Healthy Eating While Traveling

JensLogin
JensLogin Posts: 74
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
Hello All:

I travel very often for work - many times back to back weeks. I have gotten pretty darn good at eating healthy while traveling and eating the right foods. In fact, I think I eat better on the road than at home some of the time. However, I find that I often frequent the same places over and over again, getting caught in somewhat of a rut.

I do not have access to a kitchen, so rely on what I can get at the hotel or restaurants.

I thought I'd throw it out there to see if all of you can come up with other places to eat while traveling that are still healthy. I would love to add a few more places in the mix to try and break out of the rut!

Thanks!

Replies

• sempernova
    sempernova Posts: 101 Member
    Can you get to a Trader Joe's? They have great single portion...healthy too!
  • I wish... they don't have Trader Joe's in the area I mostly travel to. I go often at home, but not when traveling. Thanks for the idea, I wish I could do it!
  • Kimd1972
    Kimd1972 Posts: 45
    I bet this can be a problem. Have you thought about trying the grocery stores for baked chicken and vegetables in the deli area? Whole foods would be awesome!!

Just an idea!
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    can you give me an idea of what you're eating on the road that's a good option? 10 times a year I'm in a truck with 4 guys driving to events that sometimes take 5 days to get there, we only stop for fuel at trucker stops, which is where we get food. I do pack apples, oranges etc, but by day 3 i can't even look at one ... share you're secrets!
  • Thank you for the idea Kimd1972. I've taken a look at the grocery stores and done this a couple of times. What I've found is that they pre-prepare most of this and it ends up having all kinds of sauces or oils added to the food - and we all know how quickly those can add up in calories, not to mention just not being healthy. Maybe I should go back and try again!!

Serenifly - Since you are in a truck and have some ability to carry things with you, here's an idea. Have you tried to prepare meals ahead of time that are healthy and pack them in tupperware type containers and put them in an ice chest? You could also get some items to create salads that you can add fruit, veggies or chicken to them. Of course there are always sandwiches - simple, but easy to control. If you aren't stopping at true restaurants, it can be harder to I see your point. Plus you will have to be thoughtful about what you pack, since you may not have access to warm it up. Although I've seen some truck stops that have microwaves to cook some of their foods in. I would imagine as long as you or a friend buy something, they would let you use the microwave to warm up your tupperware items! Just a few ideas to think about.

I guess the advantage I have is that I can go to restaurants or the hotel and ask them to specifically prepare items a certain way and without oils and butter added to it. It sometimes is difficult, but most of them are accomodating. It's just so limited. I did find this great place called Mad Greens... how amazing it is. They make your custom salad from a TON of options. Everything is measured and you can go online and put in everything you had on your salad and it calculates the calories and nutrition information. Loving this place!

Hope that helps! Happy travels.
This discussion has been closed.