Why isn't cake 0 calories why oh why

Options
2»

Replies

• cupcakekate28
    cupcakekate28 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you're interested, but I stumbled across this recipe the other day whilst looking for low calorie desserts! The concept looks interesting, but I've heard it really does taste like chocolate! And as it says each piece would only be 100 calories. Too much effort for me, but seeing as you like to bake, it may be a good challenge!

http://atastylovestory.com/the-famous-brilliant-black-bean-chocolate-cake/

I tried this!!! It's really good!! A little dark for my tastes so I will use milk chocolate next time but you would NEVER know it has beans in it!! WOW
  • snowcoon
    Options
    I'm totally with you!

Check out Red Velvet Chocolate Heartache on Amazon. It's a book dedicated to healthier cakes. I had the aubergine chocolate cake recently and it was delicious!!!!
  • snowcoon
    Options
    Oh, and if you look at the blog that my sister-in-law and I do, you'll find recipes for Skinny Lemon Cupcakes, Vegan Chocolate Cakes and Little Italian Courgette Cakes.

http://shortcakesisters.blogspot.co.uk

I can't take credit for the actual recipes but they are tried and tested and lower calorie than "normal" cake but without any nasties such as artificial sweetener.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    i've made all of these: http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1543 the only one i wouldn't recommend is the yogurt one, it came out flat, chewy and hollow tasting. the rest were great.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    If you didn't put the cake on a plate it has no calories.

The crumbs that fall inside the cake tin as you cut have no calories. Nor does spare icing that fell off.

If you cut your slices smaller they will have less calories - which means you can have twice as much.

I work at a food store and we stocked baked goods. There is a sign that reminds workers to handle baked good gently, "after all, no ones a broken cookie."
    And I am tempted to add a post it that says
    "of course we want broken cookies! The calories fall out when you break the cookie!"
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Stick to real cake with eggs, butter, oil, sugar, etc... You're a baker and you won't get any satisfaction by trying to make a faux cake that may somewhat look like, but won't taste anything like the real thing.

Eat real foods, but just eat smaller portions. I'd rather enjoy a thin slice of something really good than a thick slice of something sub-standard. I eat full fat milk, yogurt, cheeses, butter, full fat ice cream, and real everything, but by cutting portions and increased activity I've still managed to lose about a pound a week over the last year. You don't need to eat crap to lose weight, but plenty of people seem to have bought into that.

If you're a baker, then don't compromise your art just for calories, when a smaller slice has the same net effect and all the satisfaction and flavor of a big slice. I'm a good cook, and I know when I can substitute ingredients and when I definitely can't without ruining the dish. The eggs, fat, and other ingredients are there not only for how they taste, but also for their emulsifying, solubilization, suspension, and other culinary properties that just never work as well without them.

Did you ever wonder why low fat vanilla ice cream always has artificial flavor? It's because real vanilla is fat soluble. And that's just the flavor. The mouth feel is also lacking with stabilizers added to replace the butterfat. Low fat vanilla ice cream always tastes artificial. I either eat the real thing or skip it entirely.

And, yes, it does take real self control for portion sizes and exercise, but self control is the only way that works for losing and keeping off that extra pounds in the long run. Eat better, but eat less, and others will wonder how you mange to keep your weight under control without constantly eating "diet food".
This discussion has been closed.