Need Serious Food Help

2»

Replies

• IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 465 Member
    $400/month is that all for groceries for 2.5 people? If so that is a lot. My wife and I eat very healthy and spend under $300/month for 2 of us. Try buying fruit and veggies that are in season, as well as whole wheat pastas. Lentils and beans are very good for you and cheap. Buy them in a bag dehydrated and you just have to soak them for a short-time prior to cooking. Brown rice can also be fairly cheap as is couscous. Buy meat in bulk and eat less of it with each meal that you eat it.

I'm not sure where you buy but I find eating healthy, unless you are buying organic everything, much cheaper than eating pre-packaged crap. Re-evaluate what you buy and you should be able to find at least 20% savings of stuff you don't need or have cheaper alternatives (instead of minute rice you can buy 3 times as much regular rice, as an example)

I live in a state (MI) that does not charge sales tax on food, so the price of our food tends to be considerably higher to make up for it. When I lived in OK we had sales tax on food, I could buy a whole shopping cart for $80. Here a shopping cart costs me $150, same stuff, no sales tax.

I should also mention that my fiancé is a big guy. Not fat, just big. With a very high metabolism. He has been to the doc numerous times over this. He eats in one day what many could live off of for 2-3. This is no joke. He also trains and teaches MMA and Jujitsu so he is always working out. He eats at the very least every 3-5 hours.

His daughter is 5. She is very active and takes after her dad as far as eating. She is always hungry. I guess I should not say always. Here within the last few months. She must be going through a growth spurt.

We don't always go through all of the food we buy. We buy our meat in bulk at a local shop that does a meat sale once a month.

Frozen or canned vegetables depending on whats on sale.

Fresh food is only salad fixings, apples, bananas and once in a while a berry of some sort.

Bagged potato. I make all my own fries, hash browns, etc.

We have a garden, first time this year. The moles damaged most of our stuff, but we have 4 tomato plants going strong. My family also has gardens so we do a lot of canning.

We love rice and I get it by the bag. Nothing instant. Old fashion style. Same with oatmeal.

We buy wheat pasta, but here its $2 more than regular.

I make my own sauces from previous years canning.

I buy bagged beans to soak and make my own soups.

We do buy a few convenience items, but they are very rare anymore since I started to cook all our meals. I make a little extra for lunch for both of us the next day.

I was buying light bread. Now I just buy regular and cut my piece in two.

I was on WW for 4 years so I learned many tricks to stretch out a budget. But, with him being an eating machine it seems impossible this time.
  • IrishChik
    Hope this website will help with ideas!

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/40dollarmenu.htm

Awesome! I am going to add that to all my thrifty bookmarks! TY!
  • IrishChik
    I'm SO sorry to hear what has happened to you. I sincerely hope and pray that it is a mistake. Don't be afraid to confront the powers that be.

Secondly, you get kudos for going after your dream of being a writer. Too many of us dream and never do.

As to help and ideas: this is harder, of course. But a few I can think of immediately --

Beans are an excellent protein source, as well as being high-fiber. You can't go wrong with a dinner of red beans and rice, or mexican food made with beans instead of meat.

Sometimes grocery stores will mark down produce that is starting to go bad--bananas that are turning brown, tomatoes with a bruise that can be cut off, and you can take them home and either eat them immediately or cook something that can be frozen. The grocery store I shop at also marks down milk and meat (1/2 off!) on the sell-by date, and again, you can freeze them. (Skim milk freezes nicely--milk with fat in it separates and you need to shake it up.) You have to haunt the aisles every day, but it can keep you in produce and meat.

I have a prayer list that I keep up and I am going to put you on it. I sincerely hope you find the cut has been a mistake.

I hope it is a mistake as well. I have been talking to my cousin and she was telling me that her/her husband, her sister and her family, the parents, basically all of them have been cut as well. Perhaps it is a statewide mistake? Or the state is just out of money. Either way, I talked to Matt (my fiancé) and he understands that if it is the way it has to be, then it is going to take some budgeting and planning on both our behalf. I remember all of the things my mom did when I was young and we had those hard times here and there when my dad would be laid off and unemployment didn't quite stretch. Home and utilities had to be paid so food went a different route.

There is a really nice food outlet about 45min drive and it is worth it to go once a month. We also have a church food pantry in town where his mother goes to church. She is always telling us to come to it as she knows how much her son eats. LOL.

Kroger is a wonderful store to get mark down dairy, I often find gallons of milk for 99 cents. I buy a couple and freeze them. And they always have $1 or 88 cent sales. I have gotten pretty good about planning meals around what is on sale in the past. So I am going to have to dust those skills off.

My mom has been good about teaching me tips and tricks lately as she is seeing just how much my honey eats!

I don't mind bean based meals at all. I was vegetarian for a long time. So I plan to get back to that too. Not so much full vegan but less meat overall and more bean base.

It is just actually taking the time to plan it out that is going to be hard. It was easier when I was alone and living on my own. Different now with a family and so much going on around us.

My organizational skills are going to need some organization of their own! LOL

Thank you for your words and prayers, it really means a lot to me!
  • IrishChik
    are you in a warm state? maybe start your own garden :)

Not in a warm state, in Michigan. But we did start our own garden this year. Moles attacked it so much of it has been ruined. Tomato plants are still going strong!
  • IrishChik
    I have a house hold of 5-6 people (14yr old, 10yr old, 7yr old, my brother and I, and usually kids friends, and my best friend and her kids eat with us several times a week) and and I feed everyone for around $400-500 a month, usually less but I've had a tiny bit extra the last 2 months (this month is a WHOLE different story though). I always have lots of fruits and veggies around here. I start in the produce section and buy what is cheapest and then kind of plan the weeks meals around what I can find cheaply in the produce department. I hit up the bulk bins for rice, beans, pasta and any other dry goods and spices that I need. Then its off to see what I can find meat/protein wise that is fairly cheep. I rarely buy anything processed, and no junk. I also don't buy food for lunch..I just make large batches of dinner so we have left overs for that, that saves me a bit of money as well. I do buy cereal for the kids for breakfast, but they don't get to snack on that all day.

It works out pretty well, but takes a lot of work. I try to go shopping early in the morning so I don't have a lot of people to fight around the aisles with. It makes it much easier for me to concentrate on what to buy. I take a calculator, and a paper. Sometimes I start with a menu of meals, and then take it with me so I can adjust my menu and list to fit what is cheaper. I also only go shopping once a week, sometimes once every 2 weeks if I find good deals on meat and vegs, but I have an extra freezer in my storage room on my back porch...was the best purchase I ever made. lol

Good luck, and just keep at it...it is doable!!

I do have an extra freezer in the garage! I think I am going to have to go grocery shopping by myself so I can stick to my list. Many years ago when I was married , we were on a weekly budget. I always did pretty good. My mom came from a very large farming family so she taught me a great deal about cooking larger portions to freeze, using crock pots, making your own stocks and things like that. I know it can be done, its just going to take some extra planning on my part. Kudos to you for doing it!
  • IrishChik
    Hopefully it was a mistake.

I might get negative feedback for this, but people who are having problems with money should look at their priorities.
    Necessities and luxury's

Internet, cell phone, cable, are not necessities, but a luxury.
    Having 2 dogs cost money. That money is food taken away from you, your OH and child's mouth.

If you want to have the luxury's and pets, you should get a part time job. if you can't get the money, then take a luxury until you can afford it.

I can't speak for everyone else.

He works part time at Best Buy. They will not ever give him 40 hours because they do not want to give up benefits. Thats the real world of working in retail. He is going to school for respiratory therapy and about to start his clinical. It is now a waiting game. Anyone who has been through medical clinical knows trying to work a job is a nightmare on top of working your clinical, which you do not get paid for. We could be waiting another year before he gets his turn in the clinical as their are 43 students ahead of him and they only take a handful at a time. It is pointless for him to get another job as there would be no time.

He was unemployed for a year so we are trying to get out of a hardship. It is hard when he only works 15-25 hrs a week. Once in a while he might get 38. Pay is not all that great, although it is above min. wage.

He does not have custody of his daughter. Therefor 1/3 of his income goes directly to his ex for child support.

We used to have internet/phone/cable through the same company. We are planning to fork over $130 to get out of our contract so that we can switch phone to a cheaper company that allows us a break due to our financial situation and the internet is a MUST have as my schooling and work is all done online. Thankfully its cheaper through the company we plan to switch to. Our television will be watched through a laptop that will be hooked up to the tv. All of the shows we like are available online for free, or through netflix or hulu premium. Way cheaper per month than what were paying a month for the 3 products. I just have to work harder to get the extra money to get out of the contract, but I think we will be better off in the long run.

My cell phone is $25 prepaid. It is the lowest the company has. His cell phone is $20 through best buy. Since he is an employee thats all he has to pay.

We have 2 cars, insurance is $107 a month. That is just basic liability, no full coverage, no extras. It is also the cheapest as I have checked with all of them.

The car I used to have was repo when I could not find a job a few years ago. I saved enough money to pay cash for both the cars we have now. We don't have a car payment.

I have 1 credit card with no balance and one line of credit with no balance.

He has one car repair credit card, it has a balance. We pay monthly.

He also has credit cards that he had when he was married that still have quite a bit on them, which gets paid monthly.

Our mortgage has been modified from because of our financial situation.

We still have other things to pay for like gas. We live in the country and it is a commute to go anywhere. Of course we have other utilities that have to be paid.

We only eat out maybe once a week , as a treat. Sometimes not even that. And once in a blue moon we go with his kid to McDs, as a treat after church, and even that is rare anymore. We are lucky to see a movie once a month.

When we go out, we stick to the free things the cities have to offer.

I do work. I work for myself. It does take time getting clients. I have a handful of steady clients. I am also a student. That takes up a good chunk of my day.

I have two dogs, one is 6 the other is 4. I have had them their whole life. I had more money when I got them, I was also married to someone else and was financially stable. I do NOT feel it is right that I just give my dogs to someone else to take care of because I am trying to go to school to better myself. My dogs do not suffer because I am poor right now, nor will they ever.

A divorce and a 1000 mile move is what landed me in the financial position I am in currently. I made the choice to go back to school to finish my degree and perhaps advance my career. Because I have tattoos and bad credit (bankruptcy thanks to the divorce) it is hard for me to get a job in my field (accounting) so when I moved and got frustrated being unemployed for so long, not to mention the job market here is terrible, I made the choice to follow my dreams and write for a living. I do OK. Not well, but OK. I do get the bills paid that need to be paid and I am not to proud to ask for help where I need it.

Having $200 a month for food was extremely helpful, especially when I was in school for the semester and could not work as much as I am able in the summer. It was also helpful when business was slow.

Maybe their are some that don't need it and they get it anyway. I am already down to the bare minimum in life and I still needed a bit of help.

Can I survive without food assistance? I am sure I can. Or at least I am going to die trying.
  • IrishChik
    Literally just opened Yahoo! and saw this article. Hope it helps!

http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/408/12-things-college-students-dont-need/

1. New Textbooks.

I don't buy anything new! These last few semesters I have actually rented textbooks. Even buying used and then selling them back is not as cheap as just renting them.

2. High End Lap Top or Desk Top Computer

I don't have a laptop personally, although he does and he had that long before he got laid off, got divorced, and decided to go back to school. Its old. He has a desktop, its old and built piece by piece. My netbook was bought at an outlet for literally $100 so I can work/do homework wherever. My desktop is one I had for about 5 years now.

3. A printer

Both of our printers were freebies given away on freecycle. The only thing we use them for is once in a while we make a copy of a photo and sometimes I have to print off guidelines for clients. I keep them in a binder for easy access.

4. A pricey smart phone plan.

He has it, but its paid for through his employer. I don't. I am prepaid.

5. Cable Tv.

We do have right now. We just got our bill caught up and we are tied in to a 2yr contract that also includes our internet and land line. We have learned for $130 we can get out of our contract and have been seeking out other options.

6. A car.

Where I live you have to have a car. I live in the middle of nowhere. Our cars are paid for so all I pay is insurance.

7. A credit card.

I have one, for ER only. He has some that he got long before he knew me.

8. High bank fees.

We both have free checking through a local bank, there are no fees for us.

9. Overdraft protection

I don't have this.

10. A big meal plan.

I dont live on campus so this does not apply to me.

11. Campus health insurance

Again, I am not a traditional student. I dont live on campus. I do not even have health insurance.

12. Private Loans.

My loans are through the department of education. I don't qualify for many of the scholarships based on my age and that I am an online student.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    I so admire your focus, you are making do under difficult circumstances.

The only thing I have to add is that butchers at our nearby supermarket auction meat on Sunday nights to get rid of it and a market not far away sells all the fruit/vegs for $5 a box (mixed, sometimes a few surprises) on Sunday afternoons. But I'm sure you have sourced all those opportunites near you.

I bake muffins once a week for lunches, and roast a cheap cut of meat for sandwiches on the weekends. Sounds like I need to get me a freezer, everyone's ideas are really motivating me! This week I added cheap vegies to a stew that made it last a day longer, which pleased me no end.

GG
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    https://www.angelfoodministries.com/

Here is a website. They offer lots of food for very little prices. It looks like you guys are budgeting pretty good. This is just one way to assist, the food is healthy and is designed to feed a family of four. For my husband and I one of their 'signature boxes' lasts us two weeks roughly. Spending $80 with them would be very similar to spending $80 at the OK store. So hopefully theres a sponsor near you so you may use them.
    And despite the name and the fact that the host sites are usually a church, you do not need to be a member of the church, go to church or any of that and they do not push religion on you. Its there if you wish to participate, but its a program designed to help people in your situation.
  • IrishChik
    https://www.angelfoodministries.com/

Here is a website. They offer lots of food for very little prices. It looks like you guys are budgeting pretty good. This is just one way to assist, the food is healthy and is designed to feed a family of four. For my husband and I one of their 'signature boxes' lasts us two weeks roughly. Spending $80 with them would be very similar to spending $80 at the OK store. So hopefully theres a sponsor near you so you may use them.
    And despite the name and the fact that the host sites are usually a church, you do not need to be a member of the church, go to church or any of that and they do not push religion on you. Its there if you wish to participate, but its a program designed to help people in your situation.

I wonder if the price is different for regions? My church does offer the Angel Ministry Box of food. Church always advertises the price around $50. I have yet to buy one, but it is very well going to be an option now. They also have a coupon swap. On the website you listed I see a bunch of different prices. Seems like a very good deal. Thank you for letting me know they had a website.
  • brattyworm
    price may vary for different regions but shouldn't be by much if they do. usually the signature boxes run about $30. i like to get the fruit box too. and sometimes the meat ones to put in the freezer. hope it helps you. it makes a huge difference in our grocery bill, especially when my teenage stepdaughter visits.
  • Kpatty
    Kpatty Posts: 41
    Hi. Sorry you're having a hard time. I have a family of 4 and we spend around $400 (or less) a month (including diapers and occasional eating out). I recommend couponmom.com (she has great tips for your state and a video that helps get the concept of saving money. I save about 1/3 of my total grocery bill by getting on sale items and using coupons and store promotions.) Eating leftovers, buying from your local Farmer's Markets, and utilizing Feeding America Food Banks (a healthier variety of foods) could help cut any costs.

I know you can overcome this obstacle and learn tons to share with others! <3
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Costco, Sam's club and BJ's are helpful when buying in bulk. They have good prices on meats, fresh fruit and vegies, and bread. As long as you have room to freeze stuff the frozen section is great too. They also take coupons. I am not sure about Costco and Sam's, but BJ's also puts out coupons and will accept the BJ's coupon and manufacturer coupon on the same item.
  • brattyworm
    Costco does coupons, but they have to be Costco coupons which they send out every six weeks or so if you're on their mailing list. i actually have two grocery lists. One for Costco items and one for commissary items. Occasionally I'll buy from Safeway but that's an exception not a usual.
This discussion has been closed.