Travel for Work

Options
When I was located in DC, my job rarely required me to travel. That allowed me to cook at home and have nice healthy meal where I know what I am consuming. Now that I live in "field" (government speak for satellite office), I am traveling to DC at least once a month. I don't know what I can eat or do to not gain weight while I am on travel. I work out everyday, but it's hard trying to figure out a diet that works. Any advice? I bring oatmeal with me when I travel to reduce some of the stuff I eat.

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    If you find yourself having to eat out a lot it's as simple as planning ahead.

Get to know restaurants in the areas you'll be traveling and look up nutritional information ahead of time. This is what I do for days I forget to bring lunch :)
  • suecq09
    suecq09 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am a diabetic - so I struggle with I travel with my job as well. Its hard to eat well when you eat out all the time.

I pack my own snacks - and find that keeps me on an even keel. I know that now that I am trying to lose weight - it will be that much more important to give myself every advantage possible. The only thing you can do is try to make sure you take along good for you snacks that help reduce the amount you eat when you are at a restaurant.

If you travel to one area often - it wouldn't hurt to locate the nutritional information for the restaurants you eat at most. Most chains have that information available on their websites now. That will make you better prepared to make better choices.
  • mdawson2005
    mdawson2005 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I travel every week so I can relate. What I do most of the time, instead of going out to a restaurant for dinner every night, is try to find a grocery store in the area that has a salad bar where I can go make myself a salad and pick up a piece of fruit as well. You may have to search around to find the store, but it's worth it.

As a previous reply also stated, plan ahead and check on-line nutrition guides for the local restaurants.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,002 Member
    Options
    You can start bringing granola bars, rice cakes and things like this snack on so you arent so hungry at meal times. The oatmeal is a great idea. I also agree with the other poster to get to know restraunts in the area and learn what the best choices are. Alot of restraunts have their calories and nutritional information posted on their websites....
  • menjivas
    menjivas Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I like the id of going to the salad bar and kind of picking my own thing!