Carb "recalibration" diet

I'm looking to bust past a plateau in my weight loss progress. One of the things I have come across is a carb recalibration diet (for lack of a better term)

Quite a few programs and experts out there have suggested a carb recalibration diet. The most common place it's been seen is the "Carb Back Loading" (CBL) or "Carb Nite" program. I also saw an Elliott Hulse video where he suggested something similar, but a little different different.

The general gist is that for 7-14 days, one only eats proteins and cruciferous vegetables; and then you finally splurge for one day. Then the diet after the recalibration period is carbs (complex or simple) around training time and night, and low carbs on non-training days.

Elliott had a bit of a twist on his advice (which was very short, as opposed to the very extensive CBL program). He said to do the first 3 days with the leanest meat possible (turkey or light tuna, not even chicken breast) with 2 gallons of water/day, then 3 days of fattier meat with 1 gallon of water, then anything on day 7 with only a half gallon of water. Repeat one more week.

CBL proposed a morning fast, with no discrimination toward fat content and goes for 10 days.

Anyone have experience or advice with either approach? I'm leaning towards the Elliott approach

Thanks!

Replies

• kimtab
    kimtab Posts: 64 Member
    I don't have an opinion on the diet itself but 2 gallons of water a day is 4x the "general" recommendation. I don;t know what level of water intake sets you up for hyponatremia but I'd be worried that might come pretty close.
  • It's only for a 3 day period. I also weigh 210, and I've read plenty of other guidelines that suggest 1 oz of water lbs of body weight is appropriate for people who are training.