reusable diapers?

Options
00Angela00
00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
does anyone use/have used reusable diapers? We are considering this for our first baby due in a few weeks and wanted to know what people's experiences have been? Any recommendation on a brand or style?

Replies

• themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,019 Member
    Options
    are you refering to cloth diapers? I used cloth diapers with my first one many years ago and loved it. This was when you had to use plastic pants and my 2nd daughter was allergic to the plastic so I switched to disposables.
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It was a long time ago (28 years to be exact) but my mom used them on me. I have very delicate skin and am allergic to plastics and adhesives (bandages are a no-go for me). She made several dozen cloth ones and washed them in the clothes washer after getting rid of as much solid waste as possible. She actually still has the diapers and uses them as dusting and cleaning cloths.
  • losingnow
    Options
    I personally did not use them with my kids but I have a friend that bought these new cloth diapers and she loves them! Super simple to use and really inexpensive. she ordered them online.
  • mcgrewar
    Options
    I used disposables on my first child and cloth diapers for my second. I'll never go back to disposables. I used, mostly, prefolds with pins and diaper covers. These are the least expensive. You'll save lots of money not buying disposables and of course you'll help save the environment, too. Good luck!!
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    We used prefolds and diaper covers until they got up into the bigger sizes, and then we used a combo of diapers, covers and all in ones. We love the bumgenius diapers! Sometimes we use disposables when we go out just for convenience sake.
  • anderson8480
    Options
    A freind of mine swears by them... here are a few links she has shared.
    Good luck!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lByIJcyLBnI

and

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/diaper-wars-battle-babys-bottom/story?id=11252355
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    I was going to use them but when I started potty training my first kid I noticed that whenever I put pull ups on him he would go in them anyways. I think that since it felt so much like a diaper to him he just went in them out of habbit. This made me think that if I used cloth diapers that whenever I would start potty training that underwear would feel like cloth diapers and my kid wouls have a harder time knowing when to go.

Weigh the pros and cons. Make a list of what would be good and bad about both cloth and disposable diapers.

Pros for cloth: Cheaper, might prevent diaper rashes (although I've heARD THAT THEY SOMETIMES DO), better for the environment.

Pros for disposables: Less mess (especially when you go out), some diapers feel really close to cloth.

This all I can really think of.

Good luck with your choice. Do what ever you think is best for your baby.
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    I was going to use them but when I started potty training my first kid I noticed that whenever I put pull ups on him he would go in them anyways. I think that since it felt so much like a diaper to him he just went in them out of habbit. This made me think that if I used cloth diapers that whenever I would start potty training that underwear would feel like cloth diapers and my kid wouls have a harder time knowing when to go.

Weigh the pros and cons. Make a list of what would be good and bad about both cloth and disposable diapers.

Pros for cloth: Cheaper, might prevent diaper rashes (although I've heARD THAT THEY SOMETIMES DO), better for the environment.

Pros for disposables: Less mess (especially when you go out), some diapers feel really close to cloth.

This all I can really think of.

Good luck with your choice. Do what ever you think is best for your baby.

I just read an article that actually mentioned that disposable diapers make it harder to potty train, because they are created so absorbably now that kids don't feel the wetness when they do go! I thought that was interesting.
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    A freind of mine swears by them... here are a few links she has shared.
    Good luck!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lByIJcyLBnI

and

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/diaper-wars-battle-babys-bottom/story?id=11252355

that vdeo was awesome! I went to there website and you can't order through them right now and there's no store near me :-( I found some on google shopping so we'll definately keep that brand in consideration. Looks like a great product!
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    forgot to tell you the brands that we liked:

Bumgenius one-size-fits all
    Fuzzibunz-these are ok...but I like the bumgenius better.
    prefold covers--Thirsties covers--whatever you do, make sure to get some with the leg gussets...otherwise leaks everywhere...especially with newborns.

We got our stuff from Abbyslane.com. Good luck!
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine swears by these: http://www.nurtured.ca/Scripts/home.asp?extra=8
  • outdoormom1
    Options
    I totally cloth diapered both my kids in the last 8 years. Wouldn't go back. Saved tons of money and even re-sold my diapers twice. There is a great forum called thediaperpin and you will learn a lot there. The market for used diapers is incredible because they are so easy to clean and sterilize. It can kind of be a fun "addiction". Congrats on the little one and best wishes.

Carol
  • kcurtis05
    kcurtis05 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    My DH's family uses cloth diapers and they swear by them! I love them. My MIL makes them, but tinytush.com has a lot of them and all the accessories. Call me a tree hugger, but I can't stand the idea of all those diapers going into the landfill. Our poor grandbabies are going to grow up and play on landfills. Also there are SO many chemicals in diapers that are harmful and unnecessary. Not to mention the money you save! The all-in-one diapers do seem pretty pricey at first but you have to remember that you can use them for years! Go for it! Keep your babe healthy, save the environment, and keep some extra money in your pocket.

Sorry, I will get off my soapbox now. :flowerforyou:
  • Brandzilla
    Brandzilla Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I used disposables for my first two children and am new to cloth with my third. My newest baby is 2 weeks old and I use Green mountain diaper prefolds and a few kissaluvs fitted size zeros. I have a few thirsties covers and a couple bummis whisper wraps. I love it so far. I haven't encountered any problems at all and have only had leaks a couple times with the diaper covers without leg gussets. I did use disposables until the cord fell off though. I'm a SAHM so the extra "work" of folding and pinning doesn't bug me. I don't mind the everyother day washing either. I'm super happy about saving money too.