Is it sexist?

Options
I am a 35 year old guy who has been told to lift weights, I have never done it a day in my life. I have no idea machines, technique, weight, etc. Here in lies my question:

My gym, and every gym in town actually, only offers young female trainers.

Is it sexist of me to wish I was learning from a dude? Learning from a woman makes me kind of uncomfortable.

ETA...It is NOT that I believe she is less than capable. It is a comfortability thing. I'm sure she knows her stuff.

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that men get a surge of testosterone when in the presence of women they find attractive. Double bonus for having a female trainer.

Stop worrying about impressing someone and get lifting.
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Sexist and comfortability are two very different things. If the gym only has woman trainers (which is kinda weird admittedly) chances are they have dealt with this previously. You may be more comfortable with a guy trainer but that doesn't mean a woman cant show you how to do the exercises, the correct form, etc. You are there to learn from someone with more experience than you. Give them a chance. You will probably get over the feeling in about the first few minutes. They have dealt with many people on widely varying skill and ability levels.
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    It would be sexist if you believed that a woman was incapable of helping. Since that isn't the case (I assume) and you think you would just be more comfortable around a man, then no. No issue.
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    It is NOT that I believe she is less than capable. It is a comfortability thing. I'm sure she knows her stuff.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Or you can just buy the book Starting Strength and learn it on your own. A whole lot less expensive too.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Or you can just buy the book Starting Strength and learn it on your own. A whole lot less expensive too.

This!
    Lots of videos out there (StrongLifts) that will help you out
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I don't think so, it all comes down to what you feel comfortable with.

I watched a lot of YouTube videos on proper lifting techniques since I workout at home and they were great. It wouldn't hurt for you to do some research at home as well.

Good luck!
  • _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    It is NOT that I believe she is less than capable. It is a comfortability thing. I'm sure she knows her stuff.

Some women only want a female gynecologist, not sexist just preference.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Would it be sexist if I prefer to have a female doctor vs. a male doctor? I don't think so. It's about a comfort level.

If you're more comfortable with a male trainer then I don't see that as being sexist however you should give the female trainers a shot. They might pleasantly surprise you.

I personally have had men PT me and I like them a lot better because they seem to push me harder. They know what I'm capable of and if they see me reaching for a lighter weight they'll shake their head and tell me to go heavier because they know I can. I haven't had a female push me as hard.
  • Lulufifi1994
    Lulufifi1994 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Not at all sexist. I personally would prefer a female personal trainer if I ever had the spare cash to employ one (hahahaha in my dreams).
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    Comfortability isn't a word.
    That is all.
  • meadowsmummy
    Options

Some women only want a female gynecologist, not sexist just preference.

This.
    My city has only 1 female gyno with a population of 50,000. It is impossible to get into her. Your stuck with a male no matter how uncomfortable it makes you.
  • chloecats
    chloecats Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    No, it's not sexist at all. It's a preference. And even if it WAS sexist, who cares? It's your personal thoughts and feelings and you don't have to feel too badly about that unless you are mistreating other people because of it.
  • renatewolfe
    renatewolfe Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's abnormal. It's like a woman often will prefer another woman for a doctor. Since you have no choice though, put your worries away and go for it. She is a professional and is there to help you.
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    Sorry I couldn't resist!
    Basically you have the right to request a trainer of the same sex if you would only feel comfortable with that. So, if there are no other options in this gym, and it is a massive deal, I would consider joining a different one.
    When I first started lifting, I didn't have a clue what I was doing. All the lifters in my gym are male. I was too embarrassed to ask for help. I watched a couple of youtube videos and got started with that. After a few weeks the guys got slowly used to me. Now I have the odd bloke giving me tips on form etc. And I don't feel so awkward after all.
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Comfortability is a word....look I just used it in two different posts...:laugh:

I went with stronglifts, went to the website. Did as much reading on it as I could find. Watched ALL the video's, and then found even more video's to watch on form. Then I went to the gym and did nothing but work with an empty bar to get my form down. Hell I even had to watch a couple video's on my phone in between sets to make sure I knew what I was doing and had my form down before adding weight. I did the lifting slower than usual and concentrated on what I was doing. I did this the first 3 workouts. I feel much more confident about what I am doing now but it did take some research and definitely a ego check at the gym but you know what....I didn't give a *kitten* about what the other lifters at the gym thought. And honestly it didn't seem like anyone (even the HUGE bodybuilder guys) even noticed what I was doing.

You have the whole interwebs to do your research . Maybe try that first. You can ALWAYS hire a trainer at any time.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I've had a female friend show me some weight routines.
    Very smart lady and knew what she was doing.

No big deal....you're not there to impress her are you? ...just do it!
  • WhitneySheree88
    WhitneySheree88 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I think that sounds normal, to be honest. If I was to get a trainer I would ask for a female because I am a female so I want to workout with one. I would think if I had an insanely hot male trainer, I would be distracted during my workout ... or maybe I would bust my *kitten* trying to look that good. This probably only makes sense in my head .....
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Then maybe you should grab those things you call balls and man up!
  • FizikallyFit
    FizikallyFit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Really? all the big gyms around here have guy trainers. Want to switch gyms??