Tacos

VeroJuly
VeroJuly Posts: 101 Member
Someone was crying over MFP bullies and we all sarted talking about tacos instead. Now I'm hungry, so please post your best taco recipe :)

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    In my house we eat TVP tacos. TVP blended with cumin, cayenne, and liquid smoke. Shredded lettuce and cheese, and maybe a bit of avocado.

On freshly toasted La Tiara taco shells (which happen to be low carb, I know some people who are crazy about 'em for that reason but I just think they're delicious).
  • An old mexican lady taught me how to make tacos just like at the restaurants... At least the tex-mex ones in Texas. You brown ground beef with seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper and dry oregano (grind it up in your fingers before you put it in). I also chop onions and throw in when I am browning the meat.

I use really superlean ground beef to make it, and at the end I drain it and put in some beef broth and cover it. Simmer for like 45 minutes. The meat is really tender and you can mash it down with a big fork while it's simmering to make it really small pieces. It is amazing and very tex-mex. (You can also add a little chili powder- I do sometimes).

And after about 45 minutes take the lid off and turn up the heat a bit to get rid of the excess liquid so your meat isn't too wet...

I crisp up corn tortillas in the oven by spraying them with a little olive oil. Bake at 400 for a few minutes then flip. Amazing chalupas. Top with chopped spinach (because lettuce has little to no nutrients), chopped tomatoes, avocado, mexican cotija cheese crumbles.
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    waiting for someone to post the bacon taco shell
  • LishLash79
    LishLash79 Posts: 562 Member
    oh tacos.. love tacos.. now im hungry

I make the beef in the crock pot, drain the fat once its cooked and add the seasoning.. then i eat it on a salad with salsa, and sour cream and cheeze.. yum...
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Yay! :happy: Taco's are back! I was enjoying that thread till they locked it :sad:
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    The best taco recipe involves lots of liquor and a hot blonde.

But for reals, good ol' 80/20 ground beef, taco seasoning, sour cream, guac, tomato, & cheese. Happiest man alive.
  • gabbygirl78
    An old mexican lady taught me how to make tacos just like at the restaurants... At least the tex-mex ones in Texas. You brown ground beef with seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper and dry oregano (grind it up in your fingers before you put it in). I also chop onions and throw in when I am browning the meat.

I use really superlean ground beef to make it, and at the end I drain it and put in some beef broth and cover it. Simmer for like 45 minutes. The meat is really tender and you can mash it down with a big fork while it's simmering to make it really small pieces. It is amazing and very tex-mex. (You can also add a little chili powder- I do sometimes).

I crisp up corn tortillas in the oven by spraying them with a little olive oil. Bake at 400 for a few minutes then flip. Amazing chalupas. Top with chopped spinach (because lettuce has little to no nutrients), chopped tomatoes, avocado, mexican cotija cheese crumbles.

I'm making these TONIGHT!!!! :bigsmile:
  • Nothing beats a good taco!
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    I tired to comment on that post and they locked it before I could get in hahahaha
    Sorry no taco recipes though
  • An old mexican lady taught me how to make tacos just like at the restaurants... At least the tex-mex ones in Texas. You brown ground beef with seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper and dry oregano (grind it up in your fingers before you put it in). I also chop onions and throw in when I am browning the meat.

You'll have to let me know how they turn out! YUM I could eat some in like 4 hours... I just ate lol.
  • Oh I forgot to mention- after about 45 minutes take the lid off and turn up the heat a bit to get rid of the excess liquid so your meat isn't too wet...
  • gabbygirl78
    An old mexican lady taught me how to make tacos just like at the restaurants... At least the tex-mex ones in Texas. You brown ground beef with seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper and dry oregano (grind it up in your fingers before you put it in). I also chop onions and throw in when I am browning the meat.

You'll have to let me know how they turn out! YUM I could eat some in like 4 hours... I just ate lol.

Sure thing! I'll save you some! :flowerforyou: :laugh:
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Navajo Taco's are the best! YUM if you have not had them look them up SO GOOD!:tongue:
    justapinch.com
  • I prefer mine with chicken cooked in a crock pot with salsa and black beans using this recipe: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/01/spicy-black-beans-tomatoes/ must be corn shells doubled up. If I am feeling carby add 2-4 tablespoons of tomato rice or 100 grams of roasted potato, get you some flour tortilla shells for a burrito.

ETA: I usually top with feta, because my grocery doesn't always have cotija.
  • The chicken one is good too!!!!
  • I also do shredded beef ones in the crock pot:
    - eye of round roast or something equally lean
    -bunch of fresh cilantro
    -chopped onion
    -chopped garlic
    -smoked chili powder
    -beef broth
    -pepper
    -salt
    -juice of two limes or so

Cook till it falls apart, shred, and serve on warm corn tortillas. Of course with fresh avocado......
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Nothing beats a good taco!

^^^this
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Saving for taco recipes!
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    waiting for someone to post the bacon taco shell

ask and you shall receive.

BaconWeaveTaco311.jpg

Personally, I'm very very very partial to tacos al pastor.
  • And in case anyone was wondering, Long John Silver's Baja Fish Tacos with a spoon full of their slaw is kind of kick *kitten*. And by kind of, I mean VERY.