My 30 Day Shred Results...Boo, Hiss

Options
...Ok, ok, so Im technically only on Day 19 today, and I am aware that its called the "30 Day Shred" and not the "19 Day Shred", and likely for a reason. But Im seriously considering tossing in the towel at this point. Im not noticing ANY weight loss ont he scale, any changes in my clothing, or any new muscle tone that wasnt there 19 days ago. Ive even added in extra runs and thrown in the more difficult "Last Chance Workout" a few days just to get more muslces moving. Nada. Nothing. Zero difference. I feel like Im gaining and losing the same pound over and over.
Im hoping for some amazing stories from other Shredders who suddenly woke up to fantastic results after day 19 or 20. I took "Before" pics, and I just took "Halfway" pics at day 15...and there is ZERO difference. In fact, I couldnt tell which pics were from which day when I went to upload them to my blog. :(
Anyone have any encouraging stories from Shredding? Thanks!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 80% nutrition and 20% exercise, so how has your nutrition been? If your nutrition has been good maybe you haven't been eating enough with all the working out.
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Sorry, love... I tried 30 Day Shred too... and I got very little results (even though my nutrition was up there too) and Jillian made me so angry that I found myself yelling back at the tv. I had to try something else...

I hope it works for you, though... keep us posted! Even if you try another avenue, don't give up!! :)
  • ashley0424
    ashley0424 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need to really watch the nutrition but if your doing everything right then maybe you need to incorporate progress Pictures. I highly recommend taking weekly pictures it's not too late- don't give up (the Mirror lies!) 19 days is really just over 2 weeks and most people will tell you that you will start to see significant results on any program in 6 weeks. it sucks but we can all do it!!
  • snicole918
    Options
    What is this 30 day shred?
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I absolutley HATED the 30 day shred. One of my friends had great success with it and was seeing result in a day or two. I, on the other hand, was in so much pain and lost ABSOLUTLEY nothing--actually, I gained...and it wasn't muscle weight (and I was eating wonderfully!). I was constantly screaming at my TV and cussing out Jillian Michaels--even the sight of her DVD made me mad. LOL I'm a really happy person but she turned me into a b**ch! LOL :)

Maybe for you, like for me, it's just not the right kind of work out. Try something you enjoy...and if you find something "fun", let us know! :)
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I did the 30-day shred in May and I did not see any weight loss, but it was the only exercise I got, but I did it everyday. Still, 25 minutes of exercise is not a lot. I think I saw some strength improvement and maybe a little more definition in my arms. I wish I had taken before/after pics because it is hard to notice the changes in yourself.
  • borisda
    borisda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    sorry mate but there ain't no quick fix. You just eat healthy and exercise hard and it takes time. I've been doing this for nearly five years and just getting the body I want.
  • EmilyV80
    EmilyV80 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm getting discouraged with the shred too. I was loosing consistently for about a month and then I started the shred and I haven't lost anything in two weeks. I didn't take measurements but my clothes definitely aren't fitting any different. I think I may stop, go back to the work outs I was doing before.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    When I did the 30 Day Shred I didn't do it daily or religiously...did it about 3 times a week. I didn't see movement on the scale. It was all in the tape measure and my strength. I could feel that it was improving my strength and cardio. Nothing drastic. I lost an inch or two from my waist.
  • irchrismm
    irchrismm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm doing P90X, and even if you don't do this program, what you must do is be consistent, be focused, and do your best every single time. It may be you have plateaued because your body is already accustomed to these exercises, and your metabolism has stopped climbing. Maybe change it up. What works for some may not work for you. Maybe you need to eat more protein and add in another type of exercise that you don't do normally. Or it may be, that your body is just getting used to the routines. I know with P90X, it is days 60-90 that show the most results. In fact there is really only a little loss in the beginning as your metabolism is trying to get going. It just doesn't go from dormant to super furnace in a couple of days. In any case - finish what you've started, and if that doesn't work move on to something more challenging for your body.
  • sublimechik28
    sublimechik28 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i love the 30 day shred it was a great starting point for me to stick w something i didnt lose alot like 10 lbs in like a month and week but my diet wasnt perfect either. have u swiched levels yet? i started doing one level in the morning then one at night or run and then the shred. if u can get through it start doing 2 levels together. i started doing that now that i can get through one level and not be drenched in sweat and out of breath! lol
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I totally know that there is no quick fix, but thank you for the reminder. Since this DVD/program implies results in 30 days, I am discouraged that there are so many here who arent seeing results. If the title didnt suggest there would be a noticeable difference in 30 days, then I would never EXPECT results in 30 days. I am not meticulously counting every single calorie like i have done in the past, but I am definitely within my BMR plus exercise calories 5 days a week. I know that I can lose weight on 1200 calories a day and running 4 or 5 days a week, but I cant realistically live on 1200 cals a day. I gain back any weight loss, and then some. And while I love running, I was looking for something different.
    I will complete the 30 days,a s boring as it is, simply because I said I would and I dont want to quit. But so far, I am pretty discouraged and disappointed.

Someone mentioned "do what is FUN" (or something to that affect), and it really struck home :) That is a great reminder! THANK YOU. I have found that the Last Chance Workout burns significantly more calories for me, and has more cardio/heart pumping moves. I am having fun with that one, so maybe I will commit to doing that workout for the last 10 days...and itll be my "30 Days of Jillian" challenge instead of just her stinky Shred. :)

I tried Power Sculpt today, and its okay, and likely an awesome workout, but I was soooo bored with it that I turned it off 15 minutes in.
    I took measurements before I started 19 days ago, and pictures as evidence. I'm also blogging privately every day re: how the workout felt, how I ate, etc. I MIGHT be willing to share after Day 30, just so I can help others who are thinking about Shredding.
  • stephnsuarez
    stephnsuarez Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! I haven't tried it yet (cause it hasn't come in the mail yet), but I ordered Turbofire and I can't WAIT to start! it's apparently really intense but really fun, so I hear. I'm starting it as soon as I get it next week and I will be SURE to keep you posted with my 30 day results! Good luck to you! I'm sure you'll find something fun and motivating! It's all trial and error unfortunately cause not everything works for me...trust me, I've tried 'em all!
  • EboniA
    EboniA Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I was doing the shred inconsistently for about a month. I wasn't losing much, if any, weight but I felt my muscles toning up under the fat. I had to do some cardio to see the pounds drop. The thing I really noticed is that since I was building muscle, I was burning more fat doing nothing but especially during my cardio workouts. After starting cardio and shredding 2-3 times a week, I have been losing 1-2 lbs a week.

It doesn't really matter what works for everyone else, what matters is what works for you!! Next... try something else. :wink:
  • sheyna1983
    sheyna1983 Posts: 137
    Options
    ...Ok, ok, so Im technically only on Day 19 today, and I am aware that its called the "30 Day Shred" and not the "19 Day Shred", and likely for a reason. But Im seriously considering tossing in the towel at this point. Im not noticing ANY weight loss ont he scale, any changes in my clothing, or any new muscle tone that wasnt there 19 days ago. Ive even added in extra runs and thrown in the more difficult "Last Chance Workout" a few days just to get more muslces moving. Nada. Nothing. Zero difference. I feel like Im gaining and losing the same pound over and over.
    Im hoping for some amazing stories from other Shredders who suddenly woke up to fantastic results after day 19 or 20. I took "Before" pics, and I just took "Halfway" pics at day 15...and there is ZERO difference. In fact, I couldnt tell which pics were from which day when I went to upload them to my blog. :(
    Anyone have any encouraging stories from Shredding? Thanks!

That sucks :angry: .... is the "Last Chance Workout" a different DVD? Maybe your body just needs more challenge - I would try doing that LCW workout every day instead....or alternate with cardio. I heard weight loss is 60/40 nutrition/exercise - what are you eating??
  • quentien3
    quentien3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hey, you can always up the weights to increase the intensity and burn more calories. Also, I would suggest more raw food and unfined sugar if you gotta have it.

One of the things that are key for me is, 1 glass of water before and after a nights sleep. I have a few more tips that should help, let me know.
  • marji4x
    marji4x Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is not enough for most adults, much less someone who is working out a lot.

I randomly calculated a BMR for a 5'4" 24-year-old woman who weighs 100 lbs and I got a BMR of 1278 using the Harriss Benedict formula (there's one here: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/). I don't think a lot of us weigh that, that are trying to lose weight. I know I need about 1900 calories, which I eat, and I still lose weight.

It might not be the workout that's the problem, try eating more. I've been learning that if we don't eat enough, the body can eventually plateau and stop losing weight in an effort to conserve resources.

There's more info on this approach over at www.fat2fitradio.com Good luck!