In defense of the cheat meal

Options

Replies

• ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    What's worked for me is having my "splurges" take place on my long run (10+miles) days. On those days, if I've had a craving for homemade ice cream, brownies, or whatever, I go ahead and treat myself. Yes, I still try to keep sane portion sizes, but I can eat it without an ounce of guilt afterwords. I think instead of labeling foods as good or bad or as a cheat, you look at in terms of foods that should be enjoyed daily for optimum health (fresh fruits and veggies, etc.) and foods that can be enjoyed, but on a less frequent basis (cake, ice cream, all that good stuff). No need to modify your diet the rest of the week, either. If you allow yourself to splurge you're far less likely to sit around and fantasize about "forbidden" foods. Life's too short to not to indulge every now and then. As long as it doesn't turn into something that gets you into bad habits, no harm done.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    To me is a no log day! I eat as I want, no counting, no timing, no measuring! Takes some stress out!
    Today im going to Dennys for BF... French toast here I come!!!
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the folks saying that it's probably the word "cheat" that riles some people up. I never thought of it that way, because I don't think of it as cheating in the true sense of that word. I'm staying at or under my calories for the week, I still log everything, and when in doubt, always over estimate food calories and under estimate exercise burn calories.

Honestly, I call it "cheat" because that's the term I heard the concept called when I was first introduced to it, so it just stuck. I didn't give the connotation of the word any thought at all. Until this post. Interesting!

Here's an idea: let's rebrand it as the "rainy day treat" day or meal, since at the core of it the concept is to save calories to spend them later, just like saving money for a rainy day.
  • louisegibbs85
    louisegibbs85 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day every week , I lose more than when I did without one, but each to their own and if my body feels like losing more after some chips and cake .... I ain't guna argue with it! :tongue: :drinker:
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I thought this might be apropos for this thread:

http://impruvism.com/flexible-dieting-basics/
  • melham
    Options
    I thought this might be apropos for this thread:

http://impruvism.com/flexible-dieting-basics/
    Thanks for the link! Good stuff!
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    bahhh cheat days. a misleading title. it's an i am going to eat whatever the hell i want day, because i can. nuff said.
    today i had pancakes with pb, syrup and bananas. om nom nom CARBS :drinker:
  • kanuckkim74
    Options
    Although I don't agree with the term cheat day lol as it implies I'm doing something wrong, I do agree with a higher calorie day once in awhile. Life happens and I roll with it, when pizza is involved especially lol as long as your committed to a healthy lifestyle then there is no problem with it ????
  • gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I just incorporate the food I love into my diet.

If I want some cake, I'll fit it into my calories.

If someone gets me pizza, I can eat light tomorrow to compensate.
  • goodnamegone
    Options
    I am a firm believer of saving a few calories every day so I can have a treat at least once a week. It keeps me on track and curbs cravings before they're out of control. My cheat day is normally Saturday, and I am having cheesecake for dessert tonight. Love me some cheat day. :drinker:

ETA: I posted this in Maintaining Weight because I am in maintenance. I also lost the weight using the cheat meal strategy, FWIW.

Where is the cheating? You are SAVING a few calories every day. That's not a cheat meal. That's using up calories you saved. Why would anyone have a problem with you doing that?
  • rlp2891
    rlp2891 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't really see budgeting your calories so that you can eat a food you enjoy as "cheating." Many people I know will consider a cheat day to be not worrying at all about what they eat for the day, and often end up eating as much junk as possible because they "can," rather than just eating a larger meal or treat. I think that's the danger in cheat days that so many people are wary of.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I have not seen anything on this plan that I/you cannot have. Count it and move on. If I have something that I use to eat a lot of, frequently, Chinese food, I don't eat nearly as much, and I don't like the way I feel after. Physically, not emotionally. If you are going to a party, or a wedding (is worse because of the time between when you leave home, and it is time to eat), eat something before you leave. That way you are not ravenous and willing to eat anything and everything in site. Have a slice of wedding cake. Not a plate of wedding cake.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Slow claps, guys. Cheat meals maintain my sanity.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Lots of "cheaters" here eating ice cream, pizza, and sweets...AND...lots of weight loss evident (just look at those tickers!). I prefer to call it "splurging" but it's the same thing. Love it!
  • melham
    Options
    some days you just gotta have the extra slice of pizza, or cake, or icecream....damn it...where's the icecream......
    I ate it :bigsmile:
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Planning in advance and saving calories for a treat now and then doesn't seem like a 'cheat' to me at all.
    Just sounds like a plan to keep yourself happy and on track.

This.

It can't be a "cheat" day if you've planned it and saved calories for it. Cheat day for me implies going over your calories and not balancing it out. Just straight indulging and being over your calories.

The other descriptions just sounds like calorie zig-zagging which seems logical to me. Cheat implies something bad for me.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I think that if a person has a special occasion or a night out once in a while, fine. But people having a whole entire cheat day every week just because, you're sabotaging your good habits. It takes time to break bad eating habits and build new, healthy ones. Binge eating or planned overeating once a week just doesn't seem like a good idea. Just my opinion, take or leave. :o)

I agree with this. I have what some might call "cheat moments" several times per week. I usually call it dessert. Yesterday it was a Cadbury "screme" egg. A couple of times a month I have a "cheat meal" like a fish sandwich and fries at Culver's or pizza and custard on the same Saturday (within my calories and overshooting my fat, sodium, and/or sugar macros)

What other people eat is none of my business, and I don't give it a ton of time or thought. However, I've seen others here do a weekly cheat day where they go nuts on 4,000 or so calories of fried food, sweets, and/or alcohol. That kind of binge (and I use the term loosely, not to be confused with EDs) was never a part of my life pre-MFP and it won't be now. Some of these people are still losing, so obviously it's not a problem for them. But that is not my type of "cheat meal/day".
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Portion Control and Moderation is key. If you follow this, you can pretty much eat what and when you want so you don't have to worry about have a designated day to eat your favourite food pleasures.
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    Whatever gets the ****ing job done!! :smokin:

Just this.

It is not more complicated than this.
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you and ignore the advice which does not work for you.