Under motivated :(

Options
been sick for a week and was doing really bad with my logging and eating overall.. feeling guilty for not writing it down, but also I am losing motivation, not that I had much of it..
I've been dieting my whole life, and I've always been chubby.. I blame my parents, mostly, for feeding me a very bad diet as a child, but myself as well, for eating 100g chocolates whenever my parents weren't home, eating sweets whenever I wanted, and not exercising at all.

I don't know how, but I need to get myself back up, eat better, feel better, start losing. I can't, and I don't, want to live in this fat and ugly body anymore. I'm not even aiming that low, only a healthy bmi of 21, or a nice curvy but thin body, being able to wear those cute skirts, shorts and dresses, being fashionable, being able to buy myself as many clothes as I can afford, and not anything that I can find and fits me. because right now I can't find any.

anyone, tips, tricks, motivation? what helped you climb up from rock bottom?
I have 93lb and one year to lose it all..

once in my life I reached my lowest weight up till now - 74kg. I have done it in the most unhealthy way you could imagine though. it took me about half a year, and then I gained all I lost and more. I have no idea what kept me motivated back then, but I seriously need it back =\

Replies

• Mama530
    Mama530 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own rock bottom.... Mine is just another story. Ultimately, i didn't feel i was living to my full potential.... but you, Why a year? What's with the date? It took me over a year to lose 85 pounds. So, I encourage you to have goals, but don't get discouraged or define your success by them.
  • KMiYong
    KMiYong Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've been living like this for too long, and the longer I'm here, the worse it gets.. I know that the way I am right now, it fuels my depression and if I don't get something done, in a year, I won't be able to even start. I don't mind even if I don't reach my goal weight in a year, but be as close as possible... you know
    also I checked this sit ( http://www.losertown.org/eats/cal.php ) and it says that with light exercise I'll reach my goal in a year, which I'm hoping to happen..
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    First of all, why do you have one year to lose it all? Why that deadline?

Motivation's a funny thing. It's great if you have it, but you absolutely can't rely on it to be there all the time. Motivation is what gets you started in the first place - it's the reasons that you want to lose weight/get healthy. It doesn't get the job done though. You need to just make the decision that being a healthy weight is what you want, is important enough, and then you just have to do it. Easier said than done perhaps, but those people who are successful aren't feeling all motivated every day. During my phase of weight loss, there were many, many days when I couldn't be bothered exercising, or logging, and I wasn't that bothered about calories etc. Weight loss is boring, and let me tell you: once you reach your goal and are no longer seeing any changes in your body, it doesn't get any more exciting. It's even more boring, and you still have to work just as hard.

So, don't see it as something that you're always gong to feel motivated and energised about. Just decide if it's important, and then take the steps to achieving it. Logging my food and exercising are part of my life, just like showering, brushing my teeth, going to work, studying. doing the laundry etc. I don't always feel motivated to do those things either, but the results matter to me, so I do them. There might be the odd day or two when I "slip" and for example don't wash the dishes, or I get a bit behind in my studying, but I don't let it go for too long before getting back on track. Weight loss is the same.

You've been sick for a week, so you've got out of the habit of logging etc. So, you just get back to it, and make it habitual again. Don't feel guilty about not doing it, just start doing it again.

There's little point blaming your parents (or even yourself) for being overweight. You're an adult now, and you have the power to change your body and your life now. Only you can do this, so there's really no point looking elsewhere. If you think there are issues from your childhood that are holding you back now, psychologically, then by all means seek help with dealing with that. Counselling or therapy (or even self help) can be very beneficial for improving your relationship with food. Don't let any of that stuff hold you back though. Ok, so your parents had an influence on your diet and weight then. That's done. This is your opportunity to take responsibility and take your power back.

You did this once in a very unhealthy way, and gained all the weight back. Let that be a lesson learned. Don't be seeking the same "motivation" or drive that made you do that. It doesn't have to be like that. You don't have to do this in a year, and don't for a nanosecond think that once you reach your goal you're "done". It doesn't work like that, or you will gain it back.

Your profile says you want to love yourself. Work on that now. If you hate yourself now, that's not going to magically change by losing weight. It runs a lot deeper than that.

Losing weight may be boring as hell, but it doesn't have to be torture. Don't put a deadline on yourself. Don't starve yourself. Don't cut out all the food you love to eat. Don't spend hours doing exercise you hate. Keep it simple. Set a reasonable calorie goal (2 lbs a week is probably ok for now, but once you've lost some, you'll be better setting it to 1.5 a week, then 1, then 0.5 lbs a week as you get closer to goal.) Eat food you like, fit them into your calorie goal. Try to get a decent amount of nutrients in. Try to be more active, preferably a form of activity that you enjoy. That's it.

Take progress photos, and once you start seeing changes, and once you start feeling better in yourself, your motivation will pop right back up again (and then come and go as it pleases).

Honestly, motivation is overrated. You just need to decide if your goal is worth it enough to put the effort in, and then stop giving up.

And also, check these out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1069275-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • Mama530
    Mama530 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I bet you can reach it! Circle that date and go for it!
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    For me .. my motivation was just finally getting to the point where I really was sickened at what I saw in the mirror. I was fat and overweight and my health was terrible. So I stopped all the bad habits I had .. and started being healthy.

The last thing for me was getting some exercise. I will admit that I was lazy and it was just so easy to sit at home and watch tv. I have now turned things around .. and I am now working out and feeling really really good about it.

I don't know what your motivation is .. each of us are different, and there is usually some thing that will get us motivated. You just have to think what it will take for you .. it isn't something that someone can tell you. It is something personal. You will know when you find it.

Good luck in your weight loss journey.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add that once you get started, get some simple habits going and start seeing changes, you'd be surprised at the variety of things that bring a little motivation back. Not just calories and seeing the scale go down,

For example, I started lifting weights just to maintain my muscle mass really. Once I started, I realised how good it feels to feel strong, and that now motivates me to keep lifting heavier, to reach new goals. Nothing to do with weight or how I look, but something I didn't even realise was important - feeling strong. (And that keeps me going even though I don't especially enjoy weight lifting.)

I started running mostly just to prove to myself that I could do it, as well as to burn calories. Now, when I go out it has nothing to do with calories. I run because it helps enormously to manage my depression and anxiety. And, every time I go out, I have a little moment of self doubt, and every time I overcome that, I feel a bit more of a badass.

As for eating - I'm surprised by how well I feel when I'm on top of my nutrition. And if you saw my diet, you'd realise that doesn't mean deprivation in any shape or form. I eat all the foods I love, but I get lots of protein, fibre and micronutrients, and it feels good. Yesterday was a bit out of the ordinary for me. I attended some training with an amazing buffet laid on, then went out for dinner. So, I ended up eating a greater quantity of food than usual, more sodium, more carbs and fat, and less protein and fibre than usual. I didn't go crazy, but the whole day was a bit over-indulgent. This morning, I feel a bit bloated and tired. i'm looking forward to getting back to my normal routine, and waking up tomorrow with my body feeling good again. I'm not used to feeling bloated with digestive issues now; that motivates me to get back to what is now my normal way of eating, to feel on top form again.

I guess I'm saying, make it a true lifestyle change. Create habits that become your new "normal". Focus on things other than calories and scale weight (and making other people jealous). Focus on accomplishing goals and feeling amazing.