What advice have you gotten from your doctor?

Options
tomomatic
tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
The first time I went to the doctor's and asked for help for my weight (about 5 years ago), I got some generic easy to follow tips for weight loss. I wrote this down but never looked at it again until last night.

- Exercise should last about 20 minutes.
- Exercising 3x a week will bring you to a healthy weight and maintain it.
- Exercising 5x a week will help you lose weight.
- High Protein, low carb diet.
- Forget about getting it all done in the gym. Just be active. Playing with the kids, playing on Wii, gardening, etc.

There's a lot of advice out there but I liked how my doctor simplified it for me. He probably over simplified it just to get me started.

He also pointed me to www.PresidentsChallenge.org for a simple way of logging activity (not exercise). I hadn't discovered MFP yet and this ended up being the first place that I'd ever logged my exercise.

Outcomes so far: My cholesterol and sugar are under control. I'm in a much better place than I was back then.

Replies

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'd just like to point out that you've made some really amazing friends along the way.

*hair flip*
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    this is why im afraid to go to the dr about it. Ive been doing all this stuff and im either not losing anything or losing .5lbs a month. Really frustrating. This last week i said screw it and gave up...sorta.

Im really considering still going to the dr but idk, im afriad that ill pay the copay i cant afford anyway for them to tell me to do waht im already doing that isnt working well.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I'd just like to point out that you've made some really amazing friends along the way.

*hair flip*

You go gir!l (snaps fingers in Z formation)
  • BobMcCloskey
    Options
    Just yesterday at my quarterly check up, she said "You're doing fantastic! Keep going!"
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    More omega3's.

My cholestoral doesn't like to play nice... it's ok though, I'm used to it and I blame my grandfather.
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    My doctor referred me to a dietitian and she told me I can lose weight so long as I have a calorie deficient every day and that exercise (mainly cardio) will only get you in shape because you have to eat back your exercise calories so then your deficient is still the same.
  • Lemongrab1
    Lemongrab1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    No advice. Just that my health was perfect and he didn't get what my 'issue' was. :noway:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    My doctor referred me to a dietitian and she told me I can lose weight so long as I have a calorie deficient every day and that exercise (mainly cardio) will only get you in shape because you have to eat back your exercise calories so then your deficient is still the same.

You've got it. Now go forth and preach.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    My doctor is okay, but when I said I wanted to quit smoking and lose a little weight he pretty much dismissed the idea that the two could go hand and hand. I can't wait to prove him wrong at my physical next month. Also, he has creepily soft hands.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    He said I need to use a rubber :(
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    My last doctor was pretty foolish in my opinion. After looking at my excellent bloodwork and test results he recommended I lose 30-40 lb to be healthier. I weighed 297 at the time.

Now I weigh 219.
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options

You've got it. Now go forth and preach.

BAM! Lol thanks!! :)
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Outcomes so far: My cholesterol and sugar are under control. I'm in a much better place than I was back then.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    My last doctor was pretty foolish in my opinion. After looking at my excellent bloodwork and test results he recommended I lose 30-40 lb to be healthier. I weighed 297 at the time.

Now I weigh 219.

Sounds like he thought you were currently fine at the time, but was worried you will have issues as you age. So mainly preemptive health advice for the future. Some 600 lbs Sumo wrestlers are in excellent health shape.
  • sukiwabi
    sukiwabi Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    last time i saw my doc, he asked me what i used to do for fun when i was 19. we talked a little, and at the end of the visit, he wrote me a script (all serious-like) and handed it to me. i almost fell off my chair with a case of the lol-lers. it said "get high and go rollerblading"

i put it on my fridge and looked at it every day for quite a many months. eventually i got the picture and started getting out of the house and running - and i love it (not to mention i'm now off of bp meds). best thing he could have ever done for me. i totally heart that man - we used to work together and now he's my doc. i'm really lucky. :heart:
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    last time i saw my doc, he asked me what i used to do for fun when i was 19. we talked a little, and at the end of the visit, he wrote me a script (all serious-like) and handed it to me. i almost fell off my chair with a case of the lol-lers. it said "get high and go rollerblading"

i put it on my fridge and looked at it every day for quite a many months. eventually i got the picture and started getting out of the house and running - and i love it (not to mention i'm now off of bp meds). best thing he could have ever done for me. i totally heart that man - we used to work together and now he's my doc. i'm really lucky. :heart:

way cool.
  • staticstasis
    Options
    The single most thing my doctor has said to me in my life is "If it hurts, don't do it." This is mostly tongue-in-cheek after I've injured myself, but I think it applies to when you're working out too. Sore is okay, but pain is not.
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    Have more sex!
  • snejkaxo
    snejkaxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    When I complained to my doctor that I gained weight because school "feeds" us, he said, no you are the one holding the spoon and shoving it into your mouth. That made lasting impression on me.