"I like the way you looked before you lost the weight."

Options
Wow, some folks are just plain haters and they don't even know they are.

Here you are struggling with the burden of fat you've allowed to accumulate through the years, (having those beautiful children, working late night hours, taking care of the family but neglecting yourself, living in the haze of the matrix( fast food, fast food, fast food)), and you finally took the blue pill (or was it the red one?) and decided to do something about it. You're plodding along and people are starting to notice the change; you feel good about your progress...

Then some doe-doe blurts it out: "I like the way you looked before you lost the weight, better."

Who says that? Obviously someone who has straw for brains. Even the Tin-Man had more sense than that. However, husbands and boyfriends in particular, female friends, co-workers, and "the neighbors" can be prone to such statements that if one is not strong-willed and confident, will certainly rip off a large peice of your self esteem.

How to cope? First, you must realize and remind yourself that this is about YOU. Not your husband, friends, co-workers, or the neighbors (who never even spoke to you before this, LOL). To be truly successful, your weight loss journey should be FOR you and not because of anybody else. You should be able to recognize and work towards the benefits of losing and maintaining the weight loss: better health, greater mobility, more confidence, and just being able to walk into a store that's not a Plus -Size store in particular, and buy a damn outfit off the rack.

So, don't let folk's negative statements about your weight loss, weigh you down. Keep it positive, and most of all, keep it moving!!!

:flowerforyou: Much Luv.

Replies

• lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    *applauds* Very well stated!
  • crackur
    crackur Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    whenever you allow another person's opinion of you to become more important than the one you have of yourself then YOU HAVE A PROBLEM.
  • dreadedone13
    Options
    Definitely, but surprisingly a lot of folks do. So maybe my post will inspire those of us who struggle with this problem.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Definitely, but surprisingly a lot of folks do. So maybe my post will inspire those of us who struggle with this problem.

I definitely hear what you're saying!
    Usually it's people that aren't "in shape" themselves. I think it's actually an envy/jealousy thing.
  • judilockwood
    judilockwood Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Brilliant post- should always do this for yourself - ignore the negative people, they're jealous!. After attempting to lose weight several times, this time I wanted it for me and it worked! I've had all the comments for friends and colleagues, mostly supportive but some depressingly negative; fortunately the negative ones made me so angry that I decided to show them how I meant to continue.. Now maintaining around my goal I feel so proud of me, the fact that others are complimentary is a good bonus but ultimately I did it for me, my health and my self esteem and I'll make sure I'll never go back to being heavy xx
  • donthesitate
    donthesitate Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I love this! My family has been telling me Im getting too boney and that I looked good before and that I shouldn't lose anymore weight, just ignoring them, my doc has no problem with my weightloss so neither do I
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Reply back, "U JELLY, BRO?!"