WOW!

Options
I have been doing mfp for about 2 weeks, and I started hitting the gym a good 4-5 days a week. Well, I gained like 2 pounds, but I measured myself this morning! I have lost an inch on my waist and an inch on my hips! I didn't measure the top part cause nobody wants to see the girls dwindle!:laugh: but Hooray! I was totally beating myself up thinking all this food is NOT going to make me lose weight. I thought I was eating way too much, but I guess not. I bet those 150 crunches are paying off too! I feel so much better. I can't wait to see if my waist keeps shrinking. That's all I am interested in... healthy waist size so I'm not at risk. I'd like to have a 26-27 inch waist. That's my goal anyway. Thanks for letting me shout!!!!!!!!! Good luck to everyone today.

Replies

• hamilton4beaumont
    hamilton4beaumont Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have been doing mfp for about 2 weeks, and I started hitting the gym a good 4-5 days a week. Well, I gained like 2 pounds, but I measured myself this morning! I have lost an inch on my waist and an inch on my hips! I didn't measure the top part cause nobody wants to see the girls dwindle!:laugh: but Hooray! I was totally beating myself up thinking all this food is NOT going to make me lose weight. I thought I was eating way too much, but I guess not. I bet those 150 crunches are paying off too! I feel so much better. I can't wait to see if my waist keeps shrinking. That's all I am interested in... healthy waist size so I'm not at risk. I'd like to have a 26-27 inch waist. That's my goal anyway. Thanks for letting me shout!!!!!!!!! Good luck to everyone today.
  • mablesyrup
    mablesyrup Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS! That's awesome and a total motivation for me today!
  • mickie
    mickie Posts: 183
    Options
    SAME THING WITH ME. I ACTUALLY GAINED 1 1/2 POUNDS AT FIRST BUT NOTICED MY PANTS ARE FITTING BETTER! YEAH FOR US!
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    That makes me feel better. For the last two weeks I've seen no difference in weight. Maybe my body is changing though!
  • cajunforfun
    Options
    You have to be very careful using weight alone as a gauge of success. There are several things to remember. Fat is a very good storage tissue. It holds 3,500 calories per pound. Muscle tissue is mostly water. A pound of muscle is 800 calories and water. It takes a lot of exercise to loose more than a pound or tow of fat during a week. A mile walk is only 120 calories about and it takes a fair amount of over eating to gain a pound of fat (but that is more fun). The take away points are 1) if you are losing more than two pounds a week it is probably not fat loss, it is normally muscle or water loss. 2) if you convert the calories in a pound of fat to muscle you will convert one pound of fat into nearly four pounds of muscle. Your percentage body fat will go down you will look better but your weight will go up. (3,500 calories in a pound of fat compared to 4 pounds of muscle at 800 calories per pound (3,600). So the comments that muscle weighs more that fat, this is what they mean.

Also the body stores ready energy in the blood stream in the form of glucose. The glucose is were the body draw energy for the first couple of hours of exercise or more most of your daily activities. By eating more healthy (with lots of vegatables and fruits) the level of glucose in the blood stream will increase. This is a good thing. However there is a tradeoff. For every gram of glucose in the blood stream the body will hold on to 4 grams of water to hold it available. So by eating healthy and having extra energy, you may pick up a few pounds but again it is OK and it is good weight. If you stay on such nutrition plans you will start losing fat that offset this extra fluid weight. But it is frustrating for the person trying to lose weight in the first weeks. This is one of the reasons that the Atkins Diet loses so much weight in the first couple of weeks (since they restrict carbs so greatly) but as soon as you start eating carbs again so much of the short term loss come right back. It is also why people are so tired on that diet plan.

Weight flucuates several ponds based upon the time of the day that you weighed and the types of food that you ate. Remember that an 8 oz cup of water weighs a half pound. A 16 oz glass of water weighs a pound. Most people will loose a pound of water weight overnight breathing (moisture loss though the lungs). A report released recently stated that by drinking a chilled glass of water will increase your motabilism by 28% (it did not day for how long)
  • jpwarner
    jpwarner Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Great Job.....

That is one thing that can be so frustrating to some that do not know what happens when you start to work out. I know I been pissed that I haven't lost any weight for over the past 3 weeks since I been working out at the Gym almost every day. But then I noticed my pants were starting to feel baggy on me and had to tighten up my belt. :love:

A pound of fat is = to a pound of muscle, but you have to remember that the mass is so much different.

____________..... _______
    ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||..... ||||||||||||||||||
    |||||||1 lb fat|||||||||..... |||||1 lb||||||
    |||||||||||||||||||||||||||..... |||muscle||
    |___________|..... |_______|

Sorry for the bad diagram. No one should ever give up from weight gain or no weight loss as long as your loosing inches, or more importantly just eating healthy is an extremely important step.
  • hamilton4beaumont
    hamilton4beaumont Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I love the diagram! Thanks!