162 lbs...size nine jeans? What gives?

Im 5 foot 5. I now weigh 162 lbs. I wear a size nine jeans and dont look fat by any means, Most of my weight gain is in my tummy and back and still not very noticeable unless I sit down. I used to be 135 or 140. Im now 33 so I know my metablosim has changed but no matter what I do my body doesnt want to get any smaller.

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    What does that mean "no matter what I do?" Are you eating at a small calorie deficit? Do you log everything? Do you measure accurately?
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Are you asking for recommendations to lose weight? If so, your best first step is to open your diary.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I am 169 and wear a size nine...almost a size 8....

I eat at a deficet and lift weights...

As for your metabolism...eh...eat less exercise more, track your food properly with kitchen scales and get a HRM for burns.

You will lose weight that way.
  • gonesewing
    gonesewing Posts: 63 Member
    Hmm....I am 153 lbs and wear a size 10. What jeans are you buying?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Hmm....I am 153 lbs and wear a size 10. What jeans are you buying?

You will find that, in many cases, women with a higher LBM will be 'smaller' than another woman of the same height and build be less LBM.

Case in point I'm 145 pounds and wear a 6, and I can wiggle my butt into some 4's. At 150 I was easily into my old size 9's from high school.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    size 9 is a junior size.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    I'm 5'6" and wear a 6 at 140 (if lifting). When I had an illness (not an ED) that got me into the friggin' high 80's, I couldn't fit in less than a 4-5 (mostly 5s). Bodies are weird that way!
  • I was a size 10 until I got down to 145.

Now i'm a size 6 at 120.

Did I miss the point of the post? I'm also confused as odd number sizing is typically only for juniors, but maybe you're in another country and it's very different from here in the states? I've never seen women's sizes in odd numbers
  • Achrya
    size 9 is a junior size.

Google Fu says a size 9 is 29-29.5 waist and 39-39.5 hips. In women's (Well in missy, which I assume is another term for women?) that measurement would put you into a size 10 (28.5-29 waist, 39-40 hips.)

http://fashion.about.com/blmissychart.htm
    http://fashion.about.com/bljuniorchart.htm
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Is there a question or point to this post? I'm not sure what you want from us....sympathy?
  • nicolebeck89
    nicolebeck89 Posts: 68 Member
    It just all depends on body shape. I am 5' 3'' and I used to easily fit into a size 9/10 at 165 pounds. I have small thighs and no booty at all though. I carry mast my weight in my tummy which I worked hard at keeping flat. Hopefully I'll make it back to that size soon. :)
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Well.....I am over 200lbs and can fit into a size 12 but mostly a size 13/14. I am 5 '6 1/2....all bodies are different. I carry my weight evenly but more so in hips and thighs.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    So you think a size nine is for fat people...? Not sure what OP is getting at, seems more superficial rather than concerned about health/nutrition...
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    size 9 is a junior size.

Google Fu says a size 9 is 29-29.5 waist and 39-39.5 hips. In women's (Well in missy, which I assume is another term for women?) that measurement would put you into a size 10 (28.5-29 waist, 39-40 hips.)

I've never known what they meant by "missy." And it makes me feel vaguely offended.

In Canada I see no rhyme or reason as to which stores have which sizes. Reitmans, for example, which definitely caters to women with careers, etc. (I shop there, but my mother does too) has odd-numbered sizing and they are definitely not sizing for juniors.
  • Achrya
    So you think a size nine is for fat people...? Not sure what OP is getting at, seems more superficial rather than concerned about health/nutrition...

IDK, I thought we were just gonna talk about sizes/how weird muscle mass/body shape make things. I always love those threads. Someone inevitably accuses others of vanity sizing and then people get angry and...well, it's fun.
  • Achrya
    size 9 is a junior size.

I've never known what they meant by "missy." And it makes me feel vaguely offended.

In Canada I see no rhyme or reason as to which stores have which sizes. Reitmans, for example, which definitely caters to women with careers, etc. (I shop there, but my mother does too) has odd-numbered sizing and they are definitely not sizing for juniors.

No idea either. I mostly shop online (Or old navy. I'm a 2/4/small at Old Navy. Padding that ego) and I just refrence the measurements for those places.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    You might want to research whether manufacturers are making sizes different now than before because women want to wear a smaller size. Manufacturers will then make a size 14 and then say its a size 12 because they want to trick the person into thinking they are getting a smaller size. Research this to see if this is happening with your favorite clothing manufacturer.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    I have a pair of jeans I use from years ago because I have no clue what sizes mean anymore. They're a 10, whatever that means. I just know I like my body best when they fit nicely, lol.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    You might want to research whether manufacturers are making sizes different now than before because women want to wear a smaller size. Manufacturers will then make a size 14 and then say its a size 12 because they want to trick the person into thinking they are getting a smaller size. Research this to see if this is happening with your favorite clothing manufacturer.

I don't understand why she would want to do this.
  • Achrya

I don't understand why she would want to do this.

To make sure she feels the proper amount of shame for being at whatever size it is she's at?

Which is to say: Who knows.