1st/2nd year teacher needing help/support

Options
Okay so here is my story. Last year was my very first year teaching and I was so stressed out all the time and majorly struggled with eating healthy and working out. Over the summer break I started a good fitness routine and was eating healthy, but with stress and my school schedule back I have been failing at maintaining what I started. I have a new teaching position this year in a new school, and it feels like I am starting my first year teaching all over again.

I seriously need some help on how to stay self disciplined and keep my motivation AND how to keep up with an exercise routine and healthy eating habits. I am looking for friends that can offer advice, motivation, and support.

Anyone Feel free to add me!!

Replies

• RuthRW
    RuthRW Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    This is a great place for motivation and support, best of luck to you :-)
  • init2fitit
    init2fitit Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Oh yay, a teacher. I'm in undergrad right now pursuing a degree in education.
    I'm just going to say this: Prepare meals for the week and pack your lunch. Makes life so much simpler.
  • meltrigg
    Options
    I have been teaching for 21 years and still remember how hard it was at the beginning. I think the key to having a good work/life balance is being organised. Teaching is stressful at times - exercise is great for stress.
    I plan my (and my families) eating ahead and purchase everything I need for the week. I have a set routine for exercise...and I work out with a friend - which makes me go on the days I don't feel like it because I know she will be there waiting for me.
    Get organised with your class as well...I always plan the week in advance and make sure I gave all resources ready.
    Just remember...the first few years are tough, but it gets easier! Good luck!
  • krogers810x
    krogers810x Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat - it's my second year teaching but my first year in this school. It feels like I'm running in 97 directions at once (and none of them seem to involve frequent exercise!!). What age/subject do you teach?

I'll add you!
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow teacher!

I've also only just started my first proper job. New school, new kids, new flat. Everything new and somewhat scary.

I've only just embarked on my weight-loss regimen but I can see things will get crazy busy, too.

Do add me if you like. I teach History, English and Politics on Secondary School level.
    I'm sure we can keep each other motivated!
  • mezz123
    mezz123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    hey,
    i'm also a first year out teacher, and i'm trying to get on the diet/fitness wagon! I find it so hard at school. I'm also new to this site, and was hoping to get some motivation - i've really been struggling with it and also the food at school.
    Hope to hear from you soon!
  • simonkurth
    simonkurth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hi another teacher here. Feel free to add me. I know how difficult it can be to fit everything in. It is so worth it though :)
  • rebamay87
    rebamay87 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher too and on the tail end of reaching my goal weight which is to lose 60kgs/132lbs. Work/life balance is the key, and valuing your own health as much as you would your students.

If you want to add me, feel free - I'm happy to talk about how I went about it - but I'm not superwoman, I prioritised in a way that means I fit in my fitness goals too :)
  • rachael1805
    rachael1805 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher too, a high school English teacher in Australia. Though I've been teaching for 10 years, I still do alot of work at night, and for a long time resented not having my evenings free to exercise as I had both family and work responsibilities. I work hard to be a good teacher, wife and mum to 3 little kids (6, 4, 2), but I couldn't do all of that and a workout at the end of a very long day.

New grads have to work even harder. The stress of having a poorly planned lesson and the potential of things to go awry is very intense in the early year. Preparation is key and the time to do that is in the evening. So, exercise is out of the question at that time.

I had to find the time, which I did, at 5am in the morning. I'm about 6 weeks into this regime and it is honestly the best start to my day. There is something very empowering about exercising in the early hours of the morning, and knowing alllll day that the workout is done- the stress of when you are going to find time to exercise is completely eliminated. I know how much better I feel, how much my mental clarity and energy levels are improved, how much my mood has improved. 5am is not easy, but not exercising, and the guilt and sabotage that comes with that is way, way harder.

I can't exactly say your workload decreases over time (a teacher's work is never done) but it certainly gets easier!
  • AllyB613
    AllyB613 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'm late to the game and I don't know if anyone will see this, but I am also a first year teacher. I am so stressed and have found that I am running to my comfort foods almost daily to feel some sort of relief and peace. I know the second I hop on the health bandwagon I will be so much happier and have so much more energy, but my mind is just not in it right now. Do any of you have similar struggles with this?

I'm thankful to see I'm not alone.