Getting tired all the comments

Options

Replies

• Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    If it was someone I didn't even know, I would tell them to STFU.

If it was someone I knew being like that, I would pat them on the shoulder, give them the most condescending look I could muster, and say "Bless your heart, you poor thing. You really think that's how it works?" Then walk away before they could respond.

Love you!
  • melinda189
    Options
    Just agree w/them. then they won't have a comeback. they're just looking for someone to argue w/& every time u respond u give them what they want. Next time somebody says something about u having surgery just say you know what i can't hide it anymore you're right. i've been going to the dr every day during my lunch breaks to have weight loss surgery done- please don't tell anybody else. then just walk away. They're already talking about u behind ur back anyway- give them something good to run with!
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    No one is jealous, they are just shocked at the change. There are so many misconceptions about weight loss and nutrition that people assume that unless you're eating salads for 3 years you cannot lose. And when they see someone successfully lose, especially if they are still enjoying food, they feel insecure about their own inability to manage their fitness.

Yes!
  • Dixie2111
    Dixie2111 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi hello, please know that it's fear of failure that makes them nasty, theirs not yours; your's is not a failure its a story of success and they are the losers, not you, well no int their way anyhow! Well done - I bet you look fabulous! I'm trying to reverse type 2 diabetes and come off the metformin medication I've been on for the last four years and so far my glucose reading have improved and are very very good and although I have only lost just over a stone, I am very small at 4ft 10 so for me its like losing three! I get weird looks from my work colleagues and no one so far has asked me how I am doing it because they are all struggling with their own weights. I get filthy looks from one or two of the overweight women in the office since I have gone down two dress sizes, have boundless energy and look younger than ever for my 61 years, but I have a secret pal in myfitnesspal, So, don't let these people get you down sweetie...just look at what you have achieved and like me you have done it all on your own (well, with this wonderful site too haha!) You have given me hope and inspiration I can tell you. Well done and don't let the b's get you down! :flowerforyou:
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Are people really flipping over 27 pounds or is your counter inaccurate?

27 pounds is pretty significant. At my highest weight, I was only about 20 pounds overweight, yet it made a MAJOR difference in my appearance. Just because some people don't start out "obese" doesn't mean their results don't have a significant impact in their appearance or that they have any less reason to be proud of their accomplishments.

Point taken, but if someone starts at 20 or 30 pounds overweight, no one is going to assume they had surgery to lose it. When someone starts at 100 pounds overweight, surgery is the first assumption.

You're assuming that the general populace is educated enough about weight loss surgery to know that. They aren't. People are, generally, morons and will tend to assume someone took the easy way out as it's what much of the population would do themselves in the same situation.
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Jealousy is a disease, and misery loves company....
    Keep your head up, and be proud of your own accomplishments.
    Next time someone says some thing ask them, "Jealous much?" Or give them a smile, and a wink and walk away.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options

27 pounds is pretty significant. At my highest weight, I was only about 20 pounds overweight, yet it made a MAJOR difference in my appearance. Just because some people don't start out "obese" doesn't mean their results don't have a significant impact in their appearance or that they have any less reason to be proud of their accomplishments.

Point taken, but if someone starts at 20 or 30 pounds overweight, no one is going to assume they had surgery to lose it. When someone starts at 100 pounds overweight, surgery is the first assumption.
    I am amazed at the way you are belittling the amazing accomplishment the op has made! And how can you say no one would assume surgery, do you know EVERYOnE?

Op there is an adjustment period as others have stated. It takes time for people to see you as you are now and not as you were then.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Yup I've heard it all myself. I have an uncle who hasn't seen me since I was at my biggest, he got on facebook and seen a photo of me and told my cousin I'm pretty good with photoshop. Really? There is no way I could photoshop myself on every photo lol. He finally realized I wasn't photoshopping when my mom started to also lose weight and that's his sister, she made comments of how I inspired her to better herself and he shut up.

I've been accused of having surgery, been told there is no way I could not have loose skin for as much weight as I've lost, but I'm a poor girl, can't afford surgery.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    If it was someone I didn't even know, I would tell them to STFU.

If it was someone I knew being like that, I would pat them on the shoulder, give them the most condescending look I could muster, and say "Bless your heart, you poor thing. You really think that's how it works?" Then walk away before they could respond.

Dammit. I want to do this.
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    "A wolf does not concern herself with the opinion of sheep."

Take it, embrace it, live it.
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options

I am amazed at the way you are belittling the amazing accomplishment the op has made! And how can you say no one would assume surgery, do you know EVERYOnE?

Op there is an adjustment period as others have stated. It takes time for people to see you as you are now and not as you were then.

You are reading WAY into things. I've belittled no one. Good for her on her weight loss. I am saying that if someone loses 27 pounds, I find it hard to believe people are coming out of the woodwork accusing her of surgery and making nasty comments. I guess the exception would be if she started at a healthy weight and is now grossly underweight. Then I could understand concern.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

You are reading WAY into things. I've belittled no one. Good for her on her weight loss. I am saying that if someone loses 27 pounds, I find it hard to believe people are coming out of the woodwork accusing her of surgery and making nasty comments. I guess the exception would be if she started at a healthy weight and is now grossly underweight. Then I could understand concern.

Maybe if someone is truly jealous and being hateful because maybe they aren't trying to lose weight but want's to lose weight, it's possible for someone to be that cold and hateful. Nothing surprises me anymore to be honest.
  • klerato
    Options
    You must look great then,Congrats:flowerforyou:
  • soapyapples
    Options
    Jealousy is quite loud sometimes. Also, take the potatoes. Free food is awesome.

:D
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I just look people up and down, burst out laughing, and walk away.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    No one is jealous, they are just shocked at the change. There are so many misconceptions about weight loss and nutrition that people assume that unless you're eating salads for 3 years you cannot lose. And when they see someone successfully lose, especially if they are still enjoying food, they feel insecure about their own inability to manage their fitness.

you don't think envy is a common outcome of that insecurity?
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Why did your boss have to defend you? You can't stand up for yourself? With this kind of work environment, I'd be looking for a new job?
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Why did your boss have to defend you? You can't stand up for yourself? With this kind of work environment, I'd be looking for a new job?

YES.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

you don't think envy is a common outcome of that insecurity?

Sometimes, but I think it is a bit more complicated than that. I think that it can make them feel bad about themselves and to combat it they decide that the person MUST have "cheated" somehow or are ill, because that is the only way it is possible for a "normal" person.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

Really? You're going to leave a job because somebody said something mean??? Wow. Talk about an overreaction.