Exercise calories

I am curious as to what you all think about this. It has occurred to me that I walk every day for 30 minutes with my dogs. Every day. I have for years. So do you think this counts as part of my "exercise calories" or should I not log those in because they are just my normal calorie burn for the day? I do Zumba two or three times per week and count those as exercise because I don't do it daily....kind of scratching my head over this.

Replies

• roy7lorraine
    roy7lorraine Posts: 21 Member
    I don't think you should count the calories from walking your dog unless you are walking very fast.. from what I was told you need your heart pumping......in order to really burn calories effectively....I am not a coach but that is what I beleive
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Well are you listed as sedentary? Or something else?

If you listed yourself as sedentary then why not?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    It all depends how you have set your MFP up.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    my hrm suggests i burn 90-110 cals per mile dog walking -depending on route and how much they pull! i do log, alongside my other activity. i generally eat about 2/3 of my exercise cals, which most days gives me about tdee minus 20%
  • I live in the Sierra Nevada mountains so my "walk" is not really what most people think of as a walk. There is no flat, it is all up and down. My heart rate monitor says that in the 30 minutes (I walk about 2 miles, so it is a fast walk) I burn about 115 calories. I didn't list myself as sedentary but as the next one above that since my daily life centers around chasing a two year old or a 4 year old (my grandkids), teaching dog obedience, gardening and other activities that require me to move around alot.

I think I probably will not add in the calories from now on...
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 189 Member
    if you have a smart phone, use endomondo (it's a gps exercise tracker), you can also set it up to import your exercise into MFP