Healthy Pizza

Options
Anyone have any healthy pizza recipes. What salads do you eat?

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I really like Papa John's pizza. I don't ever want to eat something that is not really pizza. When I have it now, I work it into my calories for the week & only eat 2 - 3 pieces. Bonus - I love veggies on the pizza.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I really like Papa John's pizza. I don't ever want to eat something that is not really pizza. When I have it now, I work it into my calories for the week & only eat 2 - 3 pieces. Bonus - I love veggies on the pizza.

Ditto. It's not THAT bad for pizza, honestly. And I can easily fit two large slices in a day, just got to make room for it.

I do like English muffin pizzas too (just an English muffin sliced in two with pizza sauce and shredded mozarella) but it's not pizza.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

Ditto. It's not THAT bad for pizza, honestly. And I can easily fit two large slices in a day, just got to make room for it.

I do like English muffin pizzas too (just an English muffin sliced in two with pizza sauce and shredded mozarella) but it's not pizza.
    No Papa John's here. :sad: But we have Dominoes and Panago and lots of little local places. All healthy. Yum. Especially with ham wnd pineapple, black olives, capicola, roasted garlic and extra cheese. :love:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I prefer to make my own as I can control the quality of the ingredients and also get a very accurate calorie count on it.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone else I want a good pizza, we have a local pizza place that has been serving out the Best pizza in town since 1977 and it is our normal stop... (Was there last night a matter a fact) You can make pizza at home with flatout wraps and sauce and cheese and veggies and whatnot and it is ok but I prefer the real thing.... Best of Luck....
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    When buying, I like Papa Murphy's.

But for homemade I use a pizza dough recipe from the Brooklyn Cookbook, but pretty much any recipe will be similar. It should only include yeast, flour, water, a little salt, and a little olive oil. I use a three cheese pomodoro sauce from a Trader Joe's, then add mozzarella, pepperoni, olives, mushrooms, and bell pepper. It's not unhealthy.
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any healthy pizza recipes. What salads do you eat?

What is unhealthy about pizza?
  • susieoj
    susieoj Posts: 181
    Options
    I agree with the preferring to make your own, I make a mean pizza dough and so I prefer to eat the pizza I make at home anyway, I think dominos uses kinda cruddy ingredients, but that's just a preference thing, either way you can fit pizza into any diet, just leave room. As for lower calorie/ carb pizza, I actually like cauliflower pizza, it's not pizza but the way I make it, it is a yummy dinner option that reminds me of pizza. There are lots of recipes for it online and you can add whatever toppings you want.
  • rtwa33
    rtwa33 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So it is not exactly pizza, but I take a whole wheat tortilla, top with some no salt tomato sauce and add spices like basil, oregano, and crushed red pepper, and then top it with some shredded mozzarella or even better, Provel cheese. A little goes a long way. Bake it in my toaster oven until the cheese is melted. Cheese won't really have time to brown before the tortilla is crispy, but the whole thing comes to about 250 calories and does get me over the pizza desire.
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    I love takeaway pizza from pizza hut or papa johns. When I buy them from the supermarket I like the pizza express ones. They are good quality and depending on the toppings not bad at all calorie wise. My favourite one Giardiniera is under 500 calories for the whole pizza.

I make my own too. It's good to control the toppings and I can decide how much cheese etc I want based on how many cals I have left. One of favourites is pitta bread pizza.
  • spookiefox
    Options

Papa John's pizza isn't bad. Not fond of John's stand on health care for his employees. I don't see pizza as unhealthy, but not having access to health care certainly is.

I really like Casey's Pizza, though it's a midwestern thing. Also I find locally owned places often have the best pizza.

And I share your aversion to what is not really pizza. All these things with cauliflower for crust and such nonsense hold no appeal at all. I'll pass. Life is too short to make faux pizza with cauliflower for crust.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I prefer to make my own as I can control the quality of the ingredients and also get a very accurate calorie count on it.

This.

I make mine mine like this

1 tsp yeast
    1 TB honey
    Warm water (enough to dissolve the yeast and honey. 1/4-1/2 cup i guess)

Let that mix sit for 20 minutes.

Add
    3/4 cup flour.
    Seasoning if desired

Form dough ball.

Rub bowl with olive oil, put dough inside. Cover with towel. Let rise 30-45 minutes. Roll out. Sauce, toppings, bake, (400, 13-15 minutes) PIZZA
  • jujaws
    jujaws Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My mom actually just sent me this the other day..I didn't try it out at all. http://sweetestdelicacy.com/2013/07/24/tortilla-pizza/
  • spookiefox
    Options
    So it is not exactly pizza, but I take a whole wheat tortilla, top with some no salt tomato sauce and add spices like basil, oregano, and crushed red pepper, and then top it with some shredded mozzarella or even better, Provel cheese. A little goes a long way. Bake it in my toaster oven until the cheese is melted. Cheese won't really have time to brown before the tortilla is crispy, but the whole thing comes to about 250 calories and does get me over the pizza desire.

Wouldn't get me "over the pizza desire." Just sayin'
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

Papa John's pizza isn't bad. Not fond of John's stand on health care for his employees. I don't see pizza as unhealthy, but not having access to health care certainly is.

I really like Casey's Pizza, though it's a midwestern thing. Also I find locally owned places often have the best pizza.

And I share your aversion to what is not really pizza. All these things with cauliflower for crust and such nonsense hold no appeal at all. I'll pass. Life is too short to make faux pizza with cauliflower for crust.

I also share your views on his stance on health care for employees. We also patronize Pizza Hut. We usually go there, but the grandkids love Papa John's. I enjoy making my own pizzas too. We love replacing the tomato sauce with basil pesto and then covering it with veggies and cheese. YUMMY~
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

This.

I make mine mine like this

1 tsp yeast
    1 TB honey
    Warm water (enough to dissolve the yeast and honey. 1/4-1/2 cup i guess)

Let that mix sit for 20 minutes.

Add
    3/4 cup flour.
    Seasoning if desired

Form dough ball.

Rub bowl with olive oil, put dough inside. Cover with towel. Let rise 30-45 minutes. Roll out. Sauce, toppings, bake, (400, 13-15 minutes) PIZZA

Yes yes I think I am going to try this tomorrow for football Sunday. :D
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

my favorite pizza places are employee owned. cheeseboard: http://cheeseboardcollective.coop/pizza and zachary's: http://www.zacharys.com/index.html I usually end up with another local place because it's cheaper (although from what I hear their benefits are also good), but the coops here are awesome and I like patronizing them.
  • whierd
    Options
    Pizza dough:

1 1/4 cups lukewarm water (300 ml)
    1/2 tsp sugar (2 g)
    2 tsp instant, dry yeast (10 g)
    2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (30 ml)
    1/2 cup semolina flour (100 g)
    3 1/4 cups bread flour (400 g)
    2 tsp sea salt (10 g)

Dissolve the sugar in the water and then add the yeast and stir. Then add in the olive oil and salt. Then add half of both flours slowly, stirring it in. Then add the remaining flour, knead for 5 minutes, then portion it how you wish.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I make my own pizza. Either I buy the dough from Earth Fare or I make it in the bread machine.

I then do a garlic and olive oil base (I can't have tomatoes), real shredded mozzarella, lots of vegetables, some fresh basil, and maybe some chicken or chicken sausage. Might even throw some feta on there. So good!
  • whierd
    Options
    I make my own pizza. Either I buy the dough from Earth Fare or I make it in the bread machine.

I then do a garlic and olive oil base (I can't have tomatoes), real shredded mozzarella, lots of vegetables, some fresh basil, and maybe some chicken or chicken sausage. Might even throw some feta on there. So good!

Try brushing on your garlic-infused olive oil on the dough, adding your mozzarella, then after it is done, squeezing some fresh lemon juice over it and adding a drizzle of olive oil. Mouthgasm.