number of calories a day

Options
hi I have just set up my diary and I need to consume 1500 calories a day. I am 106 kg and I want to lose .75kg a week. I have looked at other sites, and they say I need to consume 1800 caloreis a day to lose weight of the same amount I am confused! 300 calories is a big difference and I think 1500 calories is quite lean for someone who is moderatly active who weighs 106kg. Any ideas?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Did the other sites include exercise in the calculation. Mfp calculates it without exercise which you need to eat the calories back for.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Did the other sites include exercise in the calculation. Mfp calculates it without exercise which you need to eat the calories back for.

Yep!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Exactly. On MFP you log your exercise, and then eat back the additional calories you got from doing exercise. So if you burn 300 cals a day exercising you will still end up eating 1800 a day. But the difference is if you don't bother to exercise you don't end up eating calories based on fictional activity.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    hi I have just set up my diary and I need to consume 1500 calories a day. I am 106 kg and I want to lose .75kg a week. I have looked at other sites, and they say I need to consume 1800 caloreis a day to lose weight of the same amount I am confused! 300 calories is a big difference and I think 1500 calories is quite lean for someone who is moderatly active who weighs 106kg. Any ideas?

I am 54 103.9kg and consume only 1370 calories a day to lose I am quite active and do 2 hours cardio a day lost 19lb in 37 days. I have never been hungry or tired so seems about right to me try it and see if you need to up your calories do so after trying don't start negative because you die if you worry you die if you don't so why worry. You alway have the option to use the other site perhaps they don't expect you to eat your exercise calories like MFP.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

I am 54 103.9kg and consume only 1370 calories a day to lose I am quite active and do 2 hours cardio a day lost 19lb in 37 days. I have never been hungry or tired so seems about right to me try it and see if you need to up your calories do so after trying don't start negative because you die if you worry you die if you don't so why worry. You alway have the option to use the other site perhaps they don't expect you to eat your exercise calories like MFP.
    Wow. I'm 175 pounds and eat about 2500 calories a day. (I net 2100.)

But then I lost 30 pounds without losing any lean mass. I guess if all you care about is the number on the scale and it doesn't matter how much muscle you lose, then have at it.
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    1500 sounds reasonable and is my goal right now (well, 1450, close enough).

My suggestions is to give it a try for a couple of weeks, log your weight, caloric intake, and exercise EVERY DAY, then after a couple of weeks you have enough information to create a spreadsheet to calculate how much your total caloric deficit is over that period of time. Divide that by 3500 calories to predict how many pounds you should have lost thus far, then compare it to how many you've actually lost. If you find you are losing faster than predicted, you can up your daily goals. If you are not losing enough, lower your goals. Better to start off a little low and discover you can eat more than to "work at it" for two weeks and realize you aren't losing and have to go even lower.

With that said, I don't find 1500/day hard at all. And I eat back most of my exercise calories so I eat well.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

But then I lost 30 pounds without losing any lean mass. I guess if all you care about is the number on the scale and it doesn't matter how much muscle you lose, then have at it.
    I'm afraid no matter what you think you will have lost some muscle. Maybe less than you would have on a lower deficit but you will lose muscle to some degree in any weighloss program I'm afraid thats just biology
  • lucan07
    Options

Nothing to do with the number on the scales I am down 80lb from january, I am also free of Chemo, Painkillers, Steroids, and a multitude of other drugs. I also got rid of steroid induced diabetes. And am much fitter and stronger than I have been for years as for losing lean mass your having a laugh! you do like the rest of us unless you are super human. I know where the weight came from and I set a target to lose 2lb a week which with the amount I gained is reasonable and on target sometimes it falls off faster than others but I am in this for health not figures on scales. Judge people when you know the details and have the evidence to back up your claptrap!
  • ceebeez1975
    ceebeez1975 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yes the other sites do calculate exercise, this maybe why the calories are higher maybe? Sorry I am new to this, have lost weight before with weight watchers and my own plan but am keen to try this
  • ceebeez1975
    ceebeez1975 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I never said I was worried :) Just asking for help thats all
  • lucan07
    Options
    I never said I was worried :) Just asking for help thats all
    Not what I meant I was just saying stay positive.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    1800 is a reasonable starting point in my opinion if you are moderately active. I would try it and if you don't see results after about a month, recalculate and go a bit lower or add in some exercise. You don't want to start off too low, you want some wiggle room and it only makes sense to set yourself up so you can eat as much as you can and still be successful.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

Nothing to do with the number on the scales I am down 80lb from january, I am also free of Chemo, Painkillers, Steroids, and a multitude of other drugs. I also got rid of steroid induced diabetes. And am much fitter and stronger than I have been for years as for losing lean mass your having a laugh! you do like the rest of us unless you are super human. I know where the weight came from and I set a target to lose 2lb a week which with the amount I gained is reasonable and on target sometimes it falls off faster than others but I am in this for health not figures on scales. Judge people when you know the details and have the evidence to back up your claptrap!
    I eagerly await your evidence that your special circumstances are applicable to the OP's situation. Are you recommending she undergo chemo and take steroids too?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

I'm afraid no matter what you think you will have lost some muscle. Maybe less than you would have on a lower deficit but you will lose muscle to some degree in any weighloss program I'm afraid thats just biology
    I had a net loss of 30 lbs over 270 days. Much of that was a small deficit, and some of those weeks were purposely eating at a surplus. If it weren't possible to lose/gain muscle/fat at differing paces from each other, then bodybuilding wouldn't exist.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Nothing to do with the number on the scales I am down 80lb from january, I am also free of Chemo, Painkillers, Steroids, and a multitude of other drugs. I also got rid of steroid induced diabetes. And am much fitter and stronger than I have been for years as for losing lean mass your having a laugh! you do like the rest of us unless you are super human. I know where the weight came from and I set a target to lose 2lb a week which with the amount I gained is reasonable and on target sometimes it falls off faster than others but I am in this for health not figures on scales.

Your success is awesome!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Age and Gender do make a big difference in how many calories you get.

I'm eating 1450 calories to maintain
    I'm 145 lbs (67 kg), but then again I'm 51 years old, I set my activity at sedentary and eat back my exercise calories.
  • lucan07
    Options

I eagerly await your evidence that your special circumstances are applicable to the OP's situation. Are you recommending she undergo chemo and take steroids too?

No I am pointing out that people are different and without knowing the whole situation your arguments are your opinion based on assumptions you choose to make, the obnoxious manner you make them in an ignorant and uninformed manner e.g. (I guess if all you care about is the number on the scale and it doesn't matter how much muscle you lose, then have at it.)
  • Kabiti
    Kabiti Posts: 191 Member
    Options

I thought you could gain muscle while losing weight... you'll lose muscle, but gain back more than you lost.

For myself, though, I'm trying to lose weight only... and if muscle goes with it then great... I'm fine with that.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

I thought you could gain muscle while losing weight... you'll lose muscle, but gain back more than you lost.

For myself, though, I'm trying to lose weight only... and if muscle goes with it then great... I'm fine with that.

Um, yikes. You do not want to lose any muscle if it can be avoided. Even a quick google search will give you a lengthy and eye opening list on why it is important to maintain muscle.

Loss of muscle leads to:
    •    Pre-weakening of stabilising muscles: leading to overloading of the joints
    •    Cartilage growing thinner: leading to more frequent joint injury
    •    Overuse of remaining muscle fibres: leading to chronic pain

Strength training counteracts this – it gives us:

•    The means to maintain or increase muscle mass
    •    Stronger bones – a stronger skeleton
    •    Thicker and firmer cartilage
    •    Increased metabolism
    •    Improved fat metabolism
    •    Lowered blood sugars
    •    Lowered blood fats
    •    Lowered blood pressure
    •    Improved back strength – by strengthening stomach muscles