Hello, I'm a downer right now.

Options
I am not new to forums but I am new to this one. I am half a pound away from the largest I have been not pregnant. I have PCOS and have been trying multiple things but no results. I lack motivation, self discipline, and positivity at this point. I'm hoping I can regain those things from this site and put things into perspective.

Replies

• kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    This site can do wonderful things for you if you give it a chance and really try. Everyone that I personally know that has used MFP for an extended period has had good results. Good luck!
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Welcome :bigsmile: This is a great place to find motivation and inspiration! Just remember the key is YOU. You have to make the choices that get you where you want to be. It ISN'T quick and it ISN'T always easy, but you CAN do this!!!!

Add me if you'd like a friend. I warn you, though, I DO push (friendly-like) as I am regular and dedicated to MY program and as such surround myself only with those that do the same.

Whether you add me or not, surround yourself with POSITIVE things and people, both on MFP and in your real life. Turn to MFP community if you need any help with ANYTHING as it can be a great tool (you'll have to ignore the rude and ignorant as there ARE some here, but 99% are awesome people :bigsmile:) .

Never forget YOU CAN DO THIS AND IT WILL TAKE TIME :flowerforyou:
  • Sorova
    Sorova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you're feeling down. I have definitely been there, and I am sure many other people here can relate. I suggest trying to use your frustration as fuel for change. Are you sick of feeling frustrated and sad, sick of feeling unhappy with your body? If so, there are things you can do to feel better, and it's simpler than you might think.

First step is to stop being so critical of yourself. You say you lack motivation and self discipline? Well, you were motivated enough to find this site and make an account. You're disciplined enough to keep trying and keep hoping, despite trying other things that didn't work. Focus on the strength inside you. Use it to make smart decisions that are about taking care of your body instead of fighting it. Stop punishing yourself, and look for realistic strategies that will work for you.

Start small: try to keep track of your food for one entire week. Use MFP if you can, or just write everything down in a notebook. Don't focus on getting the calorie counts perfectly accurate, just focus on paying attention to what you're eating. Eat lots of veggies and fruit if you can, and aim for a healthy amount of calories that's only 200-400 less than what you're currently eating. With a small reduction like that you won't be hungry, and you won't harm your body.

Try to get a little bit of extra activity in each day, even if it's something simple like an extra lap around the grocery store. Choose small, sustainable goals that are a good fit for your life and personality.

Don't fall into the trap of the "all or nothing" mentality. Don't let yourself get desperate and reach for a quick, drastic fix. The people who succeed at this long term are the people who do it the healthy, gradual, unglamorous way. Small calorie deficits, gradually increasing activity levels, and healthy food interspersed with treats now and then.

You can do it! It takes time, but you're worth the time.
  • LauraElectric
    LauraElectric Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are in the right place :) I've been using MFP for over a month and can honestly say setting this up was the best decision I've ever made concerning my health and diet. not just weight loss; but support, thinking carefully about nutrition and not just calories, getting and staying motivated...I think all of these things have been kick started by MFP in a big way.

I agree with the previous poster who said the best thing you can do is surround yourself with positive people. I know not everyone agrees, but I have found MFP to be an extremely positive place (with the odd exception in some forum threads, but never on my newsfeed).

I'm very active on here: I log everyday and love commenting and chatting with people from all over the world and all walks of life. Please feel free to take a look at my profile and add me if you want :) (That goes for anyone reading this too, not just the OP).

I really hope you can find the determination and strength you need to make the positive changes you need to at the moment. Good luck on your journey!
  • charish_doty
    charish_doty Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your replies. I appreciate all of the motiviation and kind advice. I promise I won't whine ALL the time :)
  • GeorgiaBGent
    GeorgiaBGent Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Heya,
    Biggest thing that got me motivated was seeing my weight I was 15st (210lb) now down to 14st 2lb (198lb) in 3 weeks. That time has flew by and I'll admit it hasnt been easy but seeing the difference has been amazing.... What keeps me going is the thought of wearing nice clothes again and showing my friends and family I can do it. Start of small don't think about the what the end amount you wanna lose just think a 1st (14lb) a month and aim to lose 2lb a week and you'll see the difference in no time.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    PCOS stinks. It messes with all of your hormones and therefore with your weight and your mood. And you never knownwhen you will find yourself doubled over in pain. Those are the facts and you have to live with them. The closer I get to menopause the less I am having of them, but I do understand. MFP is a great place for weight loss tools and support.
    You can do it. I am doing it.