Toenails !!

Options
i'm not even that much of a "runner " - i do HIIT on the treadmill and go out and jog occasionally ...this morning one of my toe nails popped off !! it didn't bleed and it didn't hurt BUT it looks so weird !! is this normal ? will it grow back - actually it looks like a new piece of nail is already trying to come in but dang this is gross looking :noway:

Replies

• trochanter
    trochanter Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yes it will grow back. It is quite common for runners toe nails to fall off. It has happened to me a few times. It is caused by the repeated banging of the toe nail against the end of the trainer.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Common. I lost a couple back in my running days. Maybe get your shoe size and fit checked.

The store where I used to buy my running shoes sold a bumper sticker that read, "Toenails are for sissies". :laugh:
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Its common....in ultra runners. If you're losing toenails while doing HIIT and jogging lightly, you're in the wrong shoes.
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Check your shoes. I don't run very far, 20miles per week maybe? But my toesies are all looking spiffy :p
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    when i was a x-country runner so many years ago (i can't run any more because of my knees) i don't think there was ever a time where i had more than 8 toenails at a time. :)

it's quite common. some people it happens to easier. also very common if you've recently or suddenly increased your activity/intensity. be sure you're in the right shoes. but even in the best shoes, i still was always losing my toenails.
  • teaparty75
    Options
    ^^^ aaahhhhh this makes sense !! i was out jogging alot more during the summer and that could've been when the trauma occured BUT i will definitely look into my shoe game THANKS !!