Is banana bad for you if you're trying to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Bananas are a great source of potassium which helps balance your sodium levels, which in turns helps you not retain excess water... so, bananas actually help you look leaner ;)
  • sadified
    Options
    Carmen Miranda agrees that bananas are good for you...

carmen-miranda1.jpg

tumblr_lm0akblRon1qc6qvto1_500.gif

LMAO!
  • sadified
    Options
    After reading all the replies i guess i should have just half a banana considering it does contain sugar but also has its benifits so i should just half half of it. Thanks guys it really helped.
  • sadified
    Options
    Yeah thats what i am gonna do.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    overthinking it!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Bananas are not low carb, but you don't need to eat low carb to lose weight. It's ok to have the sugar. I eat bananas and potatoes in the same day quite often, and it makes no difference in my weight loss. Potatoes and bananas just get a bad rap.
  • kristyloz75
    Options
    I eat a banana with a yogourt for breakfast everyday. I lost 32lbs since july 1st.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Christo516 is correct and deathaco is obviously an idiot. You shouldn't post responses to things you CLEARLY know nothing about. There is a VERY important timeline when it comes to what food you eat and when. Maybe you should brush up on your Biology and stop telling people incorrect information.

First off, don't necro threads noob.

Second, you don't know what you're talking about, intake timing in general has been debunked for years, when related to non-elites.

Strong eighth post. lol.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    sadified wrote: »
    I have been on a low carb diet and low calorie diet like i keep it balanced so i avoid eating too much carbs. I heard banana has carbs and i love bananas. So i should avoid them?

What is your carb goal? Because that's going to determine whether or not you can fit bananas into your diet. A smallish banana has around 25g - 30g of carbs and that can easily fit into my carb goal of under 50g a day.

I usually have one carby thing (bananas, beans, potatoes, flour for gravy etc.) several times a week without any problem. For example, if I'm having chili (w/ beans) for dinner I won't have fruit with breakfast. Or if I'm having a steak and salad for dinner I know it's fine to have a small banana or a huge bowl of berries with breakfast.

Low carb is restrictive enough -- don't make yourself crazy eliminating nutritious, whole foods from your diet when chances are you can fit them into your day just fine.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I have a banana every day. 115 lbs down and goin strong.
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    What's the purpose of the low carb diet? I ate the carbs MFP gave me and the weight just flew off....
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Christo516 wrote: »
    Bananas are not bad for you. They have potasium and are good for you if eaten at the right time. (right after a workout) .

Bananas are good for us when eaten at any time of the day…
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Ever since I've increased banana consumption, I've lost 31 lbs.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I am happy someone finally asked this. You should never eat a yellow banana, it must have brown spots before you eat it. A yellow banana is pure starch and will bind you. A brown spot banana is fully ripe, is pure carb, is full of vitamins and will fill you up. Now you know!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    What I learned about bananas this week; the guy in front of me at checkout had green bananas and was 90 years old. He is an optimist, true story.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I am happy someone finally asked this. You should never eat a yellow banana, it must have brown spots before you eat it. A yellow banana is pure starch and will bind you. A brown spot banana is fully ripe, is pure carb, is full of vitamins and will fill you up. Now you know!
    Now we know what? That you don't know?
    This thread is getting sillier and sillier :D
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    pretty sure the OP isn't checking for answers; June of '13 they probably moved on.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options

Am not sure if you are serious.

Surely not, as that is just silly - a banana doesn't magically change properties just because it is bit riper than it used to be.