Gotta Lose My Gut

Options
Ok im working my buns off here and I gotta lose this gut, the rest of my body is coming together nicely, but this gut of mine refuses to leave, my calories are ok., im upping the intensity in the gym, I have started adding more cardio in everyday(running and swimming) . I have also started a yoga class as well but this gut wont go away. Any advice?

Replies

• RaluKitty
    RaluKitty Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    "Abs are made in the kitchen"... The short story: what helps in losing more of the "stubborn" abdominal fat is giving up/reducing refined carbs and alcohol while still being on a reduced caloric intake.

I know half the MFP will jump on me that "you can't spot reduce"... But abdominal fat is a special kind of animal - if you can get an extra obvious one from consuming certain foods more (that's why there are "wheat bellies" and "beer bellies"), then what you eat definitely has an impact on getting rid of it - in addition to genetics and overall body fat reduction. I know that when I lay off the sugar and bread for a week, that's where I see it - less gut.

While reducing the fat, work on that core to show some muscle later :) I find planks and push-ups really help, and can be done anywhere anytime. When in the gym, heavy weight lifting (squats, deadlifts) also help more than any kind of crunches. Try to progressively increase the duration and difficulty of your planks over time - they are tougher than they seem.
  • Loasaur
    Loasaur Posts: 125
    Options
    I have the same problem. I've heard that cutting out excess salt & sugar can really help. I've never been able to do it though, I love my sugar & salt too much. :P
  • xsix
    xsix Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm Vegitarian and working on becoming Vegitarian Bulletproof/Paleo diet. I consume very little surgar and avoid bread, sugar and most salt like the plague. I do alot of Kettlebell work, but you are right I need to start planking more downward dog, extended downward dog, and plank give me alot of trouble in Yoga class.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I've heard that cutting out excess salt & sugar can really help. I've never been able to do it though, I love my sugar & salt too much. :P

No. You just have to eat at a calorie deficit and eventually they will go away (unless you have food intolerance issues, obviously).

I've lost 60 lbs and I still have too much fat in my midsection. Pretty much one of the last places to go (although I've already lost a whole lot there).
  • xsix
    Options
    This is true.....I have been hitting my calorie mark most of the time, I'm stuck at 200 pounds right now, but im hoping that im losing body fat at this time.
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    Same here, hoping it'll even out eventually!
  • JADEPH0EN1X
    JADEPH0EN1X Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I agree with cutting out the processed / refined carbs & the wheat / beer belly . My problem has always been my stomach ! Looking at me from the back I looked "normal " but when I turned to the side or front I looked 18 - yes 18 months pregnant with at least twins !! My problem was that I loved / was addicted to refined carbs but had an intolerance to it . since being on mfp I've been keeping my carbs to around 110/ 120 a day and my tummy has reduced drastically & I no longer have that horrid bloated feeling . I know it's that & not exercise as I can only do walking at the moment .
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost a single pound in 9 months while keeping to my usual 1500 calories a day which is irritating. My gut is the only thing left to go.
  • xsix
    Options
    Aww man, I have been trying to go all natural......maybe its time to think about using some supplements.........not a pound in 9 months?Has your overall bodyfat dropped at all?