Advice on cutting!

Options
Hi guys and girls,

I have been strength training now for around 10 months and while I have noticed an increase in muscle and have sculpted my body slightly, I still have quite a high volume of body fat (or at least I look like I do.)

I eat at a deficit (1600/1700) a day, my protein intake is always in the 100's as are my carbs. I eat relatively healthy with the odd treat and strength train 3x a week and I lift quite heavy too.

I'm looking for some advice on if there is anything I should be doing differently or should I just stick with what I am doing?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    In general, it looks like you're doing what most people should do to lose fat. That said, we are all different. Here are a few things that you can consider and let trial and error drive what you use as a go forward strategy:
    - Introduce HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training).
    - Cycle in a weight lifting with higher rep, shorter rest at about 50 - 70% of 1RM for 6 - 8 weeks.
    - Adjust macros (lower carb, higher fat, same protein)
    - Intermittent Fasting or six small meals (find which eating approach works best for your hormone patterns)
    - Increase your daily activity (e.g., park further from the door, walk more, stand more, grease the grove, etc.)
    - Thermogenesis
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking of adjusting my macros for a while, lower carbs makes me sad but if it helps I will definitely give it a try.

I have a step machine at home that I use a few times a week or whenever I feel like it but will mix it up with some HIIT.

Thank you Allan :) I'll try a few different things out and see how I go.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Tagging because I need the same kind of advice; I'm hitting about the same problem right now :cry:
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I think you should just keep doing what you are doing untill you hit a plateau.
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    The best way to burn body fat is to build muscle, I would say use a structured routine such as 5/3/1
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/hardcore-look-at-jim-wendlers-5-3-1-powerlifting-system.html
    Your calories etc are fine for cutting but once you hit goal you should start reversing and focus on building some muscle, with the strength gains, heavier weights and increased calories your body will look and feel even more awesome :). Hope this helps, any questions PM me
  • MrsBobaFett
    Options
    I think you should just keep doing what you are doing untill you hit a plateau.

I have hit a plateau, I managed to gain 4lb while eating at a deficit, and I've lost 2lbs of that recently.

I'm going to ask if I can have my body fat measured at my gym when I go next, that way I know exactly what I am dealing with.

• MrsBobaFett
    Options
    Thankings Jamie, will have a read now! I can't wait until I am at maintenance!
  • xRiverX
    xRiverX Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Mrs bobafett (cool name)

I recommend intermittent fasting(16/8) and do interval training especially if you have stuborn belly fat. also get a Pilates dvd "Pilates for beginners" by Tracy Thompson.

compound weights if you want more muscle.

Calorie deficit looks about right if not cut it by 150cals a day lbs=g of protein
  • MrsBobaFett
    Options
    Mrs bobafett (cool name)

I recommend intermittent fasting(16/8) and do interval training especially if you have stuborn belly fat. also get a Pilates dvd "Pilates for beginners" by Tracy Thompson.

Calorie deficit looks about right if not cut it by 150cals a day lbs=g of protein

Thank you Riverwiz,

I concentrate on lifting compound weights, deadlifts, squats, chest press, I haven't done overhead press since I joined my gym but will include that in my routine. It's my belly where I have the most stubborn fat, I always have even before I had my son, I will definitely include some HIIT (Hate cardio)
  • 2spamagnet
    2spamagnet Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Do you have a body fat monitor of some sort? It would be good to know where your %fat is - to check your perception of your image. (You specifically mentioned your perception, and we can be our own worst critics and see things that are not there).

Am I to understand that you are running a 100 calorie deficit? When 1 lb of fat is ~ 3500 stored calories, it would take 35 days to lose 1 lb of fat. If you have been losing weight and have tapered off, first go to your Goals tab and check in on those numbers. They may be a little off.

Then bump your goal to 0.5 lb a week. That will be 250 calories a day deficit, and will get you better results. For your activity level and diet habits, you should not have any problem losing fat rather than muscle.

Also consider your weekly calorie totals. As Allan suggested, fasting/skipping a meal once or twice a week can give you a great bump toward coming in under your goals. For example, (this works for me) if you sleep in one day on a day off, get busy with some chores when you get up (rather than eat), eat a late breakfast of 3 eggs, 2 bacon, 1 toast & jam (only 600 to 700 cal!), skip lunch, and have a reasonable dinner, you could well exceed your daily deficit goal, AND make up for going over the day before (or to prep for your indulgence tomorrow, or to offset some drinks).
  • specialimpulse
    Options
    If I were you I would cut the carbs were I could and eat just a few carbs and mainly protein and vegetables. You will get a few carbs with some of your vegetables, like peas. I am just starting out to lose weight and am on a fast with green tea and grapefruit. I've lost 2 lbs and am praying that I will lose more, need lots of support.
  • AdrianBry
    AdrianBry Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    lower your overall calories (doesn't matter about macros) for losing more fat but first i would try adding more intense intervals for 1-2 times per day 20-to-40 mintues 3-4 days per week.

here's an example workout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wi6kARs7Us
  • MrsBobaFett
    Options
    Thanks 2spamagnet

I'm not sure of my body fat percentage, the only time I ever have it measure is on a machine but I have been told they can be incredibly inaccurate. Last time I had it measured on a machine was last week and it said that my body fat percentage is 27.5.

I'm not willing to cut out carbs completely, I managed to lose 17lbs without cutting them out and I'm not going to start now lol!

At the moment I am eating at a deficit of 250-300 calories, eat pretty healthily with the odd treat :)
  • MrsBobaFett
    Options
    lower your overall calories (doesn't matter about macros) for losing more fat but first i would try adding more intense intervals for 1-2 times per day 20-to-40 mintues 3-4 days per week.

here's an example workout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wi6kARs7Us

Thank you Adrian, will give that a go when I get to the gym :)
  • xRiverX
    xRiverX Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Mrs bobafett (cool name)

Thank you Riverwiz,

I concentrate on lifting compound weights, deadlifts, squats, chest press, I haven't done overhead press since I joined my gym but will include that in my routine. It's my belly where I have the most stubborn fat, I always have even before I had my son, I will definitely include some HIIT (Hate cardio)

Cardio I only do low intensity (fat burn) there are charts on the machine for your age etc its all to do with heart rate (Mine is125-135 bpm) do 40 mins then hit the weights but imho I dont lift anymore and get lean muscle from "I.F" Boxing,swimming,calisthenics and Interval running on country walks with runkeeper.

Imo lifting never worked for me and I did it for 12 months plus with bodybuilders some natural but most not.
    Im 152lbs maintaining 5ft 7in and 42yo and I havent looked and felt this good since I was 20yo. when I lifted(in my 30s) I was quite big for my height but felt fat and about a good 3inches of belly fat I couldnt get rid of untill I changed my diet and training and went back to basics,my martial arts roots of training.

10 months I would say gets you so far ie hitting a plateau,I was told you can hit plateaus every 2-3 months and thats why I blow the hell out and eat way beyond my means and rest training for about a good 4 days.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I thought you were asking about the OTHER kind of cutting. Sorry !
  • MrsBobaFett
    Options
    I thought you were asking about the OTHER kind of cutting. Sorry !

I was waiting for someone to write this :laugh:
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Hi guys and girls,

I have been strength training now for around 10 months and while I have noticed an increase in muscle and have sculpted my body slightly, I still have quite a high volume of body fat (or at least I look like I do.)

I eat at a deficit (1600/1700) a day, my protein intake is always in the 100's as are my carbs. I eat relatively healthy with the odd treat and strength train 3x a week and I lift quite heavy too.

I'm looking for some advice on if there is anything I should be doing differently or should I just stick with what I am doing?

Thanks in advance!

If your looking for cutting, decrease carbs, increase protein(to help with muscle loss), increase fat( to help with muscle building). I can give you a guideline for your weight if you want, just PM me with the #'s.

That being said, lowering your carbs can have a energy draining effect on your body. It can be very tough when your doing it for months. Sometimes I refeed my carbs as I do lots of running and it hard to keep my times low when I am cutting.

One thing that works for me is changing up my calorie intake. You want to watch to up or lower by 100cal every couple weeks just so you don't shock your metabolism. I also change up some cardio cross training.

Regardless what you do, make sure you get your rest. It is very important.
  • MrsBobaFett
    Options
    Hi guys and girls,

Thanks in advance!

If your looking for cutting, decrease carbs, increase protein(to help with muscle loss), increase fat( to help with muscle building). I can give you a guideline for your weight if you want, just PM me with the #'s.

That being said, lowering your carbs can have a energy draining effect on your body. It can be very tough when your doing it for months. Sometimes I refeed my carbs as I do lots of running and it hard to keep my times low when I am cutting.

One thing that works for me is changing up my calorie intake. You want to watch to up or lower by 100cal every couple weeks just so you don't shock your metabolism. I also change up some cardio cross training.

Regardless what you do, make sure you get your rest. It is very important.

Thanks Chieflrg

I don't mind sharing my stats publicly,

I'm 5'1.8
    I weigh 9st 6lbs (was 9st 4)

My precious carbs lol! Saying that the carbs I eat usually come from wholemeal foods, bread, rice. and I occasionally have white pasta and noodles but not often.
  • 2spamagnet
    2spamagnet Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm doubtful that my scale with body fat % is perfect, but I can use it to track ups and downs over time. Carbs are a good thing - your body uses them for energy. Too few and I feel sluggish, too many and they get stored as fat. I definitely notice a difference on days when I am low on carbs and go running.

I think you are doing fine. Recheck your goals, and be conservative with portions when you report - if you report more than you actually had, all the better. But it's easy to under report things, and the added calories add up and creep into your deficit, stalling out progress.

Robert