To the Germ-a-Phobics...What drives you crazy

Options
TemikaThompson
TemikaThompson Posts: 222 Member
I just hosted a sleepover so that is what made me think of this topic. It was all boys and I’m sure you can imagine the rest. I covered my sofas with sheets and towels and used Lysol spray after they went to the bathrooms on the knobs and surfaces in the bathroom lol. I asked one of the boys did he wash his hands and he said yes, but I didn't hear any water. So of course I told him to go back lol. He chuckled and did so. After they went home, I bleached all the walls that I thought they touched and took all the towels and sheets and threw them in the wash.

Yes, I'm a germ-a-phobic. To some I'm extreme to others I'm not. I just like things to be clean. I only did this with the boys because I know the things they touch and with all the coughing and sneezing and there is only so much you can correct in a child in one day so I just let them be boys.

On a regular I guess I do things like:
make everyone in the house wash their hands upon entry
Never took the fridge or go inside without washing hands
flush toilet with lid closed so bacteria won't go in air
I watch the waitress hands so they don't go in my plate
When getting a cone I won't accept one that was placed on a counter top, but I request them to hand it to me instead
I clean my cell phone with alcohol
I use sanitizer wipes for restaurant tables
If I see someone sneeze I walk in a dif direction
When cooking, I wash my hands several times between touching the meat and other surfaces so bacteria doesn't get on surfaces or seasonings from the meat
I can't remember everything and to me these things are normal but maybe not to most, idk

I know that I can't avoid germs because they are everywhere, but with me it's what I do see and what I do know about.

QUES: What are some things that you do that are over the top or what others say makes you OCD

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Um..
    blankstare-CtA.gif
  • Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    ^^^ lol ...this
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Bleaching the walls after a sleep over and washing hands before going in the fridge seems kinda wacky. Everything else sounds kinda normal. Kinda.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    have you talked to a professional about your condition?
  • cstoney2013
    cstoney2013 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are married. How did you ever get past the germs to kiss? haha
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I've been asked to remove shoes before entering people's houses. I have never been asked to wash my hands though :huh:
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    How exactly does one bleach walls?
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    The only thing that you do that I do is wash my hands after the bathroom (of course) and after touching raw meat.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Options

Open cupboard, select bleach, open bleach, select cloth, pour bleach on cloth, apply to wall, rub wall, rinse & repeat :bigsmile:
  • TemikaThompson
    Options
    LOL I knowwwwwwwwwww...
    I think it came from me doing home care at this lady's house that made me do these things. She drove me crazy. It became a habit after so many years. I know I prob drive my hubby crazy and my kids say it drives them crazy lol. I only bleached the walls because they had really dirty finger prints on them from them playing outside. I took a spray bottle and mixed it with water. I only did the areas that had dirt on them.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Open cupboard, select bleach, open bleach, select cloth, pour bleach on cloth, apply to wall, rub wall, rinse & repeat :bigsmile:

That's gross to me... The smell of bleach is nauseating. :sick:
  • TemikaThompson
    Options
    All germs don't drive me crazy, just the ones that I have to touch I guess. Kissing is no problem with me.
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options

Won't the paint come off or bleach absorb into wall paper? First time I'm hearing about someone doing it :noway:
  • TemikaThompson
    Options
    I think you should wash your hands before going in the fridge because you are more than likely going to touch food that is in the fridge. To make things easier, I just say wash hands when you come in the house, that way whatever you touched doesn't touch the fridge or the food (like bread) incase you forget to wash right before you make food or eat. This was picked up from a client.
  • TemikaThompson
    Options
    Paint does not come off and I don't use wall paper. Bleach kills germs
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Please stop it. You will drive the people that know you insane and there is no need for it. You may think it's cute/funny but it's no fun to others. No need to do this. STOP ok?
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    some of what you do sounds weird but I also have an issue with germs. I use a lot of hand sanitizer. I don't like touching things that other people have touched - I am very weirded out by door handles, gas pumps, counters, salt & pepper shakers/condiments at restaurants, etc. my house can get cluttered sometimes (I think mostly because of the size, it's a studio so even a little bit of stuff out seems to take over the space), but it's not dirty ever. do you get stressed out if you can't follow your normal cleanliness practices?
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Options

Won't the paint come off or bleach absorb into wall paper? First time I'm hearing about someone doing it :noway:

Personally I don't do it, but I did get the recommendation from the council guy who came out to assess the rising damp in my house. He said to use bleach to combat the mould. Total balls, bleach does not inhibit mould growth. He also suggested we had condensation due to the dog breathing 4x's more than a person :laugh: Fortunately I didn't tell him about the 2 hamsters...
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I am pretty OCD about the whole cleanliness thing after I worked at the hospital and went to this seminar. It was some blokes who had done a TV show recently about hygiene in home....they filled a toilet with some ultraviolet substance and flushed the toilet with the lid open.....lets just says I don't keep my tooth brush in the bathroom anymore!

I now work in a lab working with blood and tumour etc so though I have to wash my hands alot. It doesn't help tbh and it has made me super paranoid....I now have horrible dry hands....not pleasant.
  • TemikaThompson
    Options
    some of what you do sounds weird but I also have an issue with germs. I use a lot of hand sanitizer. I don't like touching things that other people have touched - I am very weirded out by door handles, gas pumps, counters, salt & pepper shakers/condiments at restaurants, etc. my house can get cluttered sometimes (I think mostly because of the size, it's a studio so even a little bit of stuff out seems to take over the space), but it's not dirty ever. do you get stressed out if you can't follow your normal cleanliness practices?

Yes I do get stressed out if I can't follow my normal cleanliness practices