First Time Post

Options
I thought I'd get thru the committment phase of working out and eating better and then say "hi." I found the app on Ipad and it has been the best thing ever for tracking and keeping up with foods eaten. I am a mother of two, work full time, and unfortunately have found myself living at Children's Hospital more than home these days. My 17 year old was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer on April 1, 2010. We're thankful for the good days and hold on tight during the bad. Optimism and determination is key.

I also found that my eating styles were not so great resulting in my energy level bottoming out. As we've moved thru the months of treatment, I have found myself many times having to lift and carry a 100+ lb child- a wakeup call that it was time to get in shape and have the ability to lift/carry, etc. What I have found by entering what I eat and tracking my exercises is: 1) I tend to put down things that are bad for me because I honestly do not want to have to track those foods so I am consciously making an effort to make better food choices 2) I found I was missing quite a few of the key vitamins so I started on a multi-vitamin for women 3) I started feeling better about how I looked and overall felt better and 4) my strength has improved. When stuck in the hospital for 10 days straight at a time, it also takes a little creativity in getting workouts in but I have found several different exercises that can be done without the comforts of home and all with a travel resistance band. When I am home, I find that my ipod and good upbeat music is all that I need to dance away and get the housecleaning done. It's amazing how many extra calories you can burn just by adding a little pep to your step!

All of this said, I'm glad to be here and just wanted to say "hello." Where there is a will, there is a way.

Replies

• Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    Welcome Christy! My thoughts & prayers are with your daughter and family as she fights this cancer. :heart:

Good job to you on all the tracking and the commitment you have put into your health during a stressful time. Eating healthy & exercising is hard anytime but especially so during stressful times so your tackling it & sticking with it is an inspiration to me!