Epiphany

Someonr asked me today if I will ever stop measuring my food and counting calories. I was not sure what to answerafter some thought I realized that I probably always will. The only issue with food I have not been able to conquer is cleqning my plate. I think I learned this at a very young age and not sure I will ever get over it. The only way I have found to counter that is to only put what I want to eat on my plate.

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    There is nothing wrong with cleaning your plate nor is there anything wrong with measuring what you put on your plate. I think it is great that you know what works for you to get and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Keep up being the best you!
  • SkinnyWannabeGal
    SkinnyWannabeGal Posts: 143 Member
    I was brought up to clean my plate. I had to teach myself to stop eating when I am satisfied and not after I feel super stuffed. It feels unnatural for me to not lick a plate clean still, but I've made progress. I always have a lot of leftovers in the fridge now. And I'm ok with that :happy:.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    It is really hard not to clean your plate if you sit there long enough. I have learned to stop. And I've learned from my now adult/almost adult kids. They get to the point when they're full and they put their plate in the refrigerator to eat later if they're hungry.

My big thing has been learning to just fewer things on my plate to start with. Take one piece of chicken, eat, and then wait a few minutes until I see if I really want something else. Usually I don't.

Keeping bowls of 'nibbles' on the table - radishes, nuts, carrots, celery - also gives me something to chew while I'm sitting at the table chatting. My husband has really gotten into making pretty Chinese garnishes.
  • Christi132
    Christi132 Posts: 67 Member
    In addition to being raised to clean my plate, I was also raised on comfort foods (home baked goods, potatoes, breads, etc). That's how my very skinny mom showed her love for us. She always stopped eating those foods after a few bites, I never could. Counting calories keeps me from over eating those comfort foods. I realized I was doing the same thing with my daughter (showing love with food) and now we both try to keep a running tally of how many calories we eat versus energy we output. We'll have one splurge day a week, but I'm not sure if even that is alright.
  • maguariento
    maguariento Posts: 72 Member
    Here's a quote I like to remember... Simple and elegant, the choice is yours:

"Waste, or waist."
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Try a smaller plate. Literally.
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Nope. I have an eating disorder and this is the ONLY way I've found I can control it.

Counting and Measuring.

I am a compulsive overeater and I will clean ALL the plates lol.

So I totally understand.