IT band injury?

Options
Can anybody tell me if the IT band can be injured by doing exercises in the 30ds? I started having some pretty bad knee pain on impact around day 5 of level 1. I did post about it in another thread. I was modifying some of the moves and I thought maybe it would be OK. I am pretty stubborn and I always feel like I should push through the pain. I only took one day off on level 1 then took one day off before starting level 2. I started level 2 today but I have to say my knees hurt for almost every move (over half). They are sore to move in general, but when I do something with a lot of impact the pain is pretty bad. The stairs in my house are killer now.

My doctor is away so I have been doing a lot of research on my own. I wasn't sure if it was something that will strengthen and get better with exercise or if it was something I should rest. It sounds like it could possibly be the IT band. Is anybody familiar with this? I am going to try and get into my doctor when he gets back.

Another thing. If it could be this, is walking OK? I like to walk about 4 mph and I push over 45 pounds (stroller and baby). I generally walk 50-60 minutes.

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Knee pain and knee injury is super common on the 30DS (google 'knee pain' and '30ds' and you'll see what I mean!)

You should be fine walking, but I'd lay off the shred, give it a little break for a while, and then try something different.

Get yourself a foam roller, and look up some massage techniques with that.
    Try some good hip stretches (look up a beginner's yoga routine for some ideas, or go to a beginners yoga or body balance class).
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    From memory I had a similar problem years ago (Iliotibial band syndrome) and it was caused by failing to warm up properly, I knew better, now I warm up every time. See the doctor and get some proper advice and treatment!
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will have to look into a foam roller, never heard of one.

I have my husband telling me to quit 30ds on one hand and other family members saying my body will get used to it and they won't hurt so bad. All I know is today has been very painful. Going down the stairs is horrible.