Have you BMI checked

Options
So some of you may remember me, I started this about 2 years ago and went away, came back left etc.....well a bit over 1 year ago, I was hypnotized to quit smoking.......and well it worked. So my hyptnotist is actually "the Fitness Hypnotist" So we did a trailer filming for Oprah on weight loss and during that filming he did a "REAL" BMI on me. I was shocked to heart him say that though I was 262 lbs, my BMI was 34.4. everywhere else based on weight and size it says 44.4. He mentioned that because I was a very muscular woman, that I am actually less fat then originally though. And he thought that I would be within "Normal" for me if I lost only 80 lbs, this would put my BMI at normal, (180 lbs goal) The remainder of my loss will then be the 20-30 lbs of additional muscle my body had to create to carry all this fat.

So I guess the message here is, if you can, go get an actual BMI reading, you may find that your expectations are not correct for you.......

Now....to get this damn 80 lbs OFF! :ohwell:

Replies

• FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I think your confusing BMI with body fat %. BMI is a basic calculation based on height & weight, nothing else, that's why it's not a very accurate way to determine your correct weight. On the other hand, checking your BF% gives you a more accurate determination of body composition, & therefore better to determine your proper weight.
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    I think your confusing BMI with body fat %. BMI is a basic calculation based on height & weight, nothing else, that's why it's not a very accurate way to determine your correct weight. On the other hand, checking your BF% gives you a more accurate determination of body composition, & therefore better to determine your proper weight.

What he said. :)