????? elliptical calories vs. treadmill calories

Options
2»

Replies

• AdrianBry
    AdrianBry Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    you have to be honest with yourself. in your case the treadmill is kicking your butt more so I'd stick with that. I mostly never look at the estimated calorie outputs. If a workout is beating the hell out of you then it's your best bet to stick with that workout and NOT the one you can easily breeze thru NO MATTER what the calorie estimator is telling you
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Mix it up either way, the body will get use to the same thing over and over again and make it harder to get the same results, as for registered burns, they can be exactly the same between Treadmill and Orbital, it's about how much you keep your heart rate in a certain zone for the same amount of time, it's irrelevant what machine or what activity you are doing. obviously some activities naturally increase the heart rate and movement of more body parts at one time = a higher burn.

Cross Trainer works more muscles at once then a treadmill unless you are jogging on the treadmill ofcourse. Something i noticed tho i was bopping along to the music (usually metal or Electronica) while i was on the treadmill and when i started doing drumming with my hand/arms my heart rate went up considerably compared to just holding the bar and walking faster or walking and swinging arms naturally.

for me to start with Elliptical which we call a Cross Trainer was burning exactly the same as the treadmill about 20cals a min i ignore the machines cause they don't go by weight, height and age which all determine your natural burn, our Ellipticals and Treadmills at my gym do ask for weight and using that it registers about 10% higher then my Polar reports so i ignore that, if i set it 1Kg lower then my actual weight it registers about right.

get a Polar FT60 or the like and get a real answer, sure it may still be inaccurate but it's alot more accurate then a machine that is guessing or possibly registering someone else in the vacinity which they will do especially in a compact area like an average gym with maybe dozens of the same machine in a small space.

as for me i burn 10 calories a minute on average over the course of a 60min gym sessions, more in the mornings. On the bike and cross trainer it's more like 15-20 but i find with those 2 it's alot easier to keep the heart rate up for alot longer, on the treadmill i can't get the same results i use to so i just use that as a cooldown plus my feet and shins ache walking too much.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    you have to be honest with yourself. in your case the treadmill is kicking your butt more so I'd stick with that. I mostly never look at the estimated calorie outputs. If a workout is beating the hell out of you then it's your best bet to stick with that workout and NOT the one you can easily breeze thru NO MATTER what the calorie estimator is telling you
    You're ignoring the reason the elliptical seems easier. It isn't because it's a lesser workout (assuming she's pushing herself as hard as she can). It's because it's low impact.
  • Montarosa456
    Options
    Can anyone recommend heart monitors? I don't know where to start..... Thank you.
    Go with the Polar brand. Which one you get depends on what bells and whistles you want and how much you want to spend.

The Polar Brand seems very popular - I see many people using the FT40/60

Personally I use a fitness application to track my calories burnt and normally work on 100 calories for 10 minutes if I'm running a 10 minute or below mile - The treadmill ALWAYS gives me around 60 calories more burnt than other methods and I know by my heart rate/general fitness If I've worked 'hard'...I think it's hard to sometimes be honest with ourselves but if you hop off a machine and think 'I feel fine, I could just keep on goooooing' then don't rate it has a 'hard/intense' workout..

As mentioned the body does get used to the same thing so to shake up results try something different...Add a incline..Add some HIIT or longer slower training sessions.

But whatever you do..and regardless of the calories..ENJOY IT :)
  • hteejay
    hteejay Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Heart Rate monitor great one is polar.. fitbit is okay.. but nike is not as bad but polar has giving me best readings and can get at Sports Authority....
    As far as this question.. everyone is different. Alot of things depend, how fast you go a treadmil vs level output you use on elliptical. I can run 10 minute mile and burn in 30 mins 480 cals while elliptical in same 30 mins i can burn 678 cals.. Thats with heart rate monitor so its most accurate reading with no machine .. Granted i feel like i did more on treadmil, so again, it just depends on your body and what you feel is best for yourself!