best exercise routine for losing weight and toning?

Options
Does anyone know an exercise routine that I could do, I am not a member of a gym.. nor can I afford to be, at home that will help me tone and lose weight faster? is getting a DVD really worth the money??

Replies

• sno_flakee
    sno_flakee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try your local library. You can borrow a variety of exercise dvd's before buying them.
  • oOLiveYourLifeOo
    Options
    Personally, I use CrossFit - but I understand that joining a gym can be very expensive as time goes on. With CrossFit, you can do a lot right at your own home (they have videos that show you how on their website) and you can substitute workouts if you can't get the right equipment. Do you have a Planet Fitness in your area? If you do, they can be quite affordable ($10.00 a month with no contract or $20 a month with a 1 yr contract). Hope this helps!
  • Lindsay9956
    Options
    Netflix has free exercise video's!
  • bugsbunny50
    Options
    At home I uses DVD's. I am in Houston and it has been to hot to be outside. :) I like the DVD's because you are in the comfort of your home, and it is so many different ones to choose from. Right now I have been trying the Beachbody ones. I have Hip, Hop Abs and Body Gospel. I switch up between the two, and I am loving it. When it cools down in Houston, I will start walking outside again. I hope ths helps.
  • MandykinsK1980
    Options
    I couldn't afford a gym membership either, but I was able to go to my local rec center and sign up with them! You can pay monthly or by the year (it was only $25 for the year)! They have a work out room and offer some classes (Zumba, Taebo and belly dancing for $3 a class or $12 a month) That might be the cheeper way to go. I also have "OnDemand" thru my cable company and they have free health channels that include work out programs and fitness videos! So far I have not done any of the classes, but I have used the gym every other day for the last 2 weeks! Its been nice!!! :wink:

Another really good option is swimming as much as you can!!! It burns calories like there is no tomorrow and if you do laps, you get a full rance of muscle use with hardly any impact!!! There are tons of water aerobic moves that you can find online that are great!!! I am all for free ideas!!!

Good luck!!!
  • tesha30
    tesha30 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have Netflix.. thanks for that idea!
  • tesha30
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas guys! thats very helpful. to answer one question or statement... I cant afford a gym membership due to the fact I am the only one in a 5 person household that is working. Every dollar I have pretty much goes to my kids. So its not feesable for me to be a member of any gym right now. The ones by my house are around $30 per month. It doesnt seem like a lot but when your not making a whole heck of a lot every two weeks... its too much.
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Somebody on here introduced me to these websites a few weeks ago - been doing it ever since (and it's FREE) - you test yourself & do the sets recommended for your level - It's awesome!
    I do all three in one session since they work different muscle groups - it takes about a 1/2 hour to do all of them.
    www.hundredpushups.com
    www.twohundredsquats.com
    www.twohundredsitups.com

Also - I really like the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred - 20 minutes & your done - the time flies by.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I personally really like dvd's. Beachbody does have a lot of different choices, depending on what you like. There are A LOT of people on this site who do them. Definitely worth the $$. Also there are quite a few people also doing Jillian Michael's 30-Day Shred, which you can get at Walmart for about $10.
  • chershade
    Options
    I use the Tony Little Gazelle glider (just the regular one, not the fancy ones they're coming out with now), new they are about $100, but you can probably find a used one on Amazon of Craig's list. I've lost 49 pounds since last Thanksgiving, averaging 1 1/2 per week. Just set it up in front of the TV and go. I can burn about 500 calories in about forty minutes. Easy to use. I also bought the AbRocket for about the same price, and although it's okay, I owe the majority of my weight loss/toning to the Gazelle. Good luck!
  • raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    Options
    The Jillian Michaels DVDs are awesome, and cheap (about $9 each at Walmart or Target). The 30 Day Shred is a really good workout, and each level is only 20 minutes. I've had awesome results using it, and highly recommend it. Her other DVDs are 40-50 minute workouts. On Demand has a Fitness TV channel that has some of her videos. If you have cable, you can use them for free!

I'm like you, I refuse to pay for a gym membership. It is totally possible to do this without one, and the workout DVDs are a great route to go.

Good luck!
  • tesha30
    Options
    I love the Biggest Loser... so working out with Jillian or even Bob for that matter wouldnt make me stray away from their videos. For people that have worked out to the 30 day shred... so you have to buy weights or can you modify it: with something else? I think I am going to pick up this DVD and try it!
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    3 lb hand weights... you could use a substitue like soup cans or something similar if you wanted (or no weights at all).
    Tennis shoes & I use a thick towel over my carpet for the floor exercise - just because I sweat alot :)
  • sngnyrslp
    sngnyrslp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    If you're going to get dvds, consider checking Ebay and Amazon.com, etc. I was able to find 30 Day Shred for like three dollars. The internet is great!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    seriously??? netflix...duhhhh, i can't believe i never thought of that...thank you soooo much..i'm in an exercise funk...i have soooo many things i want to do including the c25k which i started last week, the 30 day shred dvd, beach walk once a week, group power class 2-3 times a week, i just havent recommitted to getting them done...i'm going to add a few workouts to my instant netflix queue and try to bang a few out on my lunch hour at work...why can't i??? i have a door, i have a computer, i have the internet and i can bring/wear my sneaks and/or change my clothes back after right?????
    seriously i am soooo excited...now to load up my list with fun stuff....
    thanks again for the netflix suggestions...i love it...
  • tesha30
    Options
    OMG I totally wouldnt have thought of tennis shoes! I dont own any so this should be interesting. Is it best for exercising to wear tennis shoes or can you bare foot it?