Weight Loss Help

Options
Hello all,

I just joined the myfitnesspal community and have a few questions about my weight loss

I'm a 24 year old male. I'd say I'm probably 10 lbs over weight and just recently started trying to lose the weight. I've ran 3 miles everyday for the past 16 days now. I'm honestly afraid to take a day off because I don't want to make that a habit. Sometimes I'll do the run in 26 minutes, sometimes 30... I just try and listen to my body and go from there. Recently I've started doing the p90x cardio workout after my runs (though I do take days off from that) and also do very moderate weight resistance training every day at the end of my workout. I have a good muscle tone, but my number one goal is to lose the stomach/face fat.

My diet is generally good. Eggs/Tuna/chicken/Veggies most days. I refuse to eat bread because my body responds to bready food terribly. I use the myfitnesspal calorie counter and follow that as best I can, but I have gone out to dinner and not eaten healthy twice the past 16 days. I've also drank alcohol once the past 16 days and I know that's terrible for weight loss.

My questions are: Is this a proper workout/diet to lose belly/face fat? Should I mix up my workouts? How long should it take for me to see results in the mirror? I saw somewhere it takes 30 days for you to see results, 60 days for others to notice results. Is this generally true?

Sorry for the length of this, but I guess I'm just looking for advice on how to lose the fat. I'm tired of reading about a million different ways to lose weight. Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Replies

• kiwitechgirl
    kiwitechgirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Are you generally close to the calorie intake recommended by MFP, and are you logging your exercise? I'd say you are on track but do listen to your body and don't be afraid to take a day off running every now and then - I can't run every day, I just find it too much. A 'bad" day every now and again won't put weight on, if you're mostly pretty good - and alcohol is only bad in that it's empty calories. Just make sure you're logging as accurately as possible.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    You're gonna lose a lot of muscle doing all that running. I'm not sure how p90x is, but you definitely should incorporate strength training. If you're really concerned about how you look in the mirror then I do say that strength training isn't a "should" but a MUST!

That diet seems good, just make sure your calories are in check. Losing weight is all about creating an energy deficit. Keep a good balance between activity and diet. If you exercise too much it may lead to other problems just the same as if you under eat for too long can also lead to problems :)
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Is this a proper workout/diet to lose belly/face fat?

Cannot spot reduce fat. It will come off eventually in those areas, just keep it up.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hello all,

I just joined the myfitnesspal community and have a few questions about my weight loss

I'm a 24 year old male. I'd say I'm probably 10 lbs over weight and just recently started trying to lose the weight. I've ran 3 miles everyday for the past 16 days now. I'm honestly afraid to take a day off because I don't want to make that a habit. Sometimes I'll do the run in 26 minutes, sometimes 30... I just try and listen to my body and go from there. Recently I've started doing the p90x cardio workout after my runs (though I do take days off from that) and also do very moderate weight resistance training every day at the end of my workout. I have a good muscle tone, but my number one goal is to lose the stomach/face fat.

My diet is generally good. Eggs/Tuna/chicken/Veggies most days. I refuse to eat bread because my body responds to bready food terribly. I use the myfitnesspal calorie counter and follow that as best I can, but I have gone out to dinner and not eaten healthy twice the past 16 days. I've also drank alcohol once the past 16 days and I know that's terrible for weight loss.

My questions are: Is this a proper workout/diet to lose belly/face fat? Should I mix up my workouts? How long should it take for me to see results in the mirror? I saw somewhere it takes 30 days for you to see results, 60 days for others to notice results. Is this generally true?

Sorry for the length of this, but I guess I'm just looking for advice on how to lose the fat. I'm tired of reading about a million different ways to lose weight. Any help is appreciated! Thanks

How many calories are you eating. Also, I also agree that dropping running and upping resistance training or just doing p90x as designed will provide better results. Resistance training is more beneficial as it will help you maintain your lean body mass.
  • pauljsaunders
    Options
    I t took a while for me to understsnd how fat is lost, the one thing I have found true to word for me is that you can not predict where your body will first lose it's fat, some lose it from thier upper legs, or there backside, me... I lost it from the face and neck, then the legs.... but its still hanging around my stomach longer than I want it.... Just search/trial diffeerent workouts and exercise routines to find out what suits you best... good luck... Feel free to add me to your friends list and I'll help where possible like every one else... Have a safe journey on MFP..

Paul
  • awedel21
    Options
    You're gonna lose a lot of muscle doing all that running. I'm not sure how p90x is, but you definitely should incorporate strength training. If you're really concerned about how you look in the mirror then I do say that strength training isn't a "should" but a MUST!

I've noticed already that I can't do the same number of reps when I workout with weights because of all the running I'm doing. But my number one goal is to lose the fat. If I lose my tone, I'm ok with that (pool season is over anyways). Losing the fat is my absolute priority. Would a workout regimen of like 5 days of running + p90x cardio and 2 days of heavy strength training (p90x chest/back and p90x arms and shoulders) be appropriate? I really don't want to stop running and strictly do p90x because I find running very therapeutic.

Again, losing my tone isn't a huge concern of mine. But I know building muscle helps your metabolism, which should help my fat loss as well. What do you think?