The plight of the plateau

Options
13»

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    In other words - too big of a deficit will stop your progress.

It would be wonderful if that were true, because then there would be a solution for all those people ( right now mostly in Africa ) to not starve to death and save their lives. If that were true than people would just stop losing weight and their organ function would not collapse and they would not die from lack of food. People will lose on any kind of deficit until there is nothing to lose anymore. If the deficit is reasonable it will take a very long time and if it is a big deficit it will take only a few month. In Africa a person dies every 48 seconds from starvation, which is a strong word for " caloric deficit ". If there is a calorie deficit there is weight loss. Period.

im sorry, but I do not consider losing everything until you die to be progress. I think that progress stopped long before any of those issues. Like when the deficit got too big.

But if you consider death and starvation in Africa to be 'progress' then no, i guess it doesnt stop with 4000 calorie daily deficit.

I didnt say that you wont lose weight on a deep deficit. I said your progress will stall...

you know what?

It doesnt matter. I had coffee, a burger, some spaghetti, a big glass of whole milk and a cigarette today. I haveno reservations about running out on the beach in a tiny bikini and tomorrow morning im deadlifting 205 pounds. Im happy and healthy and I understand why.
  • yoovie
    Options
    when I wasnt eating enough calories I stopped losing weight too...eat more calories to lose..change up your exercise

It is not possible to lose more by eating more, unless one adds a heck of a lot of exercise and does not eat back the calories.
    I am sorry, but I would like to slap the person who came up with " eat more to lose more " upside the head about a dozen times a day since I have joined MFP.

It works for so many people. just because it didnt work for you doesnt mean you should threaten violence and be so upset about it :frown:
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Each person should do what works for them. A lot of us are eating more and still losing weight, so YTH will we eat less and not lose any weight? It does not make any sense. The OP is anyway in a plateau and i dont think can reduce calories further, so why not try this? Who is it harming?
    I never ate less(ate more always, no wonder i gained weight), but after the birth of my child, i gave up a lot of food due to some of her allergies, mind you it was only for a period of 4 months, but i felt so deprived that when i was allowed to eat, i ate tons of food, whatever i could lay my hands on and also gained weight a lot faster than i would like to believe.
    Plus i Love food, if OP can cheat and eat 4000 calories, i am betting she loves food too. So calculate your TDEE or set MFP to lose 1-2 lbs per week and follow that(eat exercise calories back with MFP(HRM calculated)). Try this for atleast a month, initially there will be some gain which would mainly be water weight.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I think the general consensus is not that she should decrease calories more, but that she should be a bit more diligent about logging so she has a better idea of how many calories she is actually eating. Also perhaps not thinking that the 3000 or so calorie surplus she's eating in one day isn't somehow going to affect her overall success.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I think the general consensus is not that she should decrease calories more, but that she should be a bit more diligent about logging so she has a better idea of how many calories she is actually eating. Also perhaps not thinking that the 3000 or so calorie surplus she's eating in one day isn't somehow going to affect her overall success.
    I would definitely agree with this.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I didnt say that you wont lose weight on a deep deficit. I said your progress will stall...

I'm going to need a translator for that statement...
  • redyfox
    Options
    Think positive thoughts, and eat right
  • yoovie
    Options

I'm going to need a translator for that statement...

No
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    To summarize, let's assume a person with a TDEE of 2000 calories.

Claim 1 - This person will lose weight (unhealthily, but loss nonetheless) if they eat 0 calories.
    Claim 2 - This same person may actually gain weight if they eat 800 calories
    Claim 3 - This same person will again lose weight at 1600 calories (TDEE - 20%)

So what exactly is the biological mechanism that can make a person gain weight in the magical range below TDEE-20% but above 0? That is an extraordinary proposition, it is not unreasonable to ask for some scientific evidence.

I think it's a language problem. "eat more to lose more" works if you gain energy and start being more active.

If you are eating so little that you lose muscle mass, and lose the will to move, you will become very very efficient with the calories that you do have.