Barely able to walk!

Options
2»

Replies

• icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    eat a banana or two, and drink some water.
  • Frankii_x
    Options
    Try Red Tiger Balm :) Someone recommended it to me and I'd be lost without it now!
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    1 - You have properly fitted shoes? If not GO GET FITTED!

2 - Slow down! If you are just starting your training you shouldn't be running race distance at race pace yet.

3 - Research and READ! You will save yourself a lot of pain if you do the brain work before you do the leg work!
  • sm_usagi
    sm_usagi Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I did think it was strange to do the longer distance at the faster pace. I will read some different plans and adjust. Definitely having a rest day today - I can walk again this morning but I am a bit stiff!
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 4 weeks and did 13.1miles today. After my 10+ mile days I tend to limp for 24-48hrs.

???

That's what I was thinking too.

I'm not sure what the question is.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I thought this thread was going to be about something else. Sorry.
  • xDawnsgrace
    Options
    epsom salt bath, heating pad, and lots of water.
    trust me.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 4 weeks and did 13.1miles today. After my 10+ mile days I tend to limp for 24-48hrs.

???

You don't think that's an acceleration designed to entirely screw up your legs, and that walking with a limp for two days might be a strong hint you're doing something wrong?
  • MrsRosenow
    MrsRosenow Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Get a rolling pin. Stretch, and roll out your muscles. It's what I do.

Also, feel the burn!!!!

OMG this totally works! I always do this when I am sore and man does it hurt to roll those muscles out but sure helps them!! I have also heard that the rolling pin method is a great way to stretch before and after a run!!
    Feel better :flowerforyou:
  • skadoosh33
    Options

???

You don't think that's an acceleration designed to entirely screw up your legs, and that walking with a limp for two days might be a strong hint you're doing something wrong?

Well it is a slow pace, about 11.35 min mile. And the pain/discomfort goes away after a day or so. I think it is expected after running for 2.5hrs. It is acute pain/inflammation. Whenever you push your body you will feel sore. Now after my long runs, I take a couple days off and then do a couple 5-7 milers during the week. If I were to push my body every day then I would have long term damage.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    i'm sure you're right and that going from zero to half marathon in 4 weeks is entirely wise.

good luck.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Well it is a slow pace, about 11.35 min mile. And the pain/discomfort goes away after a day or so. I think it is expected after running for 2.5hrs. It is acute pain/inflammation. Whenever you push your body you will feel sore. Now after my long runs, I take a couple days off and then do a couple 5-7 milers during the week. If I were to push my body every day then I would have long term damage.

I go for long runs of 2 hours 45 mins (15 miles) for my half marathon training (not every week, I work in a range of 10-15 miles). I don't have sore legs after, and as long as I foam roll on a regular basis I don't have any tightness either. I keep it to an easy pace for me (10-10:30 per mile), not race pace, and I generally finish feeling I could keep going. And i do a slower paced recovery run the next day. I've built up to this over a couple of years, not months.

The point of a long training run is to get used to spending the time running, without pushing our bodies too much. The race is where you should put your full effort not your training run.

I would suggest to you that you slow down (I started at 12 and 13 min miles for my long runs) and maybe rework your training plan. Just a thought.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any replies, but the advice I can give you is. Don't work on distance and speed at the same time. Extra miles? Take it slower, let your body get use to the extra pounding.
  • skadoosh33
    Options
    i'm sure you're right and that going from zero to half marathon in 4 weeks is entirely wise.

good luck.

I'm certainly not saying everyone should do this distance in the first month. I am not overweight/obese and have been athletic my whole life. I am just new to distance running. So most people couldn't handle this but some can. My wife also ran a 13.1 this week after 3weeks and her longest before was only 7 miles. We have done Tough Mudders and other races.
  • sm_usagi
    sm_usagi Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I did 3.5 miles quite slowly this morning after a rest day yesterday with lots of stretching - I was mildly sore in the calves during the run, but felt pretty good. So I will keep it on the easy pace for awhile instead of jumping to race pace!
  • meerkat70
    Options

good luck.

I'm certainly not saying everyone should do this distance in the first month. I am not overweight/obese and have been athletic my whole life. I am just new to distance running. So most people couldn't handle this but some can. My wife also ran a 13.1 this week after 3weeks and her longest before was only 7 miles. We have done Tough Mudders and other races.

i see. so when you said you'd been running just 4 weeks, you didn't mean 4 weeks from zero? or has it been an incredibly busy 4 weeks?
  • skadoosh33
    Options

good luck.

i see. so when you said you'd been running just 4 weeks, you didn't mean 4 weeks from zero? or has it been an incredibly busy 4 weeks?

Very busy 4 weeks. From no running in the last year to distance running, 83 miles for the month of September. I have done 5 miles a couple times last year and PB 6:52 mile & 27:12 5k. So I'm not completely new to running, just distance running.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Take a magnesium supplement STAT! Works like magic.