Suggestions for a squat adjustment?

Options
Hi, I am working my way through New Rules of Lifting and it is going pretty well and I am a total convert to lifting heavy. I could do with some suggestions on squats. Years ago I had frozen shoulders and had therapy and surgery. It is 90% better but I cannot take a barbel across the back as I cannot get my hands back, I am just too tight. So I have been doing goblet squats till I reached a weight that was too uncomfortable. I moved on to using a VIPR tube which I can manage across the back as the handles work out but the heaviest is 20kg. I am now using steel bells which are pretty comfortable but I have had to go to 2 lighter ones as the largest one is 30lbs. Anyone got any ideas how I might move forward. I belong to a gym that as a pretty good range of stuff and I mainly use free weights and TRX. I would be prepared to buy and take my own bar if one exists that I could hold safely and achieve good form. If it is important I am female, 52 years old and been lifting seriously about 5 months after 18 years of sporadic unstructured training.

Replies

• alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    If back squats aren't comfortable you could attempt front squats?

Squats aren't the be all or end all for legs, there are many other exercises.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    If back squats aren't comfortable you could attempt front squats?

That's an option. Does your gym have a Trap / Hex bar? It looks like a diamond with two handles in the middle and of course the bars for the plates. Basically you do deadlifts with the Hex bar and the Hex Bar Deadlift is actually very similar in its range of motion to that of the squat. The only difference is you don't have the bar above you. It's a really good alternative for people that cannot squat due to limitations like yours.
  • suethehippo
    suethehippo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that, there may be one downstairs in the bigger gym, I shall look.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    There's also safety squat bars and cambered bars.

Like:

safety-squat-bar-3.jpg
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Front squats are great but work different muscle groups than back squats. They are more quad and less posterior chain. Regardless, they are a kick *kitten* and grueling variation. Alternatively, you could try zercher squats, a favourite of mine.

In zercher squats, the bar is cradled in the crook of the arms and works much the same muscle groups as the front squat but has a much lower centre of gravity.

http://www.rainiercrossfit.com/.a/6a00d8341d2d0353ef01156f9d75cd970b-320wi
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said.
    lolz
  • LishLash79
    LishLash79 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I think whierds advice is right on the mark.. lol ;) pure genius ;)
  • whierd
    Options
    I think whierds advice is right on the mark.. lol ;) pure genius ;)

Why reiterate when the advice given is as good or better than I'd have said? :tongue:
  • LishLash79
    Options
    i know.. your response just made me giggle.. ;)
    and your picture makes you look like a cute joker.. ;) so.... ;)

And thanks for the Squat advice.. just getting into the weighted squats more and loving it. ;)
  • whierd
    Options
    i know.. your response just made me giggle.. ;)
    and your picture makes you look like a cute joker.. ;) so.... ;)

And thanks for the Squat advice.. just getting into the weighted squats more and loving it. ;)

*hugs* :flowerforyou:
  • LishLash79
    Options
    blush ;)
    hugs back ;)
  • suethehippo
    suethehippo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who answered and messaged me. I have lurked on here for a few months but that was my first post - I am always so impressed with the knowledge on the forums and the quality of suggestions.

I am going to look for the trap hex bar tomorrow and have chopped the toe off some old socks to make an arm sleeve for zercher squats. It will probably attract some funny looks but I just thought a weighted bar in the crook of the elbow might be a bit uncomfortable.
    Thanks again.