Final tuneup for my 5K

banks1850
banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
I'm actually gonna go for time today, I have measured out a 5K at work and going to run it during my lunch break (I bring my lunch anyway, so I can eat at my desk while working). Wish me luck. My goal for today is to run the 5K in 21 minutes even. If I can do that, it is a 7 minute mile, or for all you tred mill people out there, an average of 8.6 mph. That's a little higher then I'm used to. I usually average 22:30 minutes which is an 8.3 mph average. Sounds small, I know, but when you have been running at a certain pace for so long, adding 3/10's of a mph to it is hard.

My race is this saturday at 9:00 am, I'm nervous and excited all at the same time. I don't know what normal times are for the race, but I am hoping to set a good pace for the rest of my races this summer. (there is a whole YMCA series in the North Shore of Massachusetts that includes like 11 races, I want to run at least 5 of them this year, including a 5 mile and a 7 k. (4.3 miles), that will qualify as a finisher of the series.

Replies

• banks1850
    I'm actually gonna go for time today, I have measured out a 5K at work and going to run it during my lunch break (I bring my lunch anyway, so I can eat at my desk while working). Wish me luck. My goal for today is to run the 5K in 21 minutes even. If I can do that, it is a 7 minute mile, or for all you tred mill people out there, an average of 8.6 mph. That's a little higher then I'm used to. I usually average 22:30 minutes which is an 8.3 mph average. Sounds small, I know, but when you have been running at a certain pace for so long, adding 3/10's of a mph to it is hard.

My race is this saturday at 9:00 am, I'm nervous and excited all at the same time. I don't know what normal times are for the race, but I am hoping to set a good pace for the rest of my races this summer. (there is a whole YMCA series in the North Shore of Massachusetts that includes like 11 races, I want to run at least 5 of them this year, including a 5 mile and a 7 k. (4.3 miles), that will qualify as a finisher of the series.
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Good luck. Sounds like you have a good plan to get your time up there. Keep those butterflies working they will actually work in your favor on race day.

I'm really envious for you being able to run. Take care of those knees!
  • GIGINATOR
    GIGINATOR Posts: 355 Member
    Good luck, I'm impressed that you can run that fast!!! Maybe you could beat the Kenyans in the big races, Ha, Ha, Ha!!!
  • jpwarner
    jpwarner Posts: 194 Member
    Video,, we want video of you wining the big race. Good luck and good job.
  • banks1850
    VIDEO!!!!???? Ack, not sure I am confident enough in my body yet for that! :noway:

My wife said she was gonna go and watch though, so I'll definitely have some pictures. Maybe I'll have her take the vid camera too (gulp).

Bob, thanks for the comments, luckilly, I have a runners body (my detriment because I always loved football best), I had knee problems when I was about 15 so had both my knees surgically repaired and after that, they were stronger then normal knees so I have never had a problem since. My issue over the last 6 or 7 years has always been my lower back (which also is an issue for runners because of the high impact), but over the last 4 months one of my focus area's is core, and core tightens up all the small muscles that connect your spine and keep it nice and sturdy, and haven't had a single back issue since about February (Finally, back pain is the MOST annoying type, and I've had em all).
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Run Banks...Run
    You just keep running....don't you stop:laugh:
    Good luck on Sat.

I hope you bring your d o for the b o so your co workers don't have to suffer:wink:
  • Video,, we want video of you wining the big race. Good luck and good job.

lol :laugh:

Good luck Banks
  • Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    Good luck!
  • strongmom
    strongmom Posts: 72
    Oh my gosh! Great! I ran my first 5k last fall and I was so nervous my legs were shaking, but then the crowds were cheering along the route and it was so fun! Have a great time with it, and be proud that you can achieve such great times.
  • kak1018
    kak1018 Posts: 183 Member
    I am doing one on the 26th with two first timers, I took them on a practice run last night and they did awesome! Good luck too you, I am pretty confident you will make your time and then some!
  • banks1850
    OK here I go. BO or no BO! LOL!
    :frown:
  • icandoit
    OK here I go. BO or no BO! LOL!
    :frown:
    :laugh:
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Good luck!!!
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Go Steve Go!!! :drinker:
  • banks1850
    Whew! Rough, 21:53 today, but I hate this course, there is a giant hill I have to run up at the end, about 300 yards long, really kills my kick. Hoping that the course won't have that, I can probably shave 20 seconds off that time if it doesn't.
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Enjoy your race, we're all cheering for you!
  • icandoit
    Good job banks. You ROCK:drinker:
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Go Banks!! Kick some butt out there! I'm pulling for you:drinker:
  • chriss1tt
    chriss1tt Posts: 365 Member
    great job.:happy: good luck sat tooooooooooo.:glasses:
  • banks1850
    I'm tired now. Mental note, DO NOT do legs the day before a 5K, even if it is only practice, I imagine that had something to do with my time. Tomorrow I'm doing 7 mph for 25 minutes, that's it!

:yawn: