Too much cardio?

Options
Is there such a thing as excessive cardio, I usually wake up pretty damn early and have a lot of time to work out before i get to my daily chores, i utilize that time with a workout, after school and homework, i usually go to the gym for lifting weights, but since i also have some more time on my hands i figured that i could spend it on ever more cardio, according to the sum of the calorie counts on the machines, i'm burning around 1600-2000 calories (I'm sure that's way off) but nevertheless, could that be dangerous or anything?
PS: My goal is weight loss and i do feel that i have the energy for this, i usually do this daily without feeling like it's wrecking me or anything

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I doubt you are burning that many calories and, unless you experience symptoms of overtraining, it's not "too much".

The biggest potential drawback of doing ANY high-volume routine--regardless of the activity--is that, because of the energy required to keep up the workouts, you start doing a lot of "crap minutes"--i.e. workouts at a lower intensity or lack of focus. You want to make sure you maintain the quality of your basic workouts. If there is a conflict, that might mean losing some of the "fill in" sessions or turning them into more "activity" than "exercise".
  • ixmardukxi
    Options
    I'm pretty sure i don't burn that much as well, unless my heart rate is accurately measured, there is no real way to know, and I usually give it my all, I'm pretty sure those "crap minutes" don't exist in my workout, like i said, i don't feel like it's having a negative effect on me or my workouts
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I personally listen to my body and it will set the tone for when I need to shut it down for a rest day... (Today was that day). I train hard and eat to fuel those workouts. Even though it is itself an estimation I would still invest in a good HRM (I use a Polar FT60) to get a more accurate calorie burn.. I would be really surprised if you were burning that many calories... Best of Luck
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Is there such a thing as excessive cardio...

There is such a thing as taking on too much cardio, too quickly. And not everybody has the body structure to run half marathons three times a week. But until you get to that point, if we're talking about 5k-10k run type of activity a few times a week, I wouldn't worry about being excessive.

The standard principle remains in effect - take it slow and listen to your body - it will tell you if you're reaching a natural limit on any given exercise.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give is to pay attention to the signals your body is giving you. As long as you have the time and the energy, and you're feeling good, there's no reason not to work out as much as you'd like. Professional athletes work out for hours each day so why not you? Just be sure to give yourself one complete rest day every week and pay attention to any niggling pains, beyond the occasional twinge or ache, that might become full blown injuries. These would be things like aching shins (shin splints) or joints. If you start having any kind of pain with every workout your body is telling you to slow down.
  • ixmardukxi
    Options
    Thanks for the advice all, my calves actually started to hurt not so long ago which was a bit of a concern for me, definitely gonna give myself a rest
  • katiehrgovic
    katiehrgovic Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    "Calories Burned" counters on any cardio machine are notoriously incorrect. They are not calibrated to YOU. Be wary with doing steady state cardio as well. There is loads of evidence out there (google it) that steady state cardio is not as effective at fat burning as HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). HIIT is a quicker, more effective way to burn fat while preserving hard-earned muscle. I know this from experience as well. Last year I spent about an hour a day, 5 days a week doing cardio and also weight training. I didn't gain an ounce of muscle even though I was weight training. I have recently gone down to 1 or 2 HIIT sessions a week and 4 weight training sessions a week, (not to mention eating about 800 more calories) and I have never felt leaner. Cardio exercise is great, it can boost your mood and relieve stress, but just be careful with doing too much. And if you do a lot, make sure you're fueling your cardio with adequate calories. Girls are sort of brain washed to think that weight training will make them look like a man, and that doing endless amounts of cardio and eating like a bird is the only way to lose weight, I assure you, THERE IS A BETTER WAY! You will maintain your sanity and happiness by easing off the cardio, lifting heavier and eating more! I hope this helps :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if you like it, do it! if you can keep up that rhythm, go for it.

but in my opinion, there should be some level of balance.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice all, my calves actually started to hurt not so long ago which was a bit of a concern for me, definitely gonna give myself a rest
    This is probably standard soreness and you don't have to stop. When I first ran more than a mile I got the same thing and couldn't walk right. Kept running and it went away in about 4 days.

You're 18. Your body can take a very heavy exercise program. Doing an hour or two a day of cardio won't begin to approach overtraining.

Ramp up carefully but you can handle running everyday and be fine. I do it and I'm twice your age.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    I was burning similar calories with cardio 2-3 hours a day rowing, cycling and elliptical, unable to eat them back my Nett calories were low on a few of occasions under 300 once or twice under 100, so I have now reduced some cardio and replaced with weights. I did not notice any adverse side effects from the cardio but concern over the low nett calories prompted my change. I weigh and record everything eaten and calculate exercise calories with a HRM. So far the change has made no difference to the weight loss I was originally restricted to cardio due to healing from major surgery but the mix now seems to suit me better although restricted by scar tissues and two large abdominal hernias from surgery.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about sore, achy calves or other large muscles. In my younger years I was a gymnast and competed in karate and my muscles were *always* sore. Sore muscles mean you're pushing yourself and that's not a bad thing. It's what your one rest day each week is for. The things to watch out for are sharp muscle pains, painful joints and shin splints. Those types of injuries will sideline you for weeks, if not months, if you let them get out of hand.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Excessive cardio is muscle wasting. I love running, but there needs to be a balance. Sprints and HIIT are better for weight loss.