Working out?

Options
I am new to MFP and am trying to learn as much as I can to realistically lose weight. So far I have only been counting calories and have not been working out. Right now I am eating about 1370 a day and not working out. Can I really lose weight this way? And as far as exercising, how often do i need to exercise and for how long to see steady results. I am hoping for at least 10lbs a month. I am 243lbs now.

Replies

• glamasjr
    glamasjr Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'll be sending you a friend request with a detailed message.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    What sort of results are you wanting to see from working out? That will determine the type of
    Workout and how often, but the main thing is to find something you like so you will stick with it. Exercise itself won't do much for actual weight loss, but it can give you more room to eat, help you maintain lean muscle mass while burning fat, and improve your overall health.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about diet. Eat less than you burn and you lose weight. Exercise has nothing to do with weight loss.

Exercise is about physical fitness.
  • kingneptune45
    kingneptune45 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with tigersword, that eating less than what your body burns daily is the key to weight loss but I caution you that by just losing weight without some sort of exercise plan may make the journey a little more difficult in the long run.
    Weight loss is all about diet. Eat less than you burn and you lose weight. Exercise has nothing to do with weight loss.

Exercise is about physical fitness.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to work out, but it helps avoiding muscle loss. Muscles burn more calories than fat, so it's nice not to lose them all (you typically lose muscle first when on a diet).

Plus you get to eat your exercise calories back... more food is good, lol. Even if you just go for walks, it's a start.