Fruit and veggie problem

Options
So, my diet has been steadily degrading over the past couple of months. I'm eating a fraction of the amount of fruits and vegetables I should be. Anyone else been through this? How did you fix the problem, but still get enough calories for weight gain?

Replies

• keithemp
    Options
    Wouldn't the answer just be to eat more fruit and vegetables? I eat more than enough fruits and vegetables and still hit my gaining goals.

I'm not sure what kind of answer you're looking for exactly.
  • RoBalance
    RoBalance Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    More dried fruits? Also, a lot of exotic fruits are fairly high in kcal such as mango. And it's so yummy, too.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't the answer just be to eat more fruit and vegetables? I eat more than enough fruits and vegetables and still hit my gaining goals.

I'm not sure what kind of answer you're looking for exactly.

I'm actually wondering about spacing throughout the day. I'm focusing so much on calorie dense foods, that by the time dinner rolls around, I haven't gotten enough vegetables/fruits most days, and then I just can't cram them all in...it's too late. Or, I have no desire to. I eat 4-6 times a day in general, but most of those meals have no fruits or vegetables. I need some ideas for developing better spacing throughout the day.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Regular fruit smoothies, green smoothies, and pureed soups.
  • Helenavee42
    Options
    Salad. Seriously you can bulk up a salad like crazy. Use spinach or if you aren't fond of the taste of spinach do a mix of lettuce and spinach and add in all the other veggies you like. Put some chicken breast on it, throw on some cheese, and your favorite salad dressing. A nice piece of pita bread would go great on the side. I put fruit in my protein shakes. Usually just strawberries and blueberries. But if you want a good protein snack and you like cottage cheese peaches taste great with it personally.
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Have you tried juicing? You can cram a TON of veggies/fruit into a pint-sized glass, and you're set for the day.
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Add in some high calorie stuff. I found out that avocado is used also as a dessert in many places. Banana avocado smoothies are really good, and great for healthy weight gain. Mix in some veggies like baby spinach. I also love juicing. I use it to supplement. I will juice kale and beets, cucumber and blend in banana and blueberries. Very tasty. Also chia, flax, and help seeds boost cals. What kinds of dishes do you cook?
  • jadebuilding
    jadebuilding Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Regular fruit smoothies, green smoothies, and pureed soups.

Green smoothies FTW!! Load it up with leafy greens, pineapple, banana, & as much protein powder as you need. Easy peasy.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    More dried fruits? Also, a lot of exotic fruits are fairly high in kcal such as mango. And it's so yummy, too.

I wouldn't recommend dry fruits.. Most nutrients are lost when dried out