Pork chops are good.
    Bacon is good.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Image-3-Pulp-Fiction.jpg
    Pork chops are good.
    Bacon is good.
    gonna bump my response in case OP didn't see it.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Are you asking is it safe to Pork? Tee hee...
  • SashleyA
    SashleyA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Trichinosis is the parasite most associated with pork, and on average only 11 cases are reported in the USA each year, and most of those are from game (deer mostly). The CDC has some cool graphs on the matter. Basically, it's pretty safe and as long as you cook it, you'll avoid other typical meat born illnesses.

(I used US statistics because they're easy to find, but if you're not in the US, but are in Europe or Canada or other well developed areas, you'll find pretty much the same risk).
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    hell yes, pork.
    i quite literally ate it by the pound this summer, as i became obsessed with my new hobby of smoking meat.

(insert BJ joke here)

(insert joke about using the word "insert" in a follow-up statement about meat.......here)
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    Options
    Actually, the USDA decreased the cooking temperature suggestions for pork a few years ago. Pork safety has improved quite a bit, and you are more likely to experience contamination by consuming raw fruits and vegetables. Salmonella and e. coli from lettuces, for example.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Please read this article. For USDA pork, you should be fine, even if it is still pink.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/25/dining/porks-safe-cooking-temperature-is-lowered.html?_r=0
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    No. But most of it does. There is always some bacteria left on food we ate even if it's fresh and cooked. But not in the amounts that would harm us. It's normal. You never can make food completely sterile... cook it as much as you like, ain't gonna happen.

I think the reason why people don't ate pork is cos of fat in it. It has high amounts of saturated fat what is not good for your health. So that to me seems the most sensible reason why you should avoid it. Bacteria really isn't a concern... it's everywhere anyways. And as long as you ate fresh food you will be fine.

Granted some cut of pork have higher fats (bacon being one of them) Pig lard is over half made up of Monounsaturated fats which are responsible for lowering LDL levels while leaving HDL (“good”) cholesterol levels alone but none of these fats eaten in moderation are bad for you and there are actually cuts of Pork that are leaner than some beefs. I won't be leaving pork out of my diet anytime soon...
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    This is just too easy.... *tiptoes out*
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    hell yes, pork.
    i quite literally ate it by the pound this summer, as i became obsessed with my new hobby of smoking meat.

(insert BJ joke here)

(insert joke about using the word "insert" in a follow-up statement about meat.......here)

Sir, Trishanocis is no laughing matter. My buddy got Trishanosis after going down and getting what he thought was one thing, turned into a pork nightmare.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    port -- is it safe?

Not around me
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm Cuban. We eat pork on the reg.
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    Is it safe...define Pork. Noun or verb?
  • michellechawner
    Options
    why wouldn't it be? I haven't heard of any recalls - just cook it to the proper temp and CHOW DOWN
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    Is it safe...define Pork. Noun or verb?

Couldn't resist. Sorry.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I :heart: pork. I'm planning on making spicy bbq pulled pork this weekend. Yum!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Properly cooked pork is perfectly safe. You can look up cooking guidelines for meats on the CDC website.

Also pork is awesome because it tastes good, it's raised to be lean, half of pork fat is monounsaturated (which is healthy), and it's less expensive than chicken or beef (where I live). If you care about the environment, pork is also good, because pigs need less feed to produce the same amount of meat that cattle do.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Pork loin is one of the healthiest cuts of meat you can eat.
  • timg760
    timg760 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    ... eat all the porks ...