Does MFP work as well as Weight Watchers?

Options

Replies

• Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I tried WW years ago, I was unhappy with all the weird food they sell you. I'm not sure if you have all of this in the US at meetings though. They contain lots of ingredients I can't pronounce, so I tried to stay clear of them. They also sell demented versions of actual food in the supermarket too. I just find the idea of WW pasta, bagels and wine (!!!) incredibly saddening...

The group leader also said that exercise wasn't necessary - she told us repeatedly she hated exercise and dropped the weight without it. I cycled/walked everywhere and went swimming regularly even at my heaviest, so I didn't like it for that reason either.

Why not save the 5 quid a week for a really nice item of clothing or another treat for yourself?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I think MFP works better. I eat whatever I want. I've lost 44 lbs. It's about moderation not deprivation, hard work and determination. None of that costs a monthly fee. :flowerforyou:
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    MFP works as well as you're willing to make it work. There are no coaches, no recommendations, no help. It's just a tool that does the math for you. You have to teach yourself how to eat better and exercise more.

On the other hand, Weight Watchers has has coaches and help, but is less likely to actually teach you how to continue after quitting the expensive program because of their confounded points systems.

They both have their pluses and minuses.
  • sjrja
    sjrja Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you are considering WW online only (not meetings and weekly weigh-ins) vs. MFP -- I would say MFP wins hands down. Free!! and both programs work IMO, just approach it a little differently. I have done both and lost on both, and gained back on both, which just proves that for me, it really is more about what is going on in my head rather than the specific plan. If you enjoy the social aspect of going to a meeting and rubbing elbows with others who are in the same boat, then there is value to WW meeting plan. As others mentioned, the weekly weigh-ins may also keep you accountable.

Some people may also be motivated by the fact that they are spending money for WW, so they take it more seriously. Being free could be seen as a negative - easier to drift off the plan when it doesn't cost you anything.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I tried the WW points thing for about a month. I don't know if I lost weight, but I didn't like the fact that it didn't count certain things, like fruit. I like to count the actual cal/fat and other things that are relevant to *my* weight-loss struggles. I don't think that WW takes those things into acct. I also didn't like the fact that I was paying to use a site to track my food. I can do that on my own if it comes down to it.
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I tried WW on two seperate occasions and it never really worked for me. I have specialized diet needs because of health issues, and WW doesn't really account for that. I stayed under points just like I was supposed to, and I would lose that initial water weight but not a pound more after that.

I like MFP much better because I have more control, and I've had a lot more success.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Im thinking about joining soon and id love some opinions. Thanks!

I've done both and I've been successful with both. What I can tell you is that I learned more about nutrition and proper macro and caloric intake through MFP than WW. I did WW Online, not in person so my answer may be different than others. Yes, WW has an insane amount of information online, even a similar support system to MFP, but knowing the difference between carbs, fat and protein broken down is important, I think. When I was on WW a point was a point and besides knowing that more fiber meant a food was less points, I didn't learn the importance of protein and good fats. Just my 2 cents. I think they are both positive methods of establishing and/or maintaining a healthy lifestyle though. Good luck to you!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I think MFP works better. I eat whatever I want. I've lost 44 lbs. It's about moderation not deprivation, hard work and determination. None of that costs a monthly fee. :flowerforyou:

THIS ^^
  • KD0BIK
    KD0BIK Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I never tried WW. I also (before now) never counted or tracked calories. I also never had the success that I've had since joining MFP and watching how what I eat impacts my success or failure. Being a gadget guy, the MFP app just makes it easy and a little bit fun to track what I eat. :-)

I think either way you go, consider it a lifestyle and not a diet and live it. Oh...and a little exercise helps as well.

Jerry
    http://10000stepsforlife.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/10000stepsforlife/
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    One is free, the other costs money.. both are calorie counting programs.. one just gives you points instead of calories..
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    WW helped me get off weight I had gained, but it made me eat very unhealthy. It was all about cheating. How to eat as much as possible for as little points as possible. Low fat products were the only way to go. I felt I was "lacking" nutrients for years, yet my bloodwork was always fine. It was with MFP that I learnt more than just points/calories but actually carbs, sugar, protein(!!!) and fibre. I eat twice the amount than I could with WW, I am losing and I am finally rid of the inexplicable cravings for things I didn't even know.

For example, an egg had 1-2 points. I had 18 points a day. Having an egg was a gamble, so I'd opt for some low-calorie crap that I could eat more of. I basically tried to fill my stomach up physically, but it doesn't matter how much salad you shove down, if you need protein you need protein.
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Former WW'er here as well. I had quite a bit of success losing with their program a couple of times, 60 lbs the first time, 30 the 2nd. Unfortunately I gained at least half back each time. My fault alone, not the programs. What I've found, since switching to MFP solely, is that it teaches you the real value of the food you are eating and how to work it into your day or week. I think WW encourages bingeing, at least for me it did. I would save up all of my "weeklies" and just go nuts on the weekends, setting up a cycle of fast through the week, binge on the weekend. Not good! With MFP, I still splurge on the weekends, but not as extreme as I used to. I think eating more through the week helps prevent that for me. The "free" fruit & veggies can also be a hinderance, as others have mentioned. Sure, you can eat 3 bananas a day for free on WW...but don't fool yourself, there are still 300+ calories in those three bananas...they have to count somewhere...MFP teaches that.
  • chargraves
    chargraves Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    As a couple of other posters have said, it is all in what is more compatible with your lifestyle and circumstances. I have had success & failures with both MFP & WW. I have been enrolled with WW since the end of Feb and have lost 62 lbs. I lost over 40 lbs. on MFP a couple of years ago and gained it all back when I stopped tracking as could happen with WW if I stopped tracking and following the guidelines. I have not seen any non-anecdotal evidence of which program results in the most long term success. The most important factor is finding what will be sustainable for you.

I chose WW because I was struggling trying to lose weight on my own and initially needed the accountability that the meetings provided. I happened to have lucked into a meeting with a great leader and a higher than usual percentage of active lifetime members whose practical advice and support have been invaluable to me. Support on the MFP message boards is a bit iffy. I have seen great compassion and helpfulness (as long as the OP was following the poster’s food program of choice) and downright meanness. If your choice is between the WW online program and MFP, I would lean towards MFP since it’s free and WW’s biggest advantage from my perspective is the in-person accountability.

As for the products, NONE are required and you can walk past them as I do every week without buying anything. With that being said, I do sometimes cross-track in MFP in addition to tracking in WW e-tools. Should the time come when I can no longer afford the $48 a month (monthly meeting pass + activelink subscription) or decide to move on, I want to have a good handle on how many calories, carb, fat, protein, etc. work/ don’t work for me in addition to points. My daily points totals are usually with 10 - 20 calories of the goal that MFP has set for me for a 1lb a week loss and I have been averaging about 1 - 2 lbs a week on WW.

Good luck! YOU are the most critical element in how well you succeed.

BTW – There are several MFP vs. WW threads that you can search and check out although they all basically rehash the same arguments.
  • samammay
    Options
    WW is MFP with rounding errors. And $44/month. (YMMV)
  • Kathryn41057
    Kathryn41057 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I am still a lurker on the US WW boards, but I no longer pay the monthly fee. I too found that I would do great for a few weeks, and then would get frustrated if I went over on my daily points. Weekends were a bust. I also found it hard to get the GHG's in, oils, dairy. Once I started getting frustrated, that was the end for me, and I would walk away. I always felt if I hit my points target for the day, and I hadn't gotten any exercise in for that day, I always felt that I failed.... The forums were good, but, you'd see the same stories. "I lost 50 lbs, backed away for awhile because I thought that I could do it myself, and here I am back again, because I've gained it all back"

Here on MFP, It's different, I don't know why, it just is. I know that I have a daily caloric amount to work for, and I always hit it. I may go over once in awhile, if I do, I might take it easier the next day. Right now I don't pay much attention to the Macros, because I'm still learning my way around. I do find that my weight loss is slower, but I'm ok with that. I have 25 lbs to lose. If it takes me a year to do it, it takes me a year..... You do whatever you feel is best for you. MFP is free, there is a phone app that you can download and use to do your tracking, and the people here are very helpful... Good luck Kat :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Im thinking about joining soon and id love some opinions. Thanks!

It's not about what eating program works better than another, it's about eating at a calorie deficit. In fact, the only way to lose weight is to eat less calories than what you burn (or burn more calories than what you eat).

I know people who joined weight watchers, did terrific and lost lots of weight, and then once they went off WW and went back to regular food, they gained every pound plus more back.

I would go crazy counting points.I want to know the calories in anything I eat.

I think you get to decide for yourself what will work. I would recommend a balanced eating plan with a sprinkle of exercise thrown in. :smile: And, lots of water.

Edited to add: I learned how to track everything I ate about 10 years ago when I started with a trainer at the gym. He told me that it was a lifestyle change. I only learned how to count exercise calories, plus more about nutrition than I thought I would ever know, when I started logging everything in MFP and participating in the community. So, MFP DOES have support, it's just all on the honor system.
  • Angie2822
    Angie2822 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I was on WW a few years ago and it was a very positive experience. I enjoyed the meetings and the community support . It is very costly though- and there is a lot of pressure to buy their products (even though they are processed and usually terrible for you).

The biggest difference that I have found is that MFP focuses equally on food and fitness. You can change it to fit your wants. WW is focused on food intake, although they encourage activity it's not a focal point. I love being active- my body has changed more using MFP and I feel healthier and happier. I also don't feel deprived because I earn treats through exercise.

WW is great as well, it depends completely on your mindset.
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I've done both, but prefer MFP. If you have a really good WW group, that makes a big difference, and can make it worthwhile IMO. The problem for me with WW is that the points are like Monopoly money--not real. Now, calories are the real deal, and no fudging cause it's a "free" food!
  • angelinarun
    Options
    I think both programs have great benefits, but I've preferred MFP
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The biggest difference that I have found is that MFP focuses equally on food and fitness.

Where does MFP do this?

In the forums, maybe, but that's individual members. MFP itself is simply a logging tool. It doesn't focus on anything any more than WW does.