weigh in

Options
Hi there everyone

just a question .. how often do you you all weigh in?

I was advised to weigh every day to track my weight loss but i have found that this does my head in !!!

I have seen small loss's and then this morning it seems i have put on 1.7 kg over night ... I really dont get it

I am still struggling with the whole "count calories / eat back your exercise calories" thing ect ect ..... maybe a blonde thing :noway: i dont know

yesterday i exercised heaps swimming laps (600m - leisurely but still slightly breathless) and walked for 1/2 hour in the pool
I only ate back about half those calories

when i was on the super high protein diet (where i have lost 23kg) i hardly exercised and had steady losses.

I am super confused... i just feel like i should stop weighing... its doing my head in

any advice is appreciated

xox Sharon

Replies

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, but I use the average for the week. It could probably do your head in if you aren't prepared for fluctuations :) The reason I like it better is that with my luck my weekly weigh-ins would catch that awful day where I look like I gained 3 lbs that week! Then I really get confused, lol.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    You gained weight overnight because your muscles took a beating from all the swimming and are now retaining water. You didn't gain FAT overnight.

I weigh myself once a month. The first of the month. The goal is to lose 3 pounds or more each month.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, but I use the average for the week. It could probably do your head in if you aren't prepared for fluctuations :) The reason I like it better is that with my luck my weekly weigh-ins would catch that awful day where I look like I gained 3 lbs that week! Then I really get confused, lol.

I think this is a good approach.

Also, re eating the exercise caloires: I and many others always did. I used only MFP's numbers and they worked fine for me.

That said, the best thing you can do is keep good accurate records, so you will know when and how to tweak your numbers. It's up to you to be able to change what isn't working.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Your weight going up is fluid fluctuation. Either in recently used muscles, or perhaps your Auntie Flo is thinking about a visit.

If you are sticking to the calorie counts, then you are not capable of putting on weight. You have to trust the process. Trust the physics.

You're relying on one of the fundamental laws of physics, the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but only converted.

Which is to say, they test the foods by burning them and seeing how much heat they are capable of giving off. They measure this heat in calories. It's an energy measure.

So that's all the energy that food has. And when you move around, that's another physics equation. Moving x mass y distance. That has a certain measurable price in terms of energy use no matter whether that thing is living or inert.

So they've worked out how many calories it takes to pump blood around your body, to make your lungs go and your kidneys do their stuff. And they have worked out how many calories it takes to make you walk x distance at y weight, and that is a quantifiable measure.

Then all they have to do is subtract 500 calories per day from your daily energy expenditure to give you a 1lb deficit per week. There will be slight differences, fluctuations, but nothing that will make a real dent in that huge 500 calorie deficit.

Trust the process. It does the work. For as long as you are moving mass around on this planet with this gravitational pull there are minimum energy expenditures that you have to be making to be alive.

As to weighing: weigh whenever you like. For as long as you are eating under your calorie budget you are using up stored fat every day no matter what the scales are doing.

I do a weigh-in once a week. Like I was at weightwatchers. Doesn't matter if I think it's water - the weight on the day is the weight I record. And I don't sweat it if I think it's saying something too high. it'll catch up next week. :)
  • shazzielee68
    shazzielee68 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice.. I will hang in there and hope that it all goes the way it should across the week :-)

xox S
  • leaaa92
    leaaa92 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself at the same time every morning, and my weight fluctuates up and down each day. But overall, my weight is going down. Just keep going, you're doing good! :smile:
  • forevertoday
    forevertoday Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily for motivation and peace of mind, but only accept the number at the end of the week for my final result

I don't get too upset if I gain weight within a day because I know it is impossible for that to happen over night when i'm eating less calories than what I would be if I was maintaining.
  • trochanter
    trochanter Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I weigh-in every day and log using an android app called 'Libra'. This app calculates trends and smoothes out daily fluctuations giving a prediction of when you will hit your goal. I personally find it good.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    weekly as a rule, first thing Monday morning as soon as I have woken up and can focus on the numbers on the scales.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. Bread doesn't rise when your watching it. That may be a bad analogy here, but it makes sense. May 24, 2013 I bought a size 35 pant. A week ago, I had to shop in the boy's dept for 28s and 29s, and they had room in them. I jump on my home scale 2 or 3 times a day, and it would show anywhere from 159.0 to 162.1. You want to talk about a let down? That was like a two week set back in a day. My diary is open, and you can see that I never go over over my calories. Weighing in that frequently, I still recorded when the weight went down. My progress report has many days between recordings. Each one of those days in between were a big discouragement. It is difficult when I am so close to reaching my goal weight. You may have weighed at a point when your body needed the 64 oz of water for rehydration, and not just for flushing. Don't give up. It is a lifestyle change, not a diet. I know when I get to 155, and move on to Maintanance calories, start seeing results from working in the gym, I may see some slight weight gain, but if it is a tightening in the arms or chest of my shirts, or in the butt area of my pants, mission accomplished. I have no butt, and would love one. From what I am told, that will take lots of time on a treadmill on a pretty steep incline. I know that I have not been this size since high school, and I am only at the very beginning of my gym improvements journey.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I have a habit of weighing daily, though atm I'm on a no counting/no weighing holiday. I recently cracked the 10 minute mile, so I've realized that though my scales may not be moving, positive changes are occurring.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Hello

I weight in once a week but if i feel i may be putting on weight i weigh myself as i find it keeps me focused but i don't weight everyday because the fluctuation are too great

hope you are less confused and good luck with your journey
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I am so with you here...it does my head in too and I am trying to stop this daily weigh in obsession! I am going to hide them again... and just bring 'em out once a week!
  • DiaryofaMadFatMan
    DiaryofaMadFatMan Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    At first, I was obsessed with weighing everyday. It is such an ego boost to watch the pounds melt away until I hit that day when the scale went in the wrong direction and I was like "WTF! I ate within my allotted calories and exercised." Now, I only weigh once a week: Sunday morning after my 3-mile walk.