Calorie Intake and Lifting

Options
TeresaMarie46
TeresaMarie46 Posts: 226 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hello,

I just had the entire Calorie Deficit explained to me. I gave my Stats and was told that my BMR is around 2700 (including exercise), and that I should keep my calories around 1900-2000 for a deficit of approx. 700-800'

So having said that, I am wanting to begin lifting, do I keep my Daily Calories at 1900-2000, or would that change?

Thank you

Replies

• 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    fist your bmr (basal metabolic rate) isn't 2700 because that never takes activity into account. 2700 is your TDEE.

as for your question: it depends on why you lift. if you want to build lean mass than you pretty much need to be in a caloric surplus. but if you are lifting to maintain lean mass while loosing fat than stay at your deficit. you can however account for the lifting as additional activity. keep in mind that doesn't burn as much energy/calories as cardio would.
  • TeresaMarie46
    Options
    fist your bmr (basal metabolic rate) isn't 2700 because that never takes activity into account. 2700 is your TDEE.

as for your question: it depends on why you lift. if you want to build lean mass than you pretty much need to be in a caloric surplus. but if you are lifting to maintain lean mass while loosing fat than stay at your deficit. you can however account for the lifting as additional activity. keep in mind that doesn't burn as much energy/calories as cardio would.

I apologize, I meant TDEE , and I am wanting to lift to burn fat. So then you've answered my question wonderfully, and have been very helpful.

Thank you for your time, have a great evening.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you can provide more information we can validate. Whats your height age weight sex and workout routine?
  • TeresaMarie46
    Options
    If you can provide more information we can validate. Whats your height age weight sex and workout routine?

I am a Female
    I recently turned 49 (Sept)
    I am 5'1
    I am currently working out to 30 Day Shred (20X5 days)
    I also walk with my dog, or Grandbaby, pushing her stroller
    And use stairs several times a day (flight of about 20 steps)
    And I will begin Lifting as soon as my book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" arrives
    And other than having Asthma, I am in excellent health.

So here is what another Poster told me, feel free to correct/adjust it if necessary.

Based on this information, my TDEE is 2700 (includes exercise)
    I should keep my calories at around 1900-2000
    I was told that since my Lifting is to build muscle AND burn fat to leave it at this
    This should have my Calorie Deficit at about 700-800 and as long as I follow
    this I might expect a loss of 1-1.5 pounds weekly
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Im also 5'1. Honestly, if I ate 2000 calories a day, I would gain weight. I am a personal trainer-on my feet and active all day, and i also burn a ton of calories everyday. I do cardio 3 days a week, lift heavy 3 days a week and do crossfit 10-30 minute workouts 5 days a week. Even with all that activity, I eat about 1200 calories a day to lose 1-2 lbs a week.
  • TeresaMarie46
    Options
    Im also 5'1. Honestly, if I ate 2000 calories a day, I would gain weight. I am a personal trainer-on my feet and active all day, and i also burn a ton of calories everyday. I do cardio 3 days a week, lift heavy 3 days a week and do crossfit 10-30 minute workouts 5 days a week. Even with all that activity, I eat about 1200 calories a day to lose 1-2 lbs a week.

Ok, so then the numbers I was given are not accurate,? (my TDEE is 2700)

My plan was to try keeping my calories at 1900 to see if this worked, and will lower it if it doesn't work for me.
    Last year when I began my journey, I had cals at 1200, and I weighed 267, lost down to 237, I wasn't working out to anything other than simple exercises at home. I gained back 10 of that after my mother passed away. Now I am back on the wagon.

MFP recommends me at 1880, but was told that since my TDEE is 2700, I should try it at 1900-2000,and not eat back calories, which is what I was told to do before. Since I am uncomfortable doing 2000, I will try 1900. As of today, I will no longer eat back my calories since I am trying to go by my TDEE.

Does that sound right?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    OP, if you follow the standard deviation then 1800 to 1900 calories is a good choice. Keep in mind that 30ds is not a huge calorie burner but its a good cardio routine. I would recommend you altering the macros to get more protein and fats. I generally suggest 40% carbs 30% protein and fats. Pro and fats are better for satiety and pro helps with muscle retention. Follow this plan for a month to six weeks. It you dont see 1.5 lbs per week, drop to 1700. But 1700 to 2100 is the average caloric requirement I see for women to lose weight.
  • TeresaMarie46
    Options
    OP, if you follow the standard deviation then 1800 to 1900 calories is a good choice. Keep in mind that 30ds is not a huge calorie burner but its a good cardio routine. I would recommend you altering the macros to get more protein and fats. I generally suggest 40% carbs 30% protein and fats. Pro and fats are better for satiety and pro helps with muscle retention. Follow this plan for a month to six weeks. It you dont see 1.5 lbs per week, drop to 1700. But 1700 to 2100 is the average caloric requirement I see for women to lose weight.

MACROS: As far as protein is concerned, I was told that once I began Lifting that I needed to go by my LBM (Lean Body Mass) which is 145-150. So unless this is incorrect, it is what I plan to begin doing.

STANDARD DEVIATION: MFP has me at 1880. So I will work on keeping it between 1880 -1900, and lower it if necessary.

Thank you so much for all your help
This discussion has been closed.