Honeycrisp apples

Options

Replies

• turryandsally
    turryandsally Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I LOVE honeycrisp apples - but I HATE the cost! I buy one only occasionally - as a treat!! The rest of the time I settle for other types.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    You people have it all wrong!

Pink Lady apples are the BEST!!

oh nom nom nom nom nom nom!!!!!
  • nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Went apple picking last week and got a bunch of Honeycrisps. First time I've ever had them. I made applesauce out of some of them too. Mmmm, super yummy. :love:
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Amazing and I love Fuji,and Macintosh too only thing is I like them bigger than my fist I want the apple to be a meal in itself , but that's just me . yummy apples :)
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I just finished eating one. Maybe not my favorite apple. Might have to go with Braeburn. Plus the tote was $9. Ack.
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Pink Lady is great too but not found as often as Honeycrisp. They have that same sweet crunch.
  • raquelserna7
    Options
    1) Honeycrisp
    2) Pink Lady
    3) Gala

Unfortunately, I rarely see either of the top two anywhere near me, so I eat a lot of Galas. But man when I can get my hands on those Honeycrisps!!!
  • cpsf73
    Options
    Are they in season again? They're my favorite, but I can't find any at my local supermarket. Come to think of it, I haven't been seeing many apples at my supermarket recently. It seems like they replaced all the apple displays with peaches and nectarines. I just assumed that they're not in season...
  • lolapedia88
    lolapedia88 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    They are in season I believe
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Considering I work in the department that developed Honeycrisp, I feel like I have to post on this topic! They were developed at the University of Minnesota in the 90's by the Department of Horticultural Science, and the fruit program at the time was led by Dr. Jim Luby. I work for his wife, on strawberries.

They are delicious! Crunchy and sweet, but remember that they're best if you get them locally. They weren't made for storage like red delicious apples. If you want some other great Minnesota apples, try Zestar! (The exclamation is included, oddly enough). Another tasty one, but hard to get outside of Minnesota, is SweetTango.

And now, the best Minnesota apples by season:
    Early: Zestar!
    Mid: Honeycrisp
    Late: Fireside

If you're interested in more random knowledge on Minnesota apples, check out http://apples.umn.edu
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Are they in season again? They're my favorite, but I can't find any at my local supermarket. Come to think of it, I haven't been seeing many apples at my supermarket recently. It seems like they replaced all the apple displays with peaches and nectarines. I just assumed that they're not in season...

What state do you live in? Honeycrisp are at the very beginning of their season if you live farther north, like Minnesota or Washington or that general latitude. Right now all the Honeycrisps we're seeing in Minnesota are from Michigan. Also something to note is that, at least in the midwest, apple season is about 2-3 weeks behind because winter lingered so long.
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever seen these. Are they available in North Carolina? I usually buy gala or fuji. Yummy!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Went apple picking last week and got a bunch of Honeycrisps. First time I've ever had them. I made applesauce out of some of them too. Mmmm, super yummy. :love:

I can't cook with them they don't last long enough around our house...so big..so juicy...so yummy....

ever tried Apple crisp juice......insert drool here.

HoneyCrisp season is as soon as the frost hits in the fall..they need that one little frost to get them mature sort of like russets...so they are ready here...Yah
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Honeycrisp!!!:love::heart: Created here in MN. You're welcome!!! :flowerforyou:
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I agree!
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Honeycrisp was once my favorite apple until I tried Lady Alice apples. Lady Alices are the bomb! I eat honeycrisp when Lady Alices aren't available followed by Pink Ladies. I didn't even know that apples grow in Minnesota--I thought that they were all grown in Washington state. I learn so much here.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Honey crispness yum
    Not mealy like the others
    sweet tart perfection
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I live next to an apple orchard. I was talking to my neighbor just last night. They began picking Honey crisp today.
    Zestars are good too, but the very best of all are Sweet Tangos. They are even sweeter than Honey Crisp. All three of these varieties were developed at the University of Minnesota. The Honey Crisp we get in here before ours are ready are not nearly as good, just my opinion.
  • cpsf73
    Options

What state do you live in? Honeycrisp are at the very beginning of their season if you live farther north, like Minnesota or Washington or that general latitude. Right now all the Honeycrisps we're seeing in Minnesota are from Michigan. Also something to note is that, at least in the midwest, apple season is about 2-3 weeks behind because winter lingered so long.

Ahhh... I live in Southern California... I did a google search, and they should be available now... Maybe I'll check other stores
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Pink ladies are the best!