Weight Lifting Advice-Do you think I'm lifting enough?

Options
Hi everyone,

I started a weight lifting programme about a month ago. I went to a trainer and he designed a programme. I was going to do NROLFW but then the trainer made a programme so I just thought I' go with that and see how it works out.
So I've been doing it 2/3 times a week for the past month. I haven't noticed a difference in my body yet but have gotten stronger. I'm not going to do my measurements or take more photos til after another month.

Anyway I just wanted to describe the programme and see if any of you experts out there have any opinions on it. I'm trying to up my weights but my gym just has 5kg, 7.5kg, 10kg, etc so I've been doing more reps of a lighter weight before moving on like he suggested in the book.

Here's the programme:

I do three sets of everything!

Warm up(he told me not to go higher than 4kg in the warm up cos it's just a warm up):

Med ball swing - started 2.5 kg now 4kg (x 12)
Med ball squat push out- started 2.5 kg now 4kg (x 12)
reverse lunge and press -started 2.5 kg now 4kg (x 12)
Plank drill (15 secs on front, on right side and left side)
Bridge-one leg floor bridge (15 on each leg)

Workout:

Squat curl squat press (1st left hand then right hand) - started 5kg x10 now 10kg x8
Trx rows-BWx12
push up rotate-BWx12
lat pull down-4 bars/stacks (dunno how much they weigh, they're just numbered 1-20) x10
backward lunge curl and press started 2.5kg now 5kg (in each hand) x12

It takes me about 45 minutes and I am sweating buckets usually.

What do people think , will I see results with this? Or should I just start the NROLFW programme?

Sorry it's all in kg, I'm Irish smile

I'm 31, 67kg, and 5ft7"

Thanks for all and any advice :happy: :happy:

Replies

• Ibarra951
    Ibarra951 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You probably won't notice any visual changes until a couple months down the road. When I did my first round of p90x I didn't notice anything until about the end of the second month. Than I noticed some more muscle popping out (or fat going away) a couple months afterwards.

It's going to take some time to really notice anything, but persistance is key. Keep at it!
  • jstarz002
    Options
    Work out sounds retarded to me. Just because you sweat and get sore doesn't mean you will see tons of changes.

#1 for physical change is all compound lifts using a barbell (bench, deadlift, squat, oh, row)... i also like to throw in bb hip thrust... and the most important thing is to always be working on adding weight and training progressively/getting stronger...

Most workouts designed by gym trainers are semi retarded.... most trainers at commercial gyms are dumbasses; only 1 in 10 will actually know their stuff and those that do would have you working on compound lifts. You could start doing them with dumbells if you are weak although the bar only weighs 45 lbs....

Your gym should also have barbells.... if it doesn't then find a new one.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    So, what occurs to me is that this is a *relatively* light routine. It's not something you want to do forever, but if he did an evaluation with you and this is challening you right now, then you might want to keep it up for a bit more while you get used to exercising and feeling out how your body responds to weight and movement.

I wouldn't consider any of this to be proper weight lifting though, but as I said, that's ok for right now :smile: You WILL get there, sooner rather than later, and when you do, you'll realize it didn't hurt to start off with something more managable.

You do eventually want to work up to the bigger compound barbell movements like squats, deadlifts, bench press, and overhead press though. And a great program for that is Stronglifts 5x5. Starting Strength is good too, as is NROLFW, but I still like Stronglifts the best. That however, is honest to goodness, just my opinion.

And just in case you're worried about being weak or whatever, this is completely relative. Just make sure you're always pushing yourself (safely! <---this) and you'll make your gains without fail.
  • mdivamuffin
    mdivamuffin Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'm a total beginner to weight lifting so really didn't have a clue. He wasn't even a gym based fitness instructor, he worked for a company that design fitness programmes for people and charges good money!

I think I'll start on NROLFW next time I hit the gym. That was what I was originally going to do anyway before I went to see this guy.
    At least I'm not nervous about being in the weight room now and I was before. The gym I'm in is really good, has loads of free weights, barbells, trx, loads of weight equipment.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    :happy: Get it!
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    Take it slow. You are a beginner, just like me!:)- we can't lift a whole elephant! :) yet!!:))) I read many books and asked for advice. If you load up so heavy, you can seriously injure yourself. Your posture is very important when you work with free weights. Take your time, look at others how they do it. I read somewhere the last rep in the set, must make you really work! taking your last breath!:) - then you rest and up for the next set.

This doesn't apply to every set. It depends on how your program/routine is set up. Read this topic from the forums, great discussion about pushing yourself on sets. Just focus on the basic information, we talk about a few different programs but don't worry about those details:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1101138-5x5-lifting-last-set-to-failure
  • pixie_mills
    pixie_mills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am a total newbie to weight lifting as well (except from the odd class of Bodypump) and just finished week 3 of NROLFW. I am loving it! I feel motivated and the challenge of adding more weight always excites me :) It takes a wee while to get your head around the routines - but it is well worth it! I'm noticing small changes in my appearance but mega changes in strength :)
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting is a great place to start. 'nuff said.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    What works: everything.

What's good: not this routine

Try new rules. You will get better long term results on it.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    I am a total newbie to weight lifting as well (except from the odd class of Bodypump) and just finished week 3 of NROLFW. I am loving it! I feel motivated and the challenge of adding more weight always excites me :) It takes a wee while to get your head around the routines - but it is well worth it! I'm noticing small changes in my appearance but mega changes in strength :)

Appearance comes with time as well as lower bodyfat %... which also comes with time. Just focus on meeting your calorie goals (with enough nutrition to fuel your workouts) and on gaining strength. The rest will come, I PROMISE you that.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Damit... forgot html... stupid wrong puter.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Work out sounds retarded to me. Just because you sweat and get sore doesn't mean you will see tons of changes.

#1 for physical change is all compound lifts using a barbell (bench, deadlift, squat, oh, row)... i also like to throw in bb hip thrust... and the most important thing is to always be working on adding weight and training progressively/getting stronger...

Most workouts designed by gym trainers are semi retarded.... most trainers at commercial gyms are dumbasses; only 1 in 10 will actually know their stuff and those that do would have you working on compound lifts. You could start doing them with dumbells if you are weak although the bar only weighs 45 lbs....

Your gym should also have barbells.... if it doesn't then find a new one.

The use of the word "retarded" twice in this post, as well as "dumbasses" makes it really hard to take this post seriously. I'm sure you could find a better use of words to get your point across...
  • mdivamuffin
    Options
    Cheers for the replies again.
    What size weights are you lifting Pixie if you don't mind me asking?
    And what did you start off with on day 1 NROLFW?
    I don;t really know what size weights to start with
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    If I may, a good rule of thumb that even men who lift very heavy use, is to start light. It's a ego check because you usually want to start with the heavy weight right out of the gate, but you'll thank yourself later for starting light and incrimenting up.

When in doubt, you're better off lighter than heavier. Make sure it's still challenging though. Over time you'll figure out where you need to be anyways.
  • mdivamuffin
    Options
    Thanks so much for your very helpful and friendly advice FrkLft :flowerforyou: