Advice needed: Rest day or Not

Options
I'm 27 years old and have never really exercised in my life. I currently weigh about 337 lb (153 kg) and am 5'8 (173cm) tall.
I did Leslie Sansone's 3 mile walk yesterday, and for the first time in my life actually completed an entire 40+ minute workout!

My question is this, should I take a day of and do it again tomorrow or is it better to push through and do it everyday right from the start? I'm a little worried about overdoing it and injuring myself but also determined not to keep taking the easy way out.

Would appreciate any advice from people who have some experience with exercising routines.

Replies

• langurmonkey
    Options
    Great job starting off! My advice is to get into the habit of doing *something* exercise related every day.

Jerry Seinfeld suggests that if you want to build a habit that you get a calendar and mark off the days when you do whatever it is you are trying to do. In his case it was writing, in our case it's doing some exercise. Once you have marked 2/3 days then you have a chain. Then you won't want to break the chain! It's the same psychology at work with the MFP logged in days, I find that it's a great motivational tool.

To respond to your actual question :-). If you are feeling good then keep going. If you are feeling lousy, do something less strenuous. Rest days are usually beneficial when you have been doing something that causes "damage" that needs to be recovered from to get the full benefit. This applies to things like weight lifting workouts, high impact sports, endurance athletics, for example.

Walking is great from that point of view, as it is good cardio exercise, gets you out and about, and doesn't stress the body, so you should be able to do it every day (from a recovery point of view that is). Even half a mile to keep you "chain" going will be hugely psychologically beneficial, and once you have set off, you might find that you want to do more!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Rest days are just as important as workout days. If you feel like you need a rest, rest.
  • TheLoneMarmot
    TheLoneMarmot Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Well done on that session!

I would suggest - and I know it's trite - listen to your body.

Especially at your weight and having never exercised it's important to watch out for any signs of injury, even though walking is probably the best exercise with least chance of injury.

So, if you feel like it, do so. But, if you feel anything strange, then plan a session for the next day.

But, of course with the motivation that you'd like to do something every day.

Good luck! :smile:
  • CindyArlene
    CindyArlene Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Thank you for answering so quickly!

Think I'll see how far I get this evening and only take a day of if something starts hurting:)
  • kjg1965297
    Options
    I hope that you consulted your doctor before exercising but besides that remember this is a life changing part of your life so it does not have to be done tomorrow. I agree listen to your body and start out slow and I suggest slow. Do not overtax your body because it will bite you. I started too fast and had to take a week and a half of due to injury, I do agree that everyday do something even if it is a stroll. Habits take 30 days to break or create so the 30 day mark is important. I can't now go without some form of excercise everyday. Good luck