believe anywhere is totally safe so while I live in a nicer neighborhood, anything can happen anywhere. Most running holsters I've found are from online sites where returning would be tedious and include shipping costs if returned. I'm a big fan of America and couldn't leave it. My freedom to own guns makes me feel safer:)
    Thanks again so much for all of the responses. If I find a good running holster, I will update for anyone interested!
  • zorbaru
    Options
    "my freedom to own guns make me feel safer'

wouldnt you feel safer knowing that every average person on the street isnt carrying a gun?

besides, the 2nd amendment was misinterpretted. 'the right to bare arms" was about being allowed to wear sleaveless tops.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I am not a small woman, rather a large man... but I still carry most of the time when I go walking or running. Especially when I'm out late when it's dark and there is a higher chance that a criminal will think it's a good time to take whatever he imagines I have to take. I use a very manly and not at all nerdy fanny pack. It's the only thing I could find that keeps the pistol concealed (that's a requirement where I live) and still secure against my body without bouncing around.
  • OneEyedWolf
    OneEyedWolf Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I carry at all times myself, but, since I can't run (joint issues) I'm always wearing jeans with a belt for my holster. You runners face a whole different set of challenges.

I'm not familiar with the KelTec lines, but, I'm assuming it would be considered a compact pistol? Have you looked at any of the 5.11 holster shirts? They're supposed to wick sweat and be comfortable with a compact/sub compact pistol.

Otherwise there's a few other options I can think of off the top of my head: SmartCarry (think underwear with a built in holster), Kangaroo carry (kind of like a large ace bandage that will hold the pistol to your midsection).

You could also try to tie your shorts a little tighter than you probably normally do and use an el-cheapo Uncle Mike's IWB holster and give that a try, if it doesn't work you'll be out $15 or so.

And (don't laugh) I've read some amazing reviews of the "FlashBang" holsters. I don't know how they'd work with running gear though.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I carry nothing but my phone and water. The biggest threat I face is animals, and a-hope drivers. And frankly, I'm pretty sure it's against the law to shoot someone for not fully stopping at a stop sign. And I'm also not sure it's worth it to try and shoot a squirrel. But, if your nice neighborhood has bigger predators than my mediocre neighborhood, then do what you need to do to feel safe. I personally feel exercising common sense and gut feeling to provide adequate protection.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Sure-Shot-Perry.jpg
  • Littlestandrews
    Options
    I have no issue with the average persons on the street carrying a pistol. I have issue with the criminal with a pistol. ;)
    Thanks so much for all of the responses. While I prefer revolvers personally, the kel tec pf9 is a very very compact gun and perfect for someone as little as I am...if I can find the right holster! I'm going to look into the holster shirts! Thanks for the suggestion!
  • zorbaru
    Options
    most petty criminals dont even carry guns, its just too hard for them to get. its only the really serious ones that have guns and they arent going to worry about runners.

but this isnt a thread on gun control.

im watching that show suns of guns and red jacket had a garter holster. dunno how that would work with running gear tho.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I respect your right to believe and carry what you want (whoever reads this) but I don't really buy that you didn't want to start a political debate. Why ask a question about guns on a fitness/nutrition web site? Wouldn't it make more sense to go to the forum of gun experts to ask such questions?

Just sayin ... the presence (or mention) of guns was never much a peacekeeping move ... more likely to incite tensions than not in this type of environment.
  • Littlestandrews
    Options
    Why ask here? Um, because people here run! I already tried gun forums (it was the first place I went) and there was very little information from people who actually run. Besides, there are a plethora of people on here from every walk of life imaginable so why wouldn't I want the input of someone who already carries while exercising?

This isn't a thread on gun control and I tried to make my intentions clear with my initial post. I respect you for not carrying but because you don't carry, you can't really help answer my question:)
This discussion has been closed.