Starting Diet Pills at a Normal Weight

Options

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I saw a psychiatrist a few days ago after being referred by a GP to him- he said to me "your weight is in the normal BMI range for your height- but lets face it- you do look overweight"

Worst psychiatrist ever. I'm guessing this one was in the bottom 5% of the graduating class.
  • splixi
    splixi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I saw a psychiatrist a few days ago after being referred by a GP to him- he said to me "your weight is in the normal BMI range for your height- but lets face it- you do look overweight"

Worst psychiatrist ever. I'm guessing this one was in the bottom 5% of the graduating class.

bottom of the class or not he earns a LOT of money being private.... and didn't mind telling me that either!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

bottom of the class or not he earns a LOT of money being private.... and didn't mind telling me that either!

Find a new psychiatrist and file a complaint against him. Telling someone that knowing they have certain issues is crap. And also, you don't need pills. Take things slow but first...new psychiatrist asap.

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/information-referral-helpline

Maybe try this link and see if they can refer you to someone in your area.
  • TaurusV
    Options
    Hi all,

I have lost 8-9kg in September alone.

I saw a psychiatrist a few days ago after being referred by a GP to him- he said to me "your weight is in the normal BMI range for your height- but lets face it- you do look overweight"....which was probably the last thing I needed to hear when i'm so self-conscious.

What a jerk! Look I suffered from an eating disorder when I was 18, you dont want to go there. 10 kg in one month is a lot to lose! In the end you cant keep that if you lose so quickly, can be dangerous if you are not with a bad BMI. You can gain everything back or more and very quick. Plus it can make your depression, if you have it, even worse. I was forced to eat a lot or they said my heart would just stop. You dont deserve this. Love your body, is the only one you have :). We women suffer so much with this media and crazy ideals. As long as you are happy and healthier as you can, do your best and you will go through it!

Lately I was reading a book called Mood Cure, it says how bad diet can cause all types of bad feelings. Are you eating enough protein? Amino acids? Avoiding stuff as french fries? Healthy carbs like rice, baked potatoes, whole eat bread? Did you ever tried a nutritionist/endocrinologist? They can help you without the pills. Are you able to exercise with you lung condition?

I was very thin and I was not happy, I was even more depressed and I kept thinking I was not thin enough, so if I could, I would NEVER do that again. I know how you feel though!
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    My son was on that for his asthma for a while and what it did seem to do is make him look 'puffy' which is perhaps due to water retention.

Look I know you don't want to hear that, but I would really just go one step at a time. Figure out how to deal with the steroid and eat healthily. Normal portions and all your fruit and veggies. Get a new doctor for the mental component. Stay away from the diet pills or at least make sure you know everything there is about a diet pill and how it interacts with the steroid.

And above all BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. Your weight does not define you. It matters very little. You are more then just a bunch of fatcells dressed in clothing. You are wonderful and have a lot to offer to people. Hold your head high and don't look yourself into your house for fear of rejection. Go meet your friends and have a laugh. It works wonders. Good luck :-)
  • Italiangrey
    Options
    dont go on diet pills. Just exercise and eat healthy
  • cj731
    cj731 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yeh- bloody med....but i'd be dead without it. (prednisone)- I think that he thinks diet pills will suppress the massive appetite that it gives you and the cravings- maybe stopping my vicious gain/lose extremes cycle.

Because of my lung disease my ability to exercise is very limited
    -and yeh I have been very strict with my calorie intake. Never more than 1100 a day just until I get to a lower weight.

I'm determined to prove to him I can do this! 12 more kg's!

I think though that i'll talk to my GP before anything....I had a very low potassium level a few weeks ago and had to go to hospital to have infusions and I think I want to ask her about it first. I really do want to do it as he said that Topirimate is also good for mood stabilisation and maybe I won't feel as depressed about image and stuff.

I have so much sympathy for you.
    A few years back I was on steroids for a medical condition, and coupled with the chronic fatigue I was suffering too I ballooned to 87.5kgs and exercise was so difficult. It took so much willpower to start making changes and losing weight, and you should give yourself a massive pat on the back for having taken the steps you already have. You've given yourself a body within a good weight range and you're taking every step to be healthy. A lot of people would use a condition as an excuse to not do anything about their body, and it's really admirable that you haven't. You're stronger than you give yourself credit for.
    As for pills to help with weight loss, it's definitely worth talking to GP before taking anything new. The last thing you want is anything that may have an adverse effect on your health - losing an extra 0.2 of a kilo in a week isn't worth a visit to hospital or you feeling so unwell you can't manage even light exercise, and at a healthy weight as you are I think some exercise is really going to assist you in achieving the look you're after.
    If that's you in your picture, you're a beautiful girl and you shouldn't have anything to feel low about in terms of how you look. I think the way your other doctor spoke to you was rather harsh, your face doesn't appear overweight. If you really want to lose weight just make sure you're doing it for you and your own health, not because you have to prove anything.
    In terms of feeling full and killing appetite, fibre and water does it for me! A tablespoon of psyllium husk, a full glass of water and even a teaspoon or so of chia seeds are great for filling your stomach and preventing you from eating too much. Lean protein is also awesome for keeping you satisfied and helping you to retain your existing muscle. A little fat doesn't hurt either, chicken with a small amount of tasty cheese topping or with organic peanut butter is delicious! And of course you would know the benefits of salads and veggies and the low calorie bang for your buck, just personally I find I'm more satisfied with protein as it feels 'heavier' to me.
    Best of luck with everything, hope you get some good advice from your GP and your health stays great :)
  • splixi
    Options
    thanks so much for all of your replies!! I don't really have much trust in this dr so I might explain the situation to my GP and ask if she thinks a different referral might be a better idea ;)
  • splixi
    Options
    All I can say now is (4 months lateR)- I wish I left this doctor earlier... eating disorders destroy everything. Physically your heart is at risk, you isolate socially for fear of food and your family no longer trust what you say. You start to feel like you are just a puppet to it.
  • huv123
    huv123 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    No ****.

Especially since going on prednisolone can give you a "moon face" due to water retention.
  • huv123
    huv123 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

This makes me so mad, the more I think about it.

I would personally consider making a formal complaint against him to the medical board. This comment was grossly inappropriate. Worse still, unless someone speaks up he will never have a "history" of making such comments, and you can bet if he makes them to you he is making them to other patients.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian earn a lot of money, would you trust either them to successfully walk across a room without somehow lighting themselves on fire? A good psychiatrist has a record of success with his patients, not his bank account. There are plenty of people in the fields of psychology and psychiatry who make a lot of money, not because they are good, but because they have found patients who have a lot of money and are happy to fork it over each week for their sessions without making any real progress.

Ditch the shrink and find another one. I would personally file a complaint against Dr. Moneybags as well.

ETA: Ah, it's early and I didn't see the dates. I got all fired up wanting to punch your doctor. Glad you stopped seeing him.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    i'll do anything right now to be thin

Anything? If you're light but look heavy, then lifting weights seems the obvious solution while ditching diet pills because you'll need to eat to build a decent body. You'll end up heavier but look lighter.

This. You can be light yet "look overweight" because the only thing between your bones and your skin is fat with a little muscle. Build some muscle and you will look better, I promise.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    You need a new psychiatrist. I can't think of a reasonable reason why to tell someone who is in normal BMI with a history of disordered eating and self image problems to use diet pills or even losing more weight.

this
  • splixi
    Options
    I'm too scared to file a complaint against anybody. After numerous hospital admissions and just constant deterioration I finally left him. Sometimes with an eating disorder you feel like two people. My eating disorder loved him because he would enable it and give me diet pills and everytime I left I was motivated to lose more weight by whatever unhealthy means I liked. I have just gotten out of hospital after a month in there with this kind of crap and really want to turn things around but finally admitted he was a really awful thing for me even though I think he wanted to do the right thing by me (help me get a body I liked).

He wasn't right for me and the healthy part of my head knows that now even though my eating disorder wants to go back to him.

I'm not going to talk to him again or even tell him that i'm not seeing him but i'll leave it at that. I hope that other people experience more progress with him than I did.

Here's to better times!- learning to try and eat normally again is a very hard thing to do....and the fear and guilt. I'm determined now and have a supportive team of psychiatrist/counsellor/dietician/gp.

The more I read through this thread the more I wish i'd have done this earlier!- I feel so foolish! but like I said it was never "me" that liked him but my eating disorder...
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Too scared to file a complaint? That's a shame. It will allow him to carry on abusing other patients.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Too scared to file a complaint? That's a shame. It will allow him to carry on abusing other patients.

QFT x10. Complaints are generally anonymous, what's to be afraid of??
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    please, please, PLEASE file a complaint with your state medical board. If you can't bring yourself to do it, have a parent or other close family member do it on your behalf. You have survived this, others may not be so lucky, if exposed to this 'Doctor'. For all any of us can know, he may be practising illegally, and your report (and the consequences of his treatment) could get him properly investigated. If nothing else, it adds to a body of evidence that he is unfit to practise, which may hopefully, in time, limit his ability to harm unwitting patients. There is nothing at all to be scared of - you make the complaint, and other people act on it - that's their job.
  • splixi
    Options
    He thought he was helping me. He knew I wanted to be smaller to be happier and was trying to help me with it and to control the appetite that came with other medications.

I guess it wasn't his fault that I took the passing/fleeting comments and internalised them. He just wasn't right for me- maybe he'd be perfect for someone else and I wouldn't want to jeopardise that.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    You need a new psychiatrist. I can't think of a reasonable reason why to tell someone who is in normal BMI with a history of disordered eating and self image problems to use diet pills or even losing more weight.

Um, I'm going to agree with this. I don't know any doctor who would tell a person with disordered eating or body image issues that they're a normal BMI but look overweight. Find another doctor and get a second opinion. I would also go back to your GP and see what he/she thinks about taking the diet pills in combination with the Prednisone.

And I also agree lifting weights may be a better option. Ditch your scale, you're more than a number. Go how by you look and feel. After you've started lifting heavy, you'll lose inches and your body will look completely different.

This.

Personally, I am less concerned about the diet pills than I am about what your psych said to you.