setting goals and sticking to them

Options
Hi, I'm Tammy. A 35 year old stay at home mom of 4 very busy kids. For fun and little extra $ I also make cakes (also an added bonus to the waist line) I was an athlete all through school. Tall and athletic and people were always quick to tell me how "lucky" i was to have this god given athletic body...LOL God given? really? At that time sports were everything so after a 2 hour practice I was in the weight room for another 2 hours. Lots of hard work and dedication is what gave me that body. Fast forward to now, 4 kids, one failed marriage (currently happily married), a child with special needs, moving away from all my family and friends, and just trying to figure out who I am.
My first marriage i was young and got pregnant way too fast. 20 and suddenly and wife and a mother..wasnt ready for either. I became depressed and gained 80 lbs...ugh! after my second son was born I decided life was too short i wanted to be happy. I got divorced lost 70 lbs and thought i knew what i wanted.
Now I have 2 more children and have focused all my time on the 4 of them. Forgetting to put me first, ever. They are all in school full time and i finally have some time to focus on myself.
I had gained all 70 of those lbs back plus a few more. April I said enough. I was going to do something about it! I lost 40lbs. The last 2 months i've maintained, but havent lost anymore. I had a goal of 50 lbs by 6 months so I'm pushing even harder, this is what brought me to MFP. Hoping that with other's support and inspiration it will push me even harder to reach my goals. I turn 36 in November my goal was to not be "overweight" by my birthday, next summer i want to sky dive, and next fall i want to run a half marathon for my Autism ( in honor of my son) I know I can do all these things, but it's going to take determination and commitment...and maybe a little push from all of you now and then :)
Thanks for reading my story. Hope to get to know a lot of you on our journeys to healthier life.

Replies

• jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Wow, you have some story. Good for you for recognizing the need to focus on YOU!! My one suggestion is to make SMALL, achievable goals for yourself. When I had 50 pounds to lose, I broke it into 5 pound increments which seemed much more manageable.

Now that I am maintaining, I want to tone up. So, my goals are related to weight lifting and cardiovascular work-outs. I have slowly been increasing the amount of weight I am lifting and I'm spending longer on the arc trainer.

Good luck to you. You can do this!!